Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Build Thread: '49 F321 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1144118-build-thread-49-f321.html)

49f3dls 08-15-2012 07:11 PM

No problem- I will get to it Friday- after I get all of the other things on the list my better half has for me to do. Have fun

49f3dls 08-17-2012 12:32 PM

Jeff- I have pics of the jag valve in a gallery DAVES49F3 and hopefully this is going to work to give you the pic https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...224274&thumb=1 in the gallery I put 2 pics one with the ruler in inches the other in mm hope this woks dls

49f3dls 08-17-2012 12:37 PM

One more thing- it looks like3 washerson the valve- I did not take it apart but it does have the nut at the end like the article said. mine is off an 86 XJS V12 narrow belt pump. hope that helps dls

Jeff and Nicolle 09-04-2012 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by 49f3dls (Post 12176648)
One more thing- it looks like3 washerson the valve- I did not take it apart but it does have the nut at the end like the article said. mine is off an 86 XJS V12 narrow belt pump. hope that helps dls

Thanks Dave, that info should come in handy when the time comes...if it ever does! LOL

Jeff and Nicolle 09-04-2012 10:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got my AOD torn apart and just bought some rebuild items.
I am glad I didn't try to use it as is....I would have been disappointed...

The direct drum was fried, a snap ring and retainer went haywire, but other than that, it is a go for rebuild! Bought a used replacement direct drum, a rebuild kit, a 2500 rpm stall lock-up converter, oh...and a shift reprogrammer kit from Baumann Engineering.
I gotta thank BlueOvalRage for putting up with me! Thanks Joe!
I got some real tedious cleaning to do, a trip to KY, and then time to start putting it back together.

Jeff and Nicolle 09-04-2012 10:56 PM

Ok...Ok...I admit....the coffee cup is just downright showing off!:-X22

ben73058 09-05-2012 12:00 AM

Hey Jeff,
If I can ask an AOD question or two...

o What Baumann Engineering "shift kit" did you use?

o How can you tell looking at the Overdrive Drum that it's fried?

I've been contemplating putting in a new Governor in mine to raise the
shift points ... Hmmm... I wouldn't wait too long to put that thing back together - there's a lot of pieces to that puzzle..

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Jeff and Nicolle 09-05-2012 07:41 AM

Sorry for any wierdness to this post. i am on my "smart" phone....not so smart...

Originally Posted by ben73058 (Post 12237712)
Hey Jeff,
If I can ask an AOD question or two...
o What Baumann Engineering "shift kit" did you use? www.becontrols.com it's the RK AOD $59.95 you can read about it there. i just ordered it yesterday.

o How can you tell looking at the Overdrive Drum that it's fried? It's actually a "direct drum" and its apparently a common problem so i have read. picture number 2, above, is a picture of the friction and steel plates that came out out of it. they should have friction material like a clutch disc. and the steels should be smooth and flat. these are none of the above! aka Fried!! lol the drum itself is discolored from heat. the aluminum piston inside is also discolored and even slightly degraded from the heat it produced while slipping.

I've been contemplating putting in a new Governor in mine to raise the
shift points ... Hmmm... I wouldn't wait too long to put that thing back together - there's a lot of pieces to that puzzle..

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Jeff and Nicolle 09-05-2012 07:50 AM

Ben,
I am curious about your setup and will get back to you from a computer instead of this "stupid phone" ... my fingers are way to big for these very small buttons!
i can get you a link to a decent tutorial on the governor removal. not a real tough job, but it sure is easier on a tabletop vs. under the truck!

barrnone51 09-21-2012 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle (Post 11987329)
It's been a long time since any update here. I have been busy with several items. But I finally and headed into a state of progress I guess. I got some engine work done. I got more to do, but I thought I would post some pics!
Enjoy or puke! LOL

Hey Jeff the pic of your motor looks great! Is that the correct oil pan! It looks flat from the front to rear sump. I thought you used the one that has a double hump. I looked at your early pic about which pan worked with the Jag front. Now I am confused but maybe you can help me. I dont know If I am clear on my question about the double hump Large on the rear and small hump on the front.The one on the rightin the pic. It looks on this pic it is flat from the back hump to the front.Thanks for your input sorry for not making alot cents. I need spell check.. George

Jeff and Nicolle 09-21-2012 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by barrnone51 (Post 12294685)
Hey Jeff the pic of your motor looks great! Is that the correct oil pan! It looks flat from the front to rear sump. I thought you used the one that has a double hump. I looked at your early pic about which pan worked with the Jag front. Now I am confused but maybe you can help me. I dont know If I am clear on my question about the double hump Large on the rear and small hump on the front.The one on the rightin the pic. It looks on this pic it is flat from the back hump to the front.Thanks for your input sorry for not making alot cents. I need spell check.. George

I now have a 5.0 from an explorer. 1996..its the factory oil pan. i think you are looking at the oil pan from when i was putting a 351w in the truck. i am on my phone right now. if you need more info,let me know. i am being short because i dont like using the phone for this. lol

barrnone51 09-23-2012 07:21 AM

Thanks Man!! now that makes cents:-X04. I got one on line the progress will continue..

barnfind 51 10-03-2012 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle (Post 11519627)
In these pics you can see my engine mounts that I fabricated. I tried an angular type engine mount and I didn't like the difficulty of trying to calc the right height, width, angle, etc. so I used a different route using the JAG engine mount
rubber biscuits or "crumpets" as someone called them!
The lowers are made out of that same 1/4" plate from the homemade bedsides.
the uppers are too, but wrapped with 3/16"x 3/4" flat bar. On the bottom side of the uppers, I welded (2/ea side) 3/16"x1/2" flat bar in , for stiffening. I was a little concerned about engine torque bending these. I still have some concern about that, but after seeing some of the skimpy aftermarket mounts...I shouldn't have to worry much. We shall see!

Hey Jeff like how you made your motor mounts. How much clearance did you have from your firewall ? I am about ready to start fabing for some motor mounts and I think I can modify my stock crossmember for the t-5. iam thinking do something like you did I first have to get the motor and trans where they need to be . i think yours are pretty beefy i dont think you will have any problem. George

arctic y block 10-03-2012 05:00 PM

Hey Barnfind? What is the engine in your avatar? I looked for it in your album thing and WOW Bud do ya drive that rig with the blower? That is awesome as all get out. Please tell about it some. Have ya got a build thread on here for it? Is that the engine in your avatar?

Jeff and Nicolle 10-03-2012 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by barnfind 51 (Post 12335541)
Hey Jeff like how you made your motor mounts. How much clearance did you have from your firewall ? I am about ready to start fabing for some motor mounts and I think I can modify my stock crossmember for the t-5. iam thinking do something like you did I first have to get the motor and trans where they need to be . i think yours are pretty beefy i dont think you will have any problem. George

Hi George! I have about a 1/2" of clearance between the firewall and drivers side head. I would prefer a little more, but it should be fine.
It's the drivers side you got to pay attention to because it sets back farther than the passenger side. If you do a set like mine, also make sure you have your oil filter on the motor or remote mount unit, whatever you are going to use. It is a pretty snug fit on mine. A 1/4" difference would kill ya!