Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   4.9 efi valve cover gasket (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1144971-4-9-efi-valve-cover-gasket.html)

Vonn4.9efi 03-04-2012 09:13 PM

4.9 efi valve cover gasket

I need help finding a good video on how to replace my valve cover gasket on a 89 f150 4.9 efi 93000 miles. I can only find ones for other cars, and they dont show how to remove all the things on top of the cover. Thanks allot.

882tank 03-05-2012 12:09 AM

Buy a good Haynes or Chiltons manual. It's a pretty simple project even though the upper intake has to come off.

hotrod351 03-05-2012 07:42 AM

i did mine on my 90. when it came down to it, well it really wasnt that hard. the wire plugs will only plug into what there suppose to plug into. i remember you only have to remove the upper manifold section. it might help you if you take somme pictures on how the vacuum line go. it looks worse than it is.

dustybumpers 03-05-2012 07:52 AM

Hardest part is removing the egr, But you can cheat, and just let it hang in the air

andym 03-05-2012 10:12 AM

There are no special tools or tricks required. If you can remember which way to turn the wrench you're good to go.

Vonn4.9efi 03-05-2012 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by andym (Post 11531795)
There are no special tools or tricks required. If you can remember which way to turn the wrench you're good to go.

Alright sounds good. I have my chilton book, got it from the library today. The only things I have done by myself working on a truck is breaks, starter, fuel pump, oil change, spark plugs.

So You guys think I can handle this one huh? Im about to read this book all this week and maybe tear into it this weekend. Ill take the pictures, maybe you guys can get some lulzzz when I come on here bitching asking for more help lol. :-jammin:-drink

dustybumpers 03-05-2012 06:30 PM

We'll be here, you won't have any problem

FordOwnerJoey 03-05-2012 06:35 PM

Ive had to do it twice on my 87 300-six and i couldnt tell u how many times i had to take the upper and lower intake manifolds off. I could probably do it in about 20 mins now using an air ratchet. I can take some pics and show you what and where to take stuff off at

Vonn4.9efi 03-05-2012 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by FordOwnerJoey (Post 11533850)
Ive had to do it twice on my 87 300-six and i couldnt tell u how many times i had to take the upper and lower intake manifolds off. I could probably do it in about 20 mins now using an air ratchet. I can take some pics and show you what and where to take stuff off at

That would be neat if you could highlight all the parts that need to come off. Without looking at my book yet Im not even sure I could tell You where the valve cover is. Is it the thing I pour oil into? Sorry for being such a newb, being a 26 yr old guy I feel pretty pathetic not knowing these things.

FordOwnerJoey 03-05-2012 06:54 PM

yeah, it might be blue (mine is painted red) but its where you pour the oil in. ill take pics tomorrow during the day light and post. Your going to want a new upper intake manifold gasket too so make sure you pick one of those up before you get the engine all torn down if thats your only vehicle. I also recommend some liquid gasket like RTV silicone, I think I used black but red is for high temp I believe. The first gasket I got was a cork/rubber/metal combination but it didnt last very long about a yr or so, I just redid it a few months ago and got another gasket and then put a bead of the silicone along the gasket facing down and then another bead along the bottom of the valve cover itself. Havent had any leaks since. I couldnt find a rubber gasket for it and I hate cork, so if you can find an all rubber gasket I suggest getting it instead of an all cork. Cork is cheap but its for a reason....

Vonn4.9efi 03-05-2012 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by FordOwnerJoey (Post 11533970)
yeah, it might be blue (mine is painted red) but its where you pour the oil in. ill take pics tomorrow during the day light and post. Your going to want a new upper intake manifold gasket too so make sure you pick one of those up before you get the engine all torn down if thats your only vehicle

What are the things I should read about in this book?

upper intake manifold removal, and what else?

FordOwnerJoey 03-05-2012 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Vonn4.9efi (Post 11533984)
What are the things I should read about in this book?

upper intake manifold removal, and what else?

that and more importantly the order in which you torque the bolts back down. theres a certain pattern you go in both for the valve cover and the upper intake. My truck has already had the A.I.R. tube deleted so Im not sure if thats a problem or not.

882tank 03-05-2012 07:20 PM

The A.I.R. tube is not an issue. Just be sure to pick up quality gaskets, and make sure the VC gasket has torque limiters built in.

Vonn4.9efi 03-05-2012 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by FordOwnerJoey (Post 11534040)
that and more importantly the order in which you torque the bolts back down. theres a certain pattern you go in both for the valve cover and the upper intake. My truck has already had the A.I.R. tube deleted so Im not sure if thats a problem or not.

I found the diagram for how to torque the bolts and the nm. What Ill do is take a picture of my engine asap and get it on here. And Ill let you put a red dot or whatever on all of the parts i need to remove and maybe label it for me. The book says remove this, this, this, this, but I dont know what that is or looks like lol. I have allot of reading to do.

FordOwnerJoey 03-05-2012 07:30 PM

ok we can do that too