Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   2008 F350 tbc module fault and no start (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1143435-2008-f350-tbc-module-fault-and-no-start.html)

djohnson170 02-28-2012 04:39 PM

2008 F350 tbc module fault and no start

Hey everybody. I'm new to the forum and I think it's awesome that there are people out there that are willing to help and put the time in... So here's my problem. I drove my 08 F350 6.4 about 100 miles the other day and went home and shut it down. About an hour later I went to take off in my truck and when I turned the key on and it showed trailer brake module fault on the dash. It also simaltaneously showed check brake system, traction control on/off, and ------- on the odometer. Also all the indicator lights are fluttering on and off like it's a short or ground issue. Does anyone have a clue on what i should do? My local dealer told me that if I disconnected the itbc that it should start if it was actually a short in the controller itself. I unplugged it and no luck... I'm at a loss. Any help is great!

StanleyZ 02-28-2012 04:57 PM

How are the batteries? That might be a good place to start. Bad batteries make these trucks do strange things.

djohnson170 02-28-2012 05:50 PM

I put batteries in it not long ago... Had an issue with that already and learned my lesson the hard way there!

senix 02-28-2012 07:04 PM

I'd test the batteries before I did anything else.

djohnson170 02-29-2012 05:36 PM

Ok everybody... Pulled the batteries and had them load/capacity tested and they both checked out good... So now I'm lost again. I've been a mechanic for 12 years and I'm just stumped. I've also read somewhere that threesome a section of harness that can fill with moisture? Any other ideas would be good.

senix 02-29-2012 07:20 PM

check the smart junction box.

djohnson170 02-29-2012 08:02 PM

Ok. What exactly should I check in the sjb? Fuses and connections?

senix 02-29-2012 08:08 PM

I'd check all the connections, make sure it is all tight and no moisture. About the only thing I can think of right now.

p8ntballn2 03-01-2012 11:32 AM

everytime i start up my truck i get the "trailer brake module fault" i hit the reset button everytime i start it up and it goes away.. IBC works perfect on the three trailers i normally haul.. no other errors other than that.. i've check all the connections and fuses, everything checks out good.. i dont have any of the no start problems.. just the fault that comes up.. no codes on my livewire.. but it probably cant read it if there was one, i haven't taken it in yet, but i'm going to be getting an alignment in the next few days. maybe i'll ask them to look into it.. my only concern is everything works perfect, i just get that stupid message everytime and i have to clear it EVERYTIME! kinda annoying but i'm used to it now, been doing it for 6 months.

djohnson170 03-01-2012 06:39 PM

I pulled all the connections apart today and blew them out, cleaned them with electrical contact cleaner, and used dielectric grease on them before re-installing them. The only thing I haven't done is pull the sjb out and pulled the harness from the bottom if that's possible? I did find one burnt fuse for the trailer brake delay relay or something like that? That didn't change anything. I did notice this last time that after cycling the key several times it started to smell like something was burning or really hot right above the sjb. Also one thing I forgot to mention before is that the check brake system light flashes everytime I turned the key on. Wondering if that was something normal or if that may have been a pre-cursor to this problem. Also the back-up sensors were working intermittently for the last week and seemed to have stopped working as well... Thought I was on to something but stumped again...

Bounds-Electric 03-01-2012 09:28 PM

[QUOTE=p8ntballn2;11512923]everytime i start up my truck i get the "trailer brake module fault"

Spray plugs in the back with wd 40 . Keep them strayed, any water, salt will give you this fault.

mremt4u 03-02-2012 03:27 PM

same

I've got the same problem , right now and its giving me a bad headache .....

USMCBrown 11-19-2013 04:49 AM

Has anybody resolved this issue? I am having the same problem. Bought this truck 2 weeks ago and I am already second guessing myself. "Trailer brake controller module failure" and "Check Brakes" are the trouble codes I am getting. Fuses are good, tried removing fuse and starting but still nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

senix 11-19-2013 05:00 AM

check brakes...then load test your batteries. They are probably weak.

DJK555 11-23-2013 05:06 PM

Won't start

Originally Posted by senix (Post 11509761)
I'd check all the connections, make sure it is all tight and no moisture. About the only thing I can think of right now.

I had my f350 do a similar problem. There's a sensor on the exhaust that goes bad and when it does the truck shuts down with no warning. My mechanic couldn't find it had to take it to the dealer. Read on here it happens all the time. They say it overheats which is bull because it's been freezing here and I was going les than 70 for about an hr. Look up exhaust problems. Hope this helps.