Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   2010 Extended Cab Rear Door Stuck Shut (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1146968-2010-extended-cab-rear-door-stuck-shut.html)

jimbob911 03-12-2012 04:24 PM

2010 Extended Cab Rear Door Stuck Shut

2010 Super Duty "EXTENDED CAB" 28,000 miles, no rust. Driver's side rear door stuck shut. Neither of the latch handles (the front side of the door or the one in the rear arm rest) will allow door to open. Nothing stuck or pinched in the door. Top of the door seems free, bottom latch seems to be stuck latched and will not release.

Is this a common problem with the Super Duty extended cabs? I keep all my sensitive electronic test equipment back there, and it makes the access darn tough when the door won't open.

I thought we were going to get away from having to go to the dealer multiple times per year when we traded our old "02 work truck w/ 200K + for a low mileage 2010 SD, but so far this has not been the case.

Third trip to the garage since November.

At least it's under warranty but jeez. It's a work truck. It can't do any work when it's sitting in the repair bay.

Jim

GreenPSD 03-12-2012 08:01 PM

The older trucks, like my 2000, have this problem over time. I had to remove the door panel and use a zip tie to tighten the cable. Not sure about the newer ones. My 2006 has not had this problem. I found the fix by doing a search on this forum.

jimbob911 03-14-2012 06:19 PM

I'm pretty disappointed with the repair this time.

"The cable came off for some reason".

Repaired under warranty. No new parts installed.

This is going to prevent the cable coming off again in the future, how?

Though the previous 2 repairs were fine, I'm inclined to think this repair was, "I hope it stays on until the warranty expires". That door gets a lot of use as a service truck. We'll see.

Jim

Dave G. 03-14-2012 07:09 PM

I don't remember exactly what the bottom latch looked like, but, I do remember that the latch cable travel was adjusted with threads at the bottom latch, and the way it was designed, lot's of rough road driving would gradually vibrate the adjustment. This extended the length of the cable, and eventually there wasn't enough travel to disengage the lower latch. To access it, I had to start at the top of the door on the inside, and remove the plastic trim parts, and work my way down to the bottom door panel. 5 min. fix, once I got it uncovered. I assume yours is similar since you have the same problem.

Dave

hunter301 03-29-2013 04:39 PM

Truck specs:
2000 F-250 extended cab 7.3 turbo diesel.
I have the same problem only now it's with both rear doors. Problem is I can't figure out how to get the door to unlatch so I can open it to take the door panels off to work on it.
Any suggestions?
I would like to get both doors fixed this weekend. This is my work truck and I am constantly going in and out of the rear seat, or at least I used to...this sucks!!

GreenPSD 04-01-2013 05:14 PM

If it will not unlatch from the top, you can remove "door jam" piece that the door locks on and attaches to the cab. You will have to remove the trim piece that covers it. This will allow you to open the door. If it will not unlatch from the bottom, no such luck. But you can get the door panel off without opening the door. I had to get into the back and work on my knees. Now if both doors are closed, then I guess you will have to climb over the seat. When you get the panel off, pull on the cable in several different directions until you get it to release. Good luck.

Dave G. 04-01-2013 07:23 PM

That's what I did. All from the back seat. Start at the top of the door, and remove trim, working towards the bottom. It isn't that hard of a job, but you either need a trim removal tool ( or a stiff putty knife ), and don't do it when the plastic is cold. The older the parts are, the easier they snap, especially when cold.

Dave

tomherrick 09-02-2013 04:46 PM

2004 extended cab; right rear door won't open; top latch releases; bottom won't. I've checked the lower cable and it works fine when I pull the latch handle. The whole area is rusty; bottom of door, striker, probably the latch mechanism. Thanks to an interior sheet metal brace I can't see or reach much of the latch. I can feel where the cable stop fits into the mechanism, but not where the cable ball slides into the latch actuator. And, the latch actuator doesn't seem to move when I try to operate it by hand; at least I think I've got a hold of it. Could be something else since I can't see. I've looked at pictures of the mechanism and it seems pretty straight forward. Bottom line is that my door is still latched and a truck is kinda hard to sell like that...

Suggestions?

Dave G. 09-02-2013 07:20 PM

tomherrick

It's been a few years since I fixed mine. Same door, same problem.

As I recall, I had to start removing inside trim parts from the door, starting at the top, and working down from there. Some fasteners are covered by the trim above them.

The connection at the lower end of the cable threads into a nylon fitting. Mine was a loose fit, and vibration on all the lumpy roads around here changed the adjustment. First it was just sticking, then sticking worse but pushing on the door from the outside, while pulling the door latch handle sometimes would release the lower latch. Eventually, that didn't even work.

I didn't replace anything, just removed the trim, readjusted the cable, and that was 5-6 years ago.

Dave

blakeusa 09-08-2017 08:44 PM

I am technically competent but can not figure out how to get the LOWER latch of the rear 1/2 cab door open.

Took off just about everything and can not see or access the latch.

Any help.
Thanks

David_h 09-08-2017 08:49 PM

Off topic but do these extended cabs have any rear seating? If so, how is it arranged compared to a Supercab?

Logan Lancon 12-29-2019 06:18 PM

did you solve this issue? I am having the same problem with my lower latch and do not know how to open the door in order to open it.

blakeusa 12-29-2019 10:37 PM

I can see the latch barely by laying on my stomach on the back seat. I believe mine is bent or so badly rusted I can not get it to budge. Have tried just about every combo of bar, screwdriver, etc to release the latch but its still stuck.
My next move is to cut an opening in the inside lower door panel sheet metal with a angle grinder so I can cut the lower latch and retainer off.
Then I will remove and replace all the parts and weld back in the patch.
Have no other options that I can think of....

Skeeter66 12-30-2019 11:58 AM

Blake and Logan, this is very common on the SuperCabs. YouTube has some great videos on how to repair. Video shows how to use a screwdriver to unlatch the door to open it and start the repair. I had to do this on my dad's 99 F250 SuperCab. Disassembly of the interior back doors is necessary to get it done. Took me about 2-2 1/2 hours to do both doors. NOTE...if you have to do one door, do them both. The other will inevitably fail at some point!!! There will be some slight adjustments to the striker but it is pretty straightforward.

Ford builds these trucks with inferior plastic ferrules on the cable ends for the door latches. They dry out and crumble after a few years. Amazon sells the kits with aluminum ferrules. You will never have to mess with this again afterwards. ***Pay attention to the sizes and shape of the new ferrules because they are location-specific. Each door has 2 cables with a ferrule on each end for a total of 4 ferrules per door. If I remember correctly, the instructions showed where the 2 that are different shape goes.

Watch those videos and Good luck, Mike

blakeusa 12-30-2019 12:31 PM

Thanks, I have looked at the videos' and have repair parts however even with the door unlatched at the top the lower latch
is locked shut and I am unable to get it to release trying many methods and a friend who is a master mechanic and body guy.

The small tab where the cable pulls is bent and does not engage the latch. I have tried many ways - its tight behind that panel
and hard to see let alone get a tool in there... so I was just planning on cutting as a last resort. I am normally very meticulous
but I can't find a way to release this latch. It is also due to the rust in and around the mechanism and hook on door jam.

May try one more time before going primal on it.