Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Ideas to prevent expensive HPFP system repairs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1144540-ideas-to-prevent-expensive-hpfp-system-repairs.html)

parkland 03-05-2012 05:20 PM

well there goes that idea lol, couldnt be that simple, could it.

rpbf350 03-05-2012 07:29 PM

I thought I read that the fuel system layout was in a tech folder? Is that correct? if so where?

camr 03-05-2012 07:41 PM

I believe that for most of us, the addition of supplementary filters is a non starter. I have done some very basic research on fuel supplements, and was particularly interested in the Stanadyne product. I inquired at a local turbo shop, and they recommended the Stanadyne Lubricity formula. Although it does not have a cetane improver, it does contain five times the lubricity of other formulas. This seems to be the one most important item missing from today's fuels, especially in the US.
Please visit the Stanadyne website to view the comparisons of the different fuel conditioner specs.

Hdslider 03-05-2012 08:02 PM

4 choices. 1 don't drive it.
2 add a fuel additive and drive the stew out of it.
3 proper maintenance, cut apart fuel filters.
4 get rid of it

B HOOFED 03-05-2012 08:08 PM

How about a quart Mason jar? Before pumping fuel into your tank, pump some into a jar. If it is clear and no water droplets are visible, go ahead and fill up. If the fuel has emulsified water (enough to worry about) it will be cloudy - don't fill up. The stock filtration setup can deal with small amounts of water. We just need to keep from overwhelming the system with more water than it can handle.

No filtration setup can guard against low fuel lubricity. A lubricity additive is needed with every fill up if you don't trust that the fuel supplier put in an adequate amount of lubricity additive.

parkland 03-05-2012 10:27 PM

I think we should steer this towards the original point...

What can be done, to these newer trucks, to prevent a 10,000 - 20,000$ bill, if you accidentally run bad fuel.

BTW the inline fuel filter I posted earlier, is worth about 1500$
On the bright side, because metal particles don't create much restriction, it *might* do the trick, all on its own. Seems like a lot of cash to not get a guarantee.

porthole 03-05-2012 10:45 PM

I have some pretty big fuel filter water separators on my boat. My boat can ingest some pretty crappy fuel (6-71TI's), but that doesn't mean I want it to.

My filters will clog up and stop the engine, water will also shut the fuel down.
The filters are staged, 10 micron primary and a 2 micron secondary. Each filter holds about a gallon of fuel.

My point is, the technology is here to filter the fuel properly.

I still think my thoughts of a "polishing" system, using an independent pump, multi grade filters and water separators would be the best idea for making sure the fuel getting to the the HPFP is at least clean and dry. PM-22 can tkae care of the rest of it.

This shoudln't affect warranty as it it does is filter the fuel.

parkland 03-05-2012 10:47 PM

i think your idea is good.

I just dont think it will prevent an exploding HPFP from wrecking everything else.

Snowseeker 03-06-2012 08:00 AM

I have the fix all for all you guys!

http://www.internationalpowerproduct...erstroke_l.jpg

GoCamping 03-07-2012 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Snowseeker (Post 11536290)
I have the fix all for all you guys!

Now that looks familiar.... :-X03

I'm interested in more detail on the fuel polishing idea mentioned ... any idea what we'd have to rig up and cost?

jim48 03-07-2012 08:43 AM

I fill my aux tank, then the fuel goes thru wix filter/water separator then to aft tank. I've never had water in any of the drains. However, I'm certainly open to any further fuel conditioning before arrival at the HPFP.

Also eight year user of Power Service. Maybe the Standyne is better at lubrication, but don't know about it's cetane boosting ability. Open here to advice also.

We've had some good discussion here(A little not so helpful) maybe we can come up with a system to benefit all of us. These darn trucks cost a forune I know we all love them and would sure like to do all we can to prevent any catastrophic failures.

Jim

porthole 03-07-2012 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by GoCamping (Post 11541336)
I'm interested in more detail on the fuel polishing idea mentioned ... any idea what we'd have to rig up and cost?

The equipment needed is already out there, someone smarter then me just needs to figure out how to implement it.

For boating we rigged up a portable unit years ago.

Hand truck, diesel compatible pump, USCG rated fuel lines and 3 Racor 1000 series filter water separators, using 30-10-2 micron filter elements. These are "turbine" filters so the pump needs to be able to push some volume.

There are plenty of commercially available units on the market now. One of those many things we did over the years that should have been patented. And if you really wanted to get fancy you could manifold it to enable filter change outs with out shutting the system down. Many bigger boats have that capability from the factory.

For our trucks though, I don't see why a frame mounted pump and filter system, using a separate supply line and dumping into the filler tube couldn't be added.

Every time you get fuel you run the pump for whatever time is needed to thoroughly run the fuel through the polisher.

We already have the switch on the dash.

porthole 03-07-2012 09:17 AM

Fuel polishing:

Diesel Fuel Polishing
ALGAE-X Diesel Fuel Magnetic Fuel Conditioner
Diesel decontamination

I had the opportunity to get in on the ground floor with the Algae-X stuff many moons ago. Didn't have the initial 7K investment.

WK15 03-07-2012 09:34 AM

Thank You for the good reading material :-X22

biz4two 03-08-2012 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Hdslider (Post 11534413)
4 choices. 1 don't drive it.
2 add a fuel additive and drive the stew out of it.
3 proper maintenance, cut apart fuel filters.
4 get rid of it

Got to go with #2 and #3 on that list.

biz
:-X04