Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   05 expy EB harsh suspension! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1148982-05-expy-eb-harsh-suspension.html)

Hongster 03-20-2012 07:35 AM

05 expy EB harsh suspension!

I though I would give Detroit's cars another chance, but so far I'm not liking it. My 05 EB expy's ride is much harsher than my 04 4runner! What is up with that?

I would like to explore another suspension setup rather than OEM. If anyone knows of a good replacement source please let me know.

BTW, this car has only 47K miles on her. TIA.

ABolt1 03-20-2012 11:59 AM

Are you sure your suspension is OEM? If you didn't buy it new, I would suspect it is not, as the Expedition is one of the most softly-sprung vehicles I've ever ridden in. My '03 XLT 4x4 rode like a sofa on wheels until I swapped out the OEM shocks with Bilstein HDs to firm up the ride a bit. Let up know if your suspension includes any after-market equipment...

Hongster 03-20-2012 05:12 PM

It's all original OEM, I crawled under there today saw the struts and the Ford emblem on them.

Could it be because it has a heavy duty towing package and therefore the suspension is much stiffer?

Or could it be the tires? It has Firestone Destination A/T the pressure is set at 36PSI.

I wish mine rides like a SOFA :)

AirLiftCompany 03-20-2012 07:32 PM

I agree with Abolt. My 03 rode like a dream, it started getting kind of bouncy towards the end but I just assumed it was time to replace the struts. Mine also had the tow package.

You could look into swapping in the optional factory air ride. But I must worn you it might be more trouble in the long run. Many people and up swapping over to coils due to componenent failures after higher miles.

Hongster 03-20-2012 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by AirLiftCompany (Post 11600885)
I agree with Abolt. My 03 rode like a dream, it started getting kind of bouncy towards the end but I just assumed it was time to replace the struts. Mine also had the tow package.

You could look into swapping in the optional factory air ride. But I must worn you it might be more trouble in the long run. Many people and up swapping over to coils due to componenent failures after higher miles.

I'm started to think the tires are the culprits. It's in the 80 degree here today in Albany NY and the ride is just perfect, smooth and no clanking over small bumps. I'm going to wait for a while and see how it goes.

And BTW, I hear you about air suspension, too much work for little gain and I agree, them airbags are big bucks and un-reliable.

ronjeremy6 03-30-2012 10:44 PM

Another vote for the tires. Went from Michelin LTX M/S to BFG All Terrain TA on my 99 EB. Man did that truck feel harsh after the swap. The 05 has the LTX's on it now and I will be replacing them with the new M/S 2.

broncoholic 03-31-2012 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Hongster (Post 11600282)
Or could it be the tires? It has Firestone Destination A/T the pressure is set at 36PSI.

The pressure is correct, but are your tires P or LT? There is a noticeable difference in ride between the two. There is often a noticeable difference in ride between an AT and a highway tread also, as others have said.