Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   1970 F250 4x4 Cummins Conversion Build Thread - Lots of Pics! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1148949-1970-f250-4x4-cummins-conversion-build-thread-lots-of-pics.html)

koch26 05-12-2012 02:54 PM

Great build I can't wait to see morr

limeyellowfellow 05-13-2012 03:17 PM

Sorry to get off track, how do you subscribe to a thread? I'm looking at adding a diesel as well.

1972RedNeck 05-13-2012 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by limeyellowfellow (Post 11827339)
Sorry to get off track, how do you subscribe to a thread? I'm looking at adding a diesel as well.

You just did.

I just did too. :D

ryanhablitzel 05-13-2012 06:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I mocked up the 1985 Chevy 4x4 hangers and 2002 Chevy springs to see what kind of lift this set up would provide. Here is what it looks things look like loosely put together:

Attachment 235162

Looks like this set up will give about 5" of lift over the stock set up. I was actually surprised that there was not a lot more.

Attachment 235163

Measurement with the stock set up loosely put on:

Attachment 235164

Since I am going to need a little more lift to match what I am doing up front, I am going to have to buy a pair of lift springs to raise things up a little more. I am looking at BDS part #001559 Chevy 5.5" lift springs. These are for a 1/2 ton and should still be pretty flexy. I can get two delivered for about $450.

Attachment 235165

ryanhablitzel 05-13-2012 06:59 PM

Gas Tank Suggestions?

Anyone have suggestions on extra capacity gas tanks? I am ditching the in cab tank and want to install one between the frame. I was thinking about going with one from LMC:

It is a 38 gallon and I can get a brand new sending unit to go with it. It is for a 73-79 Truck, but since I am moving cross members in the rear anyway it looks like it slide right in. Runs about $260 with a new sending unit.

Other suggestions?

Ford_Six 05-13-2012 07:52 PM

That tank is a bit wide since the later frame is wider. It'll take extra work to get it in there.
Also, make sure the rear springs are up to the task. A leaf spring both suspends and locates the axle, so a really flexy leaf will let the axle move under power. If you want tons of power and flex, go for a multilink with coils or coilovers. This axlewrap issue is one of the reasons for the migration from quarter-elliptical to full multilink setups in smaller rigs, besides the increase in multilink options. My personal favorite is the classic three link, but a triangulated four or a properly done five will give you much more flex.
Another intermediate option is traction bars/links, if you make them about the same length as the rear section of the driveshaft they'll work decently, but you will lose flex.
I just know that even with good springs in my F250, I'm having horrific axlewrap issues with the diesel power. Since I'm running 2wd, it's going to get bars for the time being, but the next truck will be a multilink from the ground up.

ryanhablitzel 05-13-2012 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ford_Six (Post 11828084)
That tank is a bit wide since the later frame is wider. It'll take extra work to get it in there.
Also, make sure the rear springs are up to the task. A leaf spring both suspends and locates the axle, so a really flexy leaf will let the axle move under power. If you want tons of power and flex, go for a multilink with coils or coilovers. This axlewrap issue is one of the reasons for the migration from quarter-elliptical to full multilink setups in smaller rigs, besides the increase in multilink options. My personal favorite is the classic three link, but a triangulated four or a properly done five will give you much more flex.
Another intermediate option is traction bars/links, if you make them about the same length as the rear section of the driveshaft they'll work decently, but you will lose flex.
I just know that even with good springs in my F250, I'm having horrific axlewrap issues with the diesel power. Since I'm running 2wd, it's going to get bars for the time being, but the next truck will be a multilink from the ground up.

Thanks for the heads up on the 73-79 gas tank. So, basically I would have to grind down my frame to make this fit. Not a great option then. Anyone else have any solutions for a 40-50+ gallon gas tank for a 67-72 highboy? I haven't found one short of fabricating my own.

I had planned on doing a traction bar/link set up on this truck. Since this is my first 4x4 build, I am trying to keep things as simple as possible within reason. Someday it would be nice to do a 3 link on a custom frame rock crawler with a narrowed front clip, but I will save that for another day.

The goal for this truck is to strike a balance between towing, off road capability, and power/fuel economy.

crazed87bronco 05-14-2012 02:31 PM

i think ill be putting in a mustang fuel tank in between my rear rails where the spare tire should go from what i see it should just be a matter of moving the crossmember back some and build a frame for the gas tank to sit in. what are you doing for your engine mounts for the cummins? are you going to use the poly bushings if so what size? or what i'm trying to decide what kind of setup i want or mine im at the point now where ill be welding up some mounts looking for ideas

ryanhablitzel 05-14-2012 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by crazed87bronco (Post 11831365)
i think ill be putting in a mustang fuel tank in between my rear rails where the spare tire should go from what i see it should just be a matter of moving the crossmember back some and build a frame for the gas tank to sit in. what are you doing for your engine mounts for the cummins? are you going to use the poly bushings if so what size? or what i'm trying to decide what kind of setup i want or mine im at the point now where ill be welding up some mounts looking for ideas

I can't say for sure regarding the motor mounts yet until I have the motor hanging between the frame rails and take a serious look at everything. I have seen guys do a couple of different things. Some modify the stock dodge motor mounts and others build motor mounts from scratch.

I had the same idea regarding the location of the gas tank. I am just trying to find a tank that can hold 40-50 gallons of gas. I may have to take another serious look at the 73-79 extra capacity tank from LMC.

crazed87bronco 05-15-2012 12:34 AM

Have you looked into the long square shaped gas tanks that run longways down the side of the truck? I don't think you will find many tanks with the capacity your wanting without hacking into the tank to make it work what about using a early mustang tank fits between frame rails doesn't have the capacity you want but maybe you can fab one in front of the other not sure if your truck is long enough or not to do that though something to think about

1972RedNeck 05-16-2012 06:01 PM

A 40 gallon tank from a late 70's/80's/90's suburban works great.

ryanhablitzel 05-16-2012 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck (Post 11841114)
A 40 gallon tank from a late 70's/80's/90's suburban works great.

Thanks for the imput! I was just starting to consider this option. My friend down the street has a 50 gallon suburban tank in his 80's chevy truck that I was going to take a look at. I will measure things up and see how it all comes together. :-X21

crazed87bronco 05-16-2012 10:23 PM

Be sure to post what you find out I want to eventually just run fuel tanks under the truck and get rid of the in cab tank but I want more then 19 gallon or whatever the mustang tanks hold a 50 gallon would be nice

ryanhablitzel 05-18-2012 12:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Measured my friends suburban gas tank in his mid 80's chevy truck today. Its 28"!!! That means that it will fit nicely between the frame rails on a 1967-1972 Ford after moving the cross member!!! He thought it was a 50 gallon gas tank, but all I can find is 31 gallon gas tanks for 1982-1991 Suburban. But 31 gallons is a whole lot better than 18!!!

Here is a good option that I found:

MTS COMPANY, L.C. - Plastic fuel tanks for Jeep, Ford, Chevy, Scout, willys, and Toyota

Attachment 235166

They offer a diesel sending unit to match. Not sure if that would make a difference.

Attachment 235167

Another option would be to grab one at pick and pull or find a cheaper new steel version online. I will definitely be using this type of gas tank, but I am not sure what option I will go with yet. I will document this when the time comes. 8D

1972RedNeck 05-18-2012 02:52 PM

Summit racing has '82 to '91 40 gallon tanks. If you're going off road, the 31 will be better as it doesn't hang as low. The 25 gallon tank in my cummins will take me 450 miles.