Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Ecoboost MPG (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1149640-ecoboost-mpg.html)

captaineddie 03-22-2012 05:46 PM

Ecoboost MPG

I've put a little over 250 miles on my truck so far. About a hundred of those miles were cross-country and the rest have been around town. I got 12.1 MPG on these miles. A little disappointing. . .
2012 Super Crew, 4X4, Ecoboost, 3.73

JeffHann74 03-22-2012 06:19 PM

While I had my truck I was getting 12.4 or so in town. By town I mean residential streets, stopping every other intersection. Average that with my hwy driving I was getting 15. Watching one of the fuel economy monitors I was getting well over 20 just cruising along about 60 or 65 mph.

They say it takes about 3000 miles to get em broken in and fuel economy really improves. I think thats how long it takes for the new to wear off and not getting into the boost just for the hell of it anymore. :-X04

austint513 03-22-2012 08:18 PM

Just finishing up a trip that went from east Texas to Tulsa, Ok, across the hills of northern Ark and back to Texas. Truck has about 8500 miles on it and averaged about 19.5 mpg. This is a supercrew w/ 3.55 gears and a bedcover. Have had to make the turbos whine a few times in short passing zones but mainly driving the posted speed limit with the cruise on. This is an average of the highway as well as the in town traffic.

flixden 03-22-2012 09:53 PM

I have been watching my mileage pretty closely since I got my truck, and it's pretty consistent. It has slightly been getting up since I bought it with 2.9 miles on the odo, now at just over 2K miles. I have to say I am extremely happy. Here is what I am getting right now, and hope it will get better in summer (I have ice on the truck every morning right now, LOL):
- around 15.5 - 16.5 mpg city. not like stopping every block, but city driving around here: lights, stop signs, etc.
- 19-20 mpg at 70 mph flat hgwy
- a solid 21+ mpg at 60 mph. Last longer trip was 21.4 mpg.

tseekins 03-23-2012 06:32 AM

Someone correct me here if you fee that I'm wrong. It seems to me that if you get good the advertised MPG's out the gate then you'll continue to get good to great gas mileage.

In contrast if your getting on the lower end of the MPG spectrum or should I say, crappy to partly good, then it may stay that way.

The issue comes when you take it back to the dealer and the tech says that the EB engines take 10K miles to break in. So now your stuck with a gas hog and no support on that issue alone.

To the OP, be patient if you can. Hopefully it gets better and WOW's you like mine has me.

jacknbella 03-23-2012 07:04 AM

As much as we all enjoy blaming our new trucks for poor fuel mileage, we can't forget about the different blends of fuels across the country. Fact of the matter is, our trucks are quite big and heavy with poor aerodynamics, plus they push a lot of air. Miles per gallon isn't really an exact science given our vehicle of choice :) Who cares though, right? I wouldn't trade my EB for the world!!!

ddrumman2004 03-23-2012 08:29 AM

Flame me but I don't get where one would think a 4wd vehicle with a 3.73 rear end would get great gas mileage. Been my experience over the years that Ford trucks never got that great a gas mileage anyway....especially 4wd trucks. Even 2wds!

I own a 2011 Ecoboost XLT with the 3:15 rear end and 2wd and average in town 17 to 18 mpg. On the highway at 65 mph...I have got as high as 27 mpg but averages around 23 to 24. Just depends on how often I wind up the turbos.....which is fun!

brandon4 03-23-2012 08:39 AM

Eddie my wife is seeing the same as you. 3.73s. Same mpg as her '10 5.4..... :-(

captaineddie 03-23-2012 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by brandon4 (Post 11612412)
Eddie my wife is seeing the same as you. 3.73s. Same mpg as her '10 5.4..... :-(

My last truck, a 2010 with a 5.4, got better mileage from the start than the new 2012. It was a 4X4 with 3.73 as well. I don't really expect great MPGs out of a truck, but I was hoping for more.

Pool Runner 03-23-2012 02:05 PM

The 3.15 & 3.55 are the Economy ratio's, thats what you guys should have ordered if you were looking strictly for better MPG's A 3.73 is never going to return very good milage. That ratio is for an owner that wants a fast truck or for towing.

You can't really cant have both but the 3.55 rear is a decent compromise in either the 3.5L or 5L. Personally I wish I could have got a 6.2L & 4.10 rear axle on an XLT, chrome pkg, SuperCab, but I could honestly care less if my truck got 15 or 25 mpg's that's why I got my wife the economy car Lol :-X04 to make up for my larger foot print :-roll

ericnottelin 03-23-2012 11:52 PM

Ok, gonna HiJack this a little. I'm looking at purchasing a 2012 eco crew cab 4x4 with the 3.73 gears (max tow package). There are no trucks with in the entire south east with the options I want . I can order one and wait 8-12 weeks for the exact truck I want. The real difference between the truck I want (3.55 rear end and rear camera) and the truck they have (3.73 and no camera). Now I can get an aftermarket rear camera for a few hundred so I'm not really concerned about that.

