Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Virginia Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum147/)
-   -   random question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1150849-random-question.html)

countryboy73703 03-27-2012 10:08 AM

random question

alright, I know that this is clearly the site I go to about my F250, HOWEVER I just bought in R6 sport bike, and I was wondering what would happen if I got pulled over in the state of VA with out a motorcycle endorsement on my Oklahoma license, I military, thats why I don't no, and why i have a different license, anywho, I was told i would just get a ticket, but i was wondering if anybody knew for sure from experience or something. The only reason that i'm asking on here is becasue I don't feel like joining another motorcycle form for just the one question., thanks in advance.

-Josh

GLR 03-27-2012 10:25 AM

Josh, thank you for your service.
Sorry can't help you on your question.
Have you checked with local DMV?

GLR 03-27-2012 10:34 AM

Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Don't know if this will help or just add to the confusion.

countryboy73703 03-27-2012 11:47 AM

Well I read thru and it cleared up a few things but I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is if I got pulled over on the bike are they going to take myout of state license or just a ticket..ya know? And I would just go get it here in va but I'm leaving in 2 months and I want to keep my Oklahoma license.. Sooo... I don't plan in gettin pulled over but you never know..

GLR 03-27-2012 01:00 PM

They have to make allowances for military and college students. I keep my residency in NY, NY D Lic, Keep a vehicle down here reg. in NY but get VA MV Inspection, and have 2 trailers reg. in VA with perm. plates. How's that to add to the confusion?

Dave804 03-27-2012 01:24 PM

As said, appreciate the service.

Thought about just walking into a police station and asking? That's what I've done when I ran into similar issues.

countryboy73703 03-27-2012 03:09 PM

Thanks guy... It's just a job, some people have a 9-5, mine just happens to be 24/7/365 Lol

Well I did think about just walking into a station and asking but thats like telling them, hey, im gonna break a law how much trouble am I'm going to catch...? Lol. And yes I have 2 vehicles and license in Oklahoma, and then the bike is here but only for 3 months cause then I'm changing that over to Oklahoma also... Really it wouldn't be a big deal, but the military will make it into a. It deal if they find out.. So that's why I'm trying to get all my stuff in the same basket before I have too much fun just incase I did get stopped.. Ya know..

Dave804 03-27-2012 04:33 PM

Seems like to me if you have all the hoops jumped through that you'd need to ride/drive it in OK you should be fine here. Just like when you're out on the highway, you can't run a radar detector in VA but you can drive a car registered in NC with an NC license.

countryboy73703 03-27-2012 08:20 PM

well the whole thing is that I don't have my endorsment on my license and I don't really wanna have to wait 2 months or so until I get to oklahoma, so if I took the risk to just ride, I'm just trying to figure out if i"m going to get takin' to jail, and my bike impounded, or If I'm just simply going to get a ticket or what exactly...

whitechocolatefrogs 04-05-2012 12:17 PM

Idealy you should have a motorcycle endorsement on your license (whichever state you choose), along with a military approved motorcycle safety course. Also should let your 1st Sgt know that you ride a bike. If you fail to do the safety course, have a M endorsement on your license, or wear the proper PPE your SGLI may not cover you if you get into an unfortunate situation.

countryboy73703 04-05-2012 05:18 PM

Ok... I know what I "should" be doing, but what I'm asking is simply what is a cop going to do if I get stop and don't have an endorsement?

whitechocolatefrogs 04-06-2012 05:20 AM

You will definitely get more than a ticket. Not sure on va law, but most states treat it as driving a car without a license. It will probably get impounded or trailered home, along with some heavy fines.

whitechocolatefrogs 04-06-2012 05:22 AM

And the heat from your command if you do get arrested or they find out about it. More than likely an article of some sort.