Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   60 F100 radio (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1142067-60-f100-radio.html)

Y-oh-Y 02-23-2012 05:24 PM

60 F100 radio

Anyone know where I might get the innards of my old tube type radio replaced with a modern tuner and keep the same face ?

Thanks, Mark

59flatbedford 02-24-2012 07:39 AM

There was a place that i heard of over in the 61-66 forum that would restore the old radios and could add an ipod hook up and such so maybe they could be able to do what you want. For the life of me i can't remember the name of the outfit but maybe post over in the 61-66 section and someone will have some info.

Y-oh-Y 02-24-2012 09:22 AM

Thank you 59, I'm sure there are those out there that rehab them. I'm just haveing a hard time knowing what to type in for a search. I will check out the other forum.

Mark

Juette 02-24-2012 11:16 AM

You might also want to give these guys a call. It seems that they specialize in repairing/restoring vintage radios.

Antique Radio Repair & Restoration ! Car Home - Car Radio Repair Automobile

douglpr42 02-24-2012 01:47 PM

try customautosound.com

spurredon 02-24-2012 04:35 PM

Here's one, Vintage Auto Radio Services

Y-oh-Y 02-24-2012 05:42 PM

Thanks Spurredon, thats what I am looking for. Mark

ibuzzard 02-24-2012 09:18 PM

Please let us know if you get your stock 57-60 radio modernized.I was thinking they may not do it because of its' box shape, not sure why I came to that conclusion.I have the correct radio, along with the correct white knobs, the chrome bezel, and the template to install it.Member mr4speedford gave me the template.Currently, I've got an am/fm/cd hidden in my glove box, would love to have the stock radio installed with an mp3 input jack on the dash, if it can be done.

Y-oh-Y 02-24-2012 09:59 PM

Ibuzzard, I will let you know, I found another outfit that does them also, retroradio.biz, They boast they can do any radio I can send um. They do have a 12-15 week backlog so it may be a while. Mark

spurredon 02-25-2012 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by ibuzzard (Post 11484383)
Please let us know if you get your stock 57-60 radio modernized.I was thinking they may not do it because of its' box shape, not sure why I came to that conclusion.I have the correct radio, along with the correct white knobs, the chrome bezel, and the template to install it.Member mr4speedford gave me the template.Currently, I've got an am/fm/cd hidden in my glove box, would love to have the stock radio installed with an mp3 input jack on the dash, if it can be done.

So why don't you install the radio anyway and leave the player in the glove box. The little back light from the radio sure adds to the charm of the interior. It really takes guts to cut your dash though!

ibuzzard 02-25-2012 07:32 PM

Steve,my radio,though complete and in very good condition,does not work.I purchased it ,along with radio data/repair sheet,intending to have it repaired before installation.Then,the idea of modernizing it occurred to me.

There's no way, even with the Ford factory template that mr4speedford provided to me, that I'd cut the dash myself.Certain parts are, I believe, double wall construction, and I would likely muck it up.

I think it was Plato that said, "Know Thyself". I know me!

GB SISSON 02-25-2012 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We have an awesome am country station out of Mt. Vernon Wa. Like there could somehow be something wrong with listening to that???? And the dashboard glow.... I can;t even imagine how cool it would be to have an original radio AND the magic air heater glowing at the same time.........

ibuzzard 02-25-2012 09:44 PM

Sorry, Gary, but I'm old enough to remember country music that WAS country music. Today's' stuff does nothing for me.In my opinion,pretty boys in big hats,with big belt-buckles,tight Wranglers, on a horse for the very first time during the "album" cover shoot.Same band in some studio somewhere,playing the same music,just putting the next "face" in front of the mic for the next copy-cat recording.Meh.

No offense, but they can't do it better now than they did it back then, even with the best in technology and equipment.Whether Led Zeppelin, George Jones, Buck Owens, or Muddy Waters, I always return to the prime source material of whom these guys are so derivative .At any rate,I haven't deliberately listened to any radio or tv commercials in about 20 years,I prefer just music.

End of rant,off to bed.

Honey, where's my Metamucil?

ibuzzard 02-25-2012 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by GB SISSON (Post 11489057)
I can;t even imagine how cool it would be to have an original radio AND the magic air heater glowing at the same time.........

Here you go, Gary:

1959 FORD TRUCK AM MANUAL TUNