Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Need new Pcm For Early 1999 F250 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1148946-need-new-pcm-for-early-1999-f250-super-duty.html)

texastrucksrock 03-20-2012 12:04 AM

Need new Pcm For Early 1999 F250 Super Duty

I am in need of a PCM for my Early 1999 F-250 Power Stroke 7.3L. I have read some other posts and have found that I can use other PCM's other than the XLE4 that the truck currently has? Any advice or help will be highly appreciated.:-jammin

BigAlsPSD 03-20-2012 12:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes you can use other PCM's not sure on exacts but DPC-402 or DPC-422 I think will work.

Attachment 51831

If I can ask though...Why do you think you need a new PCM?

texastrucksrock 03-20-2012 12:26 AM

The truck started running rough and so I took it to a mechanic. He said that there was no comunication between the computer and the engine. He unplugged the batteries to reset the computer and still no response. So after checking fuses and connections he came to the conclusion that the PCM was bad.

BigAlsPSD 03-20-2012 12:32 AM

I think you need a new mechanic personally. Probably threw a P0605, P1000, or something. Do you happen to know what codes?

Do you get a "Wait to Start" light?

100% sure all fuses are good? If the fuse for the cigarette lighter blows, a diagnostic scanner will not connect to the OBDII port, if the fuse for the Fuel bowl heater blows it kills the PCM relay.

If your truck was running I wouldn't start by replacing the PCM.

I would start with the under valve cover wiring harnesses only with the little tiny bit of info of "running rough". Or fuel pressure.

Welcome to FTE, please stick around, and we really will try to help and save money.

texastrucksrock 03-20-2012 12:42 AM

Thanks for the welcome,
The truck is not putting out any codes. He did check fuel pressure and that checked out ok. My wait to start is working fine. I will check all the fuses inside the truck because all of the fuses under the hood were fine. I know for a fact that my e-brake light comes on every other time I depress it so that fuse may be out or going out.

Thanks.

BigAlsPSD 03-20-2012 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by texastrucksrock (Post 11597732)
Thanks for the welcome,
The truck is not putting out any codes. He did check fuel pressure and that checked out ok. My wait to start is working fine. I will check all the fuses inside the truck because all of the fuses under the hood were fine. I know for a fact that my e-brake light comes on every other time I depress it so that fuse may be out or going out.

Thanks.

The E-brake light is likely just a "dirty" switch. If you spray some electrical cleaner or even WD 40 and work the switch it's probably fine.

I could be completely wrong trying to diagnose a bad PCM versus a "professional" mechanic, but you just really don't see many go bad and the truck still run...

Camp250 04-13-2012 07:22 AM

Any new feedback on this? I have a 2002 built 8/01 that keeps dying. We've tried many things. CPS and plug, IPR plug, changed other chaffed wires, etc.. If you found your problem, please let us know. Thank you.

texastrucksrock 04-13-2012 08:13 AM

Well, we have replaced the PCM after it completely stopped running. It started but ran rough so we hooked it up too a diagnostic compuer and found that we now have signal from the PCM but the PCM does not comuincate with the IDM. We have checked all wiring connections and that checked out ok. We are now in the process of replacing the valve covers including the wire harness in hopes that the wires were fried. Once we put it back together tonight we will have more info. This has been a huge headache!!! I may ultimately have to change out the IDM?

Camp250 04-13-2012 09:00 AM

okay - please let us know. Sounds like this is where i might be headed as well. Thank you.

texastrucksrock 04-15-2012 12:16 PM

Still No Answers????

WOW!!!
Stiil no answers! Mechanic #2 is now giving up and has recomended another shop. He re-checked all fusses, all conections to the PCM, replaced the valve cover gaskets and wire harness on both sides, and had the CPM re-flashed and still the truck runs rough. He came to the conclusion that it is an electical problem because all mechanical components are functioning properly. If anyone out there has any input or ideas as to what direction I should head, I would be most grateful?

CSIPSD 04-15-2012 12:41 PM

User name leads me to believe your in Texas?

texastrucksrock 04-15-2012 12:47 PM

Yes, Austin.

CSIPSD 04-15-2012 01:16 PM

Where is Austin in relationship to Houston?

texastrucksrock 04-15-2012 02:31 PM

2.5 hours nw of Houston.

CSIPSD 04-15-2012 02:48 PM

Well thats quite a haul to take it to David at Diesel Innovations...

You need to run a Buzz test and a KOEO test, get you somewhere anyway...