Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nite, Nascar & Other Limited Edition Ford Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum178/)
-   -   Tonka truck (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1142219-tonka-truck.html)

johniebomb 02-24-2012 08:44 AM

Tonka truck

Does anybody remember ford putting out a model that was designed and promoted as a tonka truck? Was it just a concept or did it make production and what was the details on the truck?

kdbd4 03-07-2012 08:31 AM

I don't recall one, but I'll ask around.

johniebomb 03-07-2012 12:28 PM

Thanks that would be great.

KingBigJoe 03-08-2012 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by johniebomb (Post 11480784)
Does anybody remember ford putting out a model that was designed and promoted as a tonka truck? Was it just a concept or did it make production and what was the details on the truck?

I remember hearing about that truck when I was a kid. It was indeed a concept truck (to my knowledge). It would have been cool if it would have been made as a production truck.

johniebomb 03-09-2012 10:10 AM

I knew I wasn't crazy like my wife tells me all the time, thanks for the information.

KingBigJoe 03-09-2012 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by johniebomb (Post 11551155)
I knew I wasn't crazy like my wife tells me all the time, thanks for the information.

No problem.

ReedRepower 03-09-2012 09:07 PM

this one
PickupTruck.Com - 2002 North American International Auto Show: Ford's Mighty F-350 Tonka Truck

KingBigJoe 03-09-2012 09:15 PM

Yeah... I'm sure that this was the one. I'm slightly foggy on the details about it because it has been years since I've seen pictures or read about it.

johniebomb 03-12-2012 08:06 AM

That's great thanks for the link to the details of the truck. Now a couple more questions, how much if any of the stuff on this truck made it into production and what happens to these proto type trucks are they destroyed, hidden away at some area 51 place or sold to Jay Leno?

KingBigJoe 03-12-2012 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by johniebomb (Post 11563218)
That's great thanks for the link to the details of the truck. Now a couple more questions, how much if any of the stuff on this truck made it into production and what happens to these proto type trucks are they destroyed, hidden away at some area 51 place or sold to Jay Leno?

I don't know what made it into production (hopefully someone else knows). But regarding the last part of the question... most of the time they're destroyed. But, some of them do make it into collections & museums.

johniebomb 03-13-2012 09:53 AM

So whats the purpose behind destroying these vehicles, just so the competetion does not steal their ideas or it it something else?

KingBigJoe 03-13-2012 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by johniebomb (Post 11568398)
So whats the purpose behind destroying these vehicles, just so the competetion does not steal their ideas or it it something else?

I think the reason why they destory them is:

- To cover their a$$es incase if John Doe find it a junkyard & fixes it & something goes wrong (lawsuit).

- So the competition doesn't see it (what you said).

There might be more reasons but I don't know them. If anyone else has anything else to add to this subject... please do. It is very welcomed.

johniebomb 03-13-2012 11:03 AM

I see the point about the lawsuit and the competetion secrets thing but I think it is such a waste to go to all the work in development and making one of these vehicles and then destroying it.
I kind of compare it to the work a lot of you guys on this site go to in doing enigine swaps and other things to make the trucks better but instead of keeping your stuff secret or destroying it you share it with others to help them.
I think if the auto companys would think along the same lines with shareing information they would develop a stronger customer base.

KingBigJoe 03-13-2012 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by johniebomb (Post 11568647)
I see the point about the lawsuit and the competetion secrets thing but I think it is such a waste to go to all the work in development and making one of these vehicles and then destroying it.
I kind of compare it to the work a lot of you guys on this site go to in doing enigine swaps and other things to make the trucks better but instead of keeping your stuff secret or destroying it you share it with others to help them.
I think if the auto companys would think along the same lines with shareing information they would develop a stronger customer base.

It would be nice if they shared information with each other but 99% of the time that doesn't happen (from what I see).

Blue Rebel 04-03-2012 07:30 PM

They destroy concept vehicles because they dont have VINs... Therefor can never be registered or driven on the roads.

Just looking at it, as far as what made it into production, the 6.0L under the hood didnt come out until 03, the fender vents came out later on, the steering wheel and dash layout look awfully similar to the 04-up F150s, the bed/tailgate remind me of the 04-up F150s, and the grille and headlites looks kinda like theyre off an 05