Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Build Thread: '49 F321 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1144118-build-thread-49-f321.html)

Jeff and Nicolle 12-16-2012 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by barnfind 51 (Post 12600409)
Hey Jeff I was looking at your pic of the pan and was wondering how high off the crossmember are you? Also how about the space between your rear sump and the rack arm. I have about 1/2 from rear sump to rack. and the front pan about 2 1/2 inches. I am going to try get my cab on. I am by my self so have to prop motor and use the lift to move the cab. Lots of fun but I think i am pretty close. I do have the same pan as you recommended.
Thanks for all your help.Buzzy:-X04

George, sorry for the delay, just got home from out of town work.
I measured front of sump to rack...like your's 1/2" Then from bottom of the pan above the crossmember...1-1/2"....my IFS is welded to the frame.
Yours is soft mounted right? so we have a 1" difference. sound about right to me. Correct me if I am wrong. No need to thank me! Thank this great forum for enabling us to connect!

old_dan 12-16-2012 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle (Post 12536218)
Hi Ilya! I didn't try the rear set of holes yet. I just want to set it up and see what it looks like. I will certainly look at that! whats normal for a gap? 2" ?

Hey Jeff,

If you move the radiator back, I have one of the V8 filler plates that fills in the gap between the valance and the radiator. It's yours if you want it.

Dan

Jeff and Nicolle 12-16-2012 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by old_dan (Post 12604290)
Hey Jeff,

If you move the radiator back, I have one of the V8 filler plates that fills in the gap between the valance and the radiator. It's yours if you want it.

Dan

Thanks Dan! I need to figure out that yet. i haven't tried to mount it in the back holes yet. i also have been looking at the mounting possiblities of an A/C condensor in the front of the radiator. I don't have one yet, to play with, but the thoughts are rolling around like scrambled eggs...:-X20
i want a/c in the end, but not necessary to get the truck running.
I sure would like to see what that piece looks like. Thanks!

Jeff and Nicolle 12-16-2012 01:08 PM

I remember someone making a shroud out of cafeteria pans...don't remember who. I will need to have a shroud, either way, but I don't have a clue how to make one and make one that looks acceptable.

barnfind 51 12-16-2012 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle (Post 12604019)
George, sorry for the delay, just got home from out of town work.
I measured front of sump to rack...like your's 1/2" Then from bottom of the pan above the crossmember...1-1/2"....my IFS is welded to the frame.
Yours is soft mounted right? so we have a 1" difference. sound about right to me. Correct me if I am wrong. No need to thank me! Thank this great forum for enabling us to connect!

No delay for me Jeff thanks to you and this forum. Its great when you need some help and you and so many are there. I did get the cab on and it sure makes a difference when the cab in place. I am putting a t5 and the shifter goes past the center tunnel opening about 1 inch. I know some have changed to different tail shaft. I can live with it. this is a budget build and the t5 was almost free.Thanks again for your help. Maybe someday we can meet.:D George

49willard 12-16-2012 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle (Post 12604326)
I remember someone making a shroud out of cafeteria pans...don't remember who. I will need to have a shroud, either way, but I don't have a clue how to make one and make one that looks acceptable.

Jeff, That would be me. I believe that I have pictures in my gallery.

tjdad62 12-20-2012 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle (Post 12536125)
I haven't felt much progress this year. But the engine is close to done and the tranny is finally finished!
Took all year, but I refuse to use a credit card to build this!
I hope you enjoy it as much as me...
The front engine dress is '96 Ford Explorer...look at all the room between the fan blade and radiator! Hope everyone is doing great!
Today I feel good about the progress!

Jeff,
I am interested in how you secured the radiator to the old cradle. Do you have pics or is it just sitting loose right now and a fabbed mount will be coming later?

Jeff and Nicolle 12-20-2012 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by tjdad62 (Post 12620101)
Jeff,
I am interested in how you secured the radiator to the old cradle. Do you have pics or is it just sitting loose right now and a fabbed mount will be coming later?

The new radiator came with flanges welded on the sides. They are not drilled, but it mounts to the original bolt locations on the stock radiator support.
Drill the holes where you want them and bolt 'er up!

Jeff and Nicolle 01-08-2013 09:41 PM

No pictures tonight, but I finally got the F1 fenders that I paid for in July 2010...
The guy I bought them from was going to patch them for me and sandblast them...2 plus years later, I decided to just do it myself.
So thats progress...I have been trying to contact him for 6-ish months and finally he replied.
He is a streetrod builder and does some amazing sheetmetal work...just not for me...
I will get some pictures soon, but the rear lower 8" is cut off, so I will need to make or buy rear patch panels.

Dano78 01-08-2013 10:32 PM

Whoa! Sorry to hear that. Sounds like this guy is NOT a true street rod builder, but rather a joke out for a quick buck at the expense of those with many. At least you got them back. I'm sure you'll be able to handle the patch job. :-X22

Jeff and Nicolle 01-08-2013 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dano78 (Post 12691948)
Whoa! Sorry to hear that. Sounds like this guy is NOT a true street rod builder, but rather a joke out for a quick buck at the expense of those with many. At least you got them back. I'm sure you'll be able to handle the patch job. :-X22

I was actually kinda glad he didn't do it. This project is all about what I can do, not what I can buy.(But those glass fenders are tempting):o

The Horvaths 01-09-2013 03:26 AM

We're the fenders braced, to hold shape, prior to trimming? If not, best try to brace them before welding anyway.

topmoo 01-09-2013 01:19 PM

I know what that is like to have something gone for years while they are supposed to be working on it. My '65 F100 was at a mechanic/paint & body guys shop for 5 years! Not only did he do nothing on it the last 4 1/2 years, but he hit the front fender with his tractor one day and didn't tell me until I finally went to pick it up. He had taken the old 390 out and installed a rebuilt 460/C6. He had it running but hadn't gotten around to finishing small things like the wiring, exhaust, paint and body work, etc. Wouldn't be so bad if I had it and let it sit, but not somebody who gets paid to do it. I finally picked it up a few months ago and found mud daubers in the carb (it was a brand new Edelbrock). I haven't even messed with it yet, I need to finish my '52 first.:-X19

Dano78 01-09-2013 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by topmoo (Post 12693742)
I know what that is like to have something gone for years while they are supposed to be working on it. My '65 F100 was at a mechanic/paint & body guys shop for 5 years! Not only did he do nothing on it the last 4 1/2 years, but he hit the front fender with his tractor one day and didn't tell me until I finally went to pick it up. He had taken the old 390 out and installed a rebuilt 460/C6. He had it running but hadn't gotten around to finishing small things like the wiring, exhaust, paint and body work, etc. Wouldn't be so bad if I had it and let it sit, but not somebody who gets paid to do it. I finally picked it up a few months ago and found mud daubers in the carb (it was a brand new Edelbrock). I haven't even messed with it yet, I need to finish my '52 first.:-X19

Oh man... See? WTH is wrong with these people?? Is having a conscious an option these days?? Well at least you got it back. Something tells me you may not have wanted to have him finish it anyways.:-X15

Jeff and Nicolle 01-11-2013 10:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Not much to see, but here is one of those front fenders. i just had to get it in place to see where the tire sits in the arch. I don't have any F1 lowers yet.
These need some work, but should be useable, I think...
Yeah...I know...I need to stop and do some cleaning and organizing....it's getting ridiculous!