Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   What' the best scan tool ???? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1146707-what-the-best-scan-tool.html)

Bodger 03-11-2012 05:46 PM

What' the best scan tool ????

Hello to all, I was just wondering what is the best scan tool to buy that does it all !!!! I dont use it much so i dont want to spend a fortune. But i do want one that will tell me whats wrong when i need it too.....
Thanks... :-X22

amdriven2liv 03-11-2012 06:49 PM

One person's fortune, is another person's Dime.

Look into AutoEnginuity.

Order Online

With Ford bundle.

Will do what you need.

AZwhite350 03-11-2012 08:54 PM

I bought an ELM bluetooth OBD sensor off of ebay, and downloaded the Torque app for my smartphone. I'm still figuring it out, but it only cost about $35 total.

zhilton 03-12-2012 03:43 AM

Personally speaking, the best you can buy is an AutoEnginuity and the best price you'll find is RiffRaff:

Riffraff Diesel: AutoEnginuity Total Ford Enhanced Bundle

Now if you want something that's simple and easy to transport around...ScanGauge II fits that bill nicely. I think they're going for $150-$160 at either AutoZone or on Amazon.

steelhead2 03-12-2012 10:00 AM

Will the scangauge read enhanced codes like contribution?. All i can get out of mine is basic sensor codes.

zhilton 03-12-2012 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by steelhead2 (Post 11563742)
Will the scangauge read enhanced codes like contribution?. All i can get out of mine is basic sensor codes.

It should display the "P" code if you have a contribution issue/code. It won't let you run a contribution/balance test. Since I don't own one, I'm not sure what to suggest you check as far as calibration. Might fire off a PM to Blade35; pretty sure he's got one.

dchamberlain 03-12-2012 11:36 AM

I don't think I've ever heard any definitive answer on whether the Scangauge will read Enhanced Codes. I do know people have reported that it will list the number of codes (it will tell you there are 5 codes, for example), then read none or only a few of them. This suggests that it will only read generic ODB-II codes.

That's something that someone who owns one might be interested in checking with the manufacturer about.

Bodger 03-12-2012 08:22 PM

Ok what i was really looking for is a hand held device (not laptop). Ive got a basic code reader OBDII, I have a buddy whos truck cranks but wont start !! I just wanted a tool that would read all codes and tell me if it was the camshaft pos sensor or any other sensor. If that A E one is the only way to go then so be it.

amdriven2liv 03-12-2012 10:45 PM

Scangauge has numerous gauges available to check things.

It can be used for some diagnostics. Once a person learns what all the gauges need to read.

Here is a list of most of the ones that can be programmed in the Xgauge area.

Some of these have operating values. ( the ones in bold I have yet to see anyone get working)

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10227382

$169

Idahoser 03-13-2012 04:01 PM

ScanGauge II does not really qualify for what I would call a scan tool. It's a great gauge set for the 6.0L but it only tells me there are 4 DTCs, it can't tell me what they are. AutoEnginuity does. To be fair, Autozone and O'Reilly scanners didn't find them either.

I think you need both, but if you have to choose then get the ScanGauge. You need full time monitoring of oil and coolant temps, and frequent checking of FICM volts, ICP and IPR, numerous other things. It should tell you active codes. You can clear codes with it. It's a good trip computer.

The Edge Insight is prettier but costs a lot more, and doesn't do everything the ScanGauge does.

Bodger 03-24-2012 03:33 PM

Ok !! all sounds good but would the Scangauge tell me if it was the IPR valve screen causing a no start condition ???

LWW 03-24-2012 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bodger (Post 11618580)
Ok !! all sounds good but would the Scangauge tell me if it was the IPR valve screen causing a no start condition ???

I don't believe it will but I don't have one so i can't confirm that. I do have a generic obd2 scanner that served me well for many years but the PSD is a special case and I think it requires special attention if you want to have it in good operating condition for many years and that's why I spent the extra $200 for the AutoEnginuity + Ford add-on. Access to all the extra codes and the ability to test all the PSD specific functionality is paid back after one trip to the dealer for them to scan your ecu.

RiffRaff is the bomb!

Rusty Axlerod 03-24-2012 04:24 PM

You can use it to see ICP and IPR values in real time. It won't tell you what part is bad but it lets you see many values from the various sensors and signals to various actuators so you can figure out what's happening. It does generic OBDII but it doesn't do much on the vehicle specific stuff so it's not a great choice for a code reader. AutoEnginuity is software for your laptop if I'm not mistaken.
Lots of suppliers like Snap-On, Mac, or Cornwell have several NICE code scanners to choose from but there are less expensive options on Amazon.com or your local parts store. Some key things to look for are "CAN compliant", "freeze frame data", and "real time data". A backlit 3 line display is also very nice.

hotrodracer 03-26-2012 12:01 AM

Educate me on the diff's: Scan G vrs Insight CTS

Originally Posted by Idahoser (Post 11569515)

The Edge Insight is prettier but costs a lot more, and doesn't do everything the ScanGauge does.

Am/was leaning to the Insight CTS, but am intrigued by your quote that the ScanGauge does more, i.e. the Insight CTS does not have all the capabilities of the S.G. Does the SG support a egt probe like the CTS? I do not need extra add on cameras, bells and whistles, etc, but might want to add pressure's, or,?, in the future.

So what does the SG do that the CTS doesn't??? :-huh

npccpartsman 03-26-2012 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bodger (Post 11618580)

NOTHING will tell you if the IPR screen is bad but pulling the IPR valve and checking it visually. The SGII will read the ICP and IPR values. IMHO it's worthless as a code scanner but it's still a very good diagnostic tool, especially for the money.