So my question is am I going to notice a big difference in fuel economy between the two when I'm towing and when not towing? I figured I would loose about 1mpg from the 3.55 to the 3.73. Just wanted to get the opinion of the group?

Thanks, Eric

saleen322 03-24-2012 01:31 AM

Mileage

I got a new Ecoboost last week; Screw, Larait, 4X4, 3.73 Max tow package. It has 234 miles on it now. I drove it to work one day this week. It is a 31 mile trip and my old truck, F250 6.4 diesel, 3.55 open, screw lariat, 4X4, would average 12.5 for the 62 mile loop, mostly rural roads, about 5 lights and about 6 stop signs. The Ecoboost shows 18.4 on the same loop. I drive pretty conservative and generally don't go more than 5 miles or so over the speed limit. My tonneau cover did not come in yet and the big mirrors (great for towing and I like them) have to drag through the air. I will keep watching it but so far, I am very pleased.

tseekins 03-24-2012 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by ericnottelin (Post 11616463)
Ok, gonna HiJack this a little. I'm looking at purchasing a 2012 eco crew cab 4x4 with the 3.73 gears (max tow package). There are no trucks with in the entire south east with the options I want . I can order one and wait 8-12 weeks for the exact truck I want. The real difference between the truck I want (3.55 rear end and rear camera) and the truck they have (3.73 and no camera). Now I can get an aftermarket rear camera for a few hundred so I'm not really concerned about that.

So my question is am I going to notice a big difference in fuel economy between the two when I'm towing and when not towing? I figured I would loose about 1mpg from the 3.55 to the 3.73. Just wanted to get the opinion of the group?

Thanks, Eric

If I were towing fairly heavy regularly the 3.73 would be my choice, gas mileage be damned. I see you live in Fla. which is flat, do you intend to remain in Fla while towing?

ericnottelin 03-24-2012 07:16 AM

Mostly, but we do intend to tow up to our favorite camp site in NC (up in the mountains) but only once or twice a year. We are looking at a 24-28' toy hauler. The last 24' toy hauler we looked at weighed 5600lbs empty. Add one atv, two dirt bikes, all the camping stuff, a family of four, the camper holds 30gal of gas (which would only be filled up once we got there, and emptied when we left), etc and we will probably be close to 7-8k pounds. While towing, I usually limit my speed to 65mph.

We do take the truck (due to the larger interior space and huge truck - opps I mean bed :) ) as a travel vehicle (no towing) if we go way out of town. We plan on taking it to Rhode Island in Feb and Arkansas to visit family. So fuel mileage is a thought. BUT, I don't want to be pulling a trailer up a 5-7% grade and my truck will only do 30 mph maxed out like I see a lot of other trucks that are way over loaded do.

Additionally, the big tow mirrors would not be available for the 3.55 gears. However, I was going to have Ford put them on as an accessory ($355.00). Definitely worth it when towing and great just to have while not towing.

Saleen, What kind of driving were you doing (speeds)? I know this truck will get great gas mileage under 60mph. The problem in Florida is if you do anything under 70 on the interstate you pretty much get run over. I usually set the cruise for 75 and usually never go over 80. I am usually a very easy driver.

With the speeds in mind. Using the gear ratios from the Ford's 6 speed and the different rear axles, with the 3.55 gears (in final drive - 6th gear) doing 74mph nets 1900 rpm. The same speed with 3.73 gears nets 2000 rpms. So I am saving a 100 rpms by waiting for the 3.55 gears. Not sure if the 100 rmp is worth it or not? Thus my post.

Panzerbrumbar 03-24-2012 07:45 AM

Where I work there is a total of 5 F150's all 4x4's. One is 5.4 3.73, Two are 5.0 with 3.55 and 3.73's, Then my Eco and another Eco both with 3.73. The two 5.0's 16mpg lifetime average, then the 5.4 15 mpg owner figured out, the Eco's are last 13 and 14 mpg. With that being said it does seem like the Eco's are doing a little better in the warmer weather. So far I will say I am disappointed with the entire ecoboost experience. I have already had in the shop twice for PCM updates and the tranny leak. It will be going in for the boost pop off valve as soon as parts show up. Still unsure how Ford plans on getting rid of the misfire as the engine acts like a water pump. Between lackluster mpg and with certain other issues still not addressed the 5.0 is a better engine in my eyes till the issues are fixed with ecoboost.