Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   towing a RV with Expedition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/114738-towing-a-rv-with-expedition.html)

bigsam 04-27-2003 02:42 PM

towing a RV with Expedition

I have a 24' Terry trailer, weight loaded ~5500#. Anyone tow this much with an Expedition? I am looking to buy a 1999 - 2001 with the 5.4l. Currently I tow with my 95 f-150 ext cab with the 302. Need more room for the kids, how will the expedition work???

tyger25 04-27-2003 05:49 PM

Looks like it would be fine.....

"Ford's modular engines are available in 4.6-liter and 5.4-liter configurations (both gaining horsepower this year), mated to 4-speed automatic transmissions, with the larger 5.4 mostly needed for its 8000' trailer towing capacity . Don't look for a V10 since it is too long, but a diesel could be adapted if demand is sufficient to finance the emission testing."

Info can be found here.....Don't ask me how I found this site!

http://www.womanmotorist.com/review/...ion-9904.shtml

horseman1 04-27-2003 08:21 PM

We have a '99 EB and tow an older (heavy) model 24 ft. Golden Falcon T.T. it eats the gas up but pulls great, I've got a '91 chevy K1500 with a 350 and that thing will over heat in a heart beat. I'm real impressed with the Expy as fas as pulling.
Make sure you take it out of O.D. and watch your temp gauge.

deanjet 04-27-2003 09:22 PM

I tow a boat that weighs about that much. The Expy engine and tranny have no problem with it.
The brakes on the other hand need some help. If it was not for the fact that I only tow the boat for short distances I would have already added some trailer brakes. I have discussed this with others in this forum and they say they do not have this problem.

dkristja 04-27-2003 10:13 PM

Originally posted by deanjet
I tow a boat that weighs about that much. The Expy engine and tranny have no problem with it.
The brakes on the other hand need some help. If it was not for the fact that I only tow the boat for short distances I would have already added some trailer brakes. I have discussed this with others in this forum and they say they do not have this problem.

I see that you have a K&N air filter and a Cat-back exhaust system... Do you feel that it helps much with the towing or initial getup-and-go?

tsdrallyer 04-28-2003 12:55 AM

hi,
I tow a 2003 Trail Lite 8263-S which when fully loaded for a long vacation weighs in at the CAT scales at 5280. I've towed it over many 11,000 ft. passes in CO and the western states, 120 degree heat, 15 degree temps. No problem. I get 8mpg at 70mph. 9mpg at 65mph, 10 to 12 at 60, depending on grades and wind. This is without the overdrive engaged. The overdrive is not going to stay on, cause it will heat the tranny. Leave it off and there is no problem. With my LLS I use the factory hitch and two friction type anti sway bars. See my setup in my signature below.
Hope this helps.

deanjet 04-29-2003 08:48 PM

I can not say that the improvments were that noticeable. Both seamed to help alittle. The pipe seamed to help the bottom end out (or at least it sounds that way). I still need to do a little trip with the FlowMasters to see if gas mileage increases any.:-tap

Mud Doc 04-29-2003 10:59 PM

I agree with tsdrallyer--the trailer you mention should tow easily behind a 5.4 Expy. Had a '98 and a '99 and towed a trailer that weighed out at 6100#. The '98 didn't have LLS, the '99 did, and I would recommend that you look for one with the LLS--it really helps to keep the truck/hitch/trailer level. You won't spend a lot of time in OD, as the 5.4 torque is not enough to keep up speed, unless you have a good tailwind. Get a good electric brake setup--it will really pay off. At least one swaybar, unless you get one of the hitches that have the sway control built in (EZ Lift or PullRite)

I didn't have any problems with truck brakes--but you have to utilize the stopping power of the trailer brakes to keep the pucker factor low.

Gas mileage should be about 7.0-8.0, sometimes 9-9.5, sometimes as low as 5.5. Wind can be a huge mileage factor.

Have at it!

Outcast 05-01-2003 10:40 PM

I have a 98 XLT with LLS and all the good stuff, 5.4l etc. I pull a four place snowmobile trailer(enclosed) and at times I'm afraid it's gonna grenade!! I live in Michigan and we make annual trips to the U.P. and short of installing a supercharged lightning crate motor in it I don't know what I can do to improve it's towing power.

I have a 98 XLT with LLS and all the good stuff, 5.4l etc. I pull a four place snowmobile trailer(enclosed) and at times I'm afraid it's gonna grenade!! I live in Michigan and we make annual trips to the U.P. and short of installing a supercharged lightning crate motor in it I don't know what I can do to improve it's towing power.

tsdrallyer 05-04-2003 11:09 AM

Hi,
If you have a 2x4 its not unreasonable to pay for a new rear axle ring and pinion set, to give you a 4.11 ratio. Find Randy's ring and pinion on the web. That will dramatically increase your pulling power, and acceleration from start, while slightly lowering your gas mileage at high speeds. If you have a 4x4 it will be a bigger chunck of cash to change the ring and pinion gears of both axles, but worth it if you tow often and intend to keep the vehicle for a long time.

In either case, and cheaper for a 4x4, you can opt for smaller 16" wheels and tires if you have the 17" now, to reduce the tire circumference, but you will have to get an adaptor for your speedo sensor, to convert the signal back to normal for both accurate readings of the odo and speedo, and the engine computer. The latter constantly senses your speed to engage functions like cruise control, transmisison gears, fuel mixture, etc.

As the tire gets smaller in circumference make sure to make it as broad as possible to maintain the size of contact patch on the road for traction and stability.

Of course, you might not want to go the tire and wheel route if you travel off road much.
Hope this helps.