Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   scanner tool (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1145517-scanner-tool.html)

briansadlon 03-06-2012 08:31 PM

scanner tool

whats a good scanner to get for my 04 f-150? about how much wiil it cost me?

Coskid 03-06-2012 08:57 PM

What I would actually recommend is get yourself a tuner to give the truck a bit more power and run better overall that will also read codes. I believe a good scanner cost close to $200 and a tuner is not much more money for a canned tuner.

briansadlon 03-07-2012 04:32 PM

ok so whats a good one to go with all my mustang guys say the SCT is the best out there but theyre like $349 thats knda pricy!!! but if thats what it costs then oh well ill spend it! Any feed back on what brand i should go with?????

briansadlon 03-07-2012 04:33 PM

also will a tuner be able to read fuel volumes injector pulse ect????

skunkoffroad 03-07-2012 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by briansadlon (Post 11543001)
also will a tuner be able to read fuel volumes injector pulse ect????

All of the tuners I've had Would only read trouble codes. I don't know what a cheap scan tool verses a code reader would cost but it will be much more. Good ones are 2002 4000 dollars

Greg B 03-08-2012 08:14 PM

Equus Inova mdel 3150 or 3160 is a good generic scan tool to get. It reads engine codes, trans codes, ABS codes and air bag codes. It sells for around $200 from places like the Tool Source on line. Autoenginuity makes a good product but you'll need a laptop or Palm reader to use their software. It'll do anything that the dealer can do. The Ford Enhanced software costs around $400 plus the cost of the device you're installing the software on. OTC is another good scan tool. It costs around $1000 and the upgrades are pricey. That's what a lot of indepentdent shops use. It can read the PIDS.

briansadlon 03-09-2012 07:21 PM

greg is the autoenginuity product the ford enhanced software ? i have a laptop already so thats not a problem,but is it user friendly or super complicated to run.400 is alil more then i was looking to spend but if it can tell me everything the dealer can its worth its weight in gold.

briansadlon 03-09-2012 07:23 PM

also will a tuner read abs airbag and trans codes?

Greg B 03-10-2012 07:36 PM

The Autoenginenuity I'm referring to is the Ford enhanced software. I can't say how easy it is to use as I haven't purchased it yet. But I do plan on making the purchase within the next couple of months. (Nothing is broke right now.) I couldn't imagine it being any more difficult to use than any other scan tool. I have heard their support is pretty good, but that would be rumor since I have no firsthand experience with them. A tuner will not read tranny, air bag or ABS codes. Most scan tools on the market such as Actron won't either. The higher end Equus Inova scan tools will read DTC's from ABS and transmission as well as engine. Air bag, PATS, and EATC codes can only be read with Autoenginuity, OTC, and other commercial grade scan tools such as Mac or Snap On.

briansadlon 03-11-2012 06:08 PM

thanks for the input. Ive been looking and i think im going to purchase an edge tuner as for right now itll give me lots of info i dont already have. I own an stx model so its pretty stripped not even an rpm gauge so its a step in the right direction for now. and maybe the ford enhanced software in the future. is that compatable with any lap top pc ???? and where can i purchase this from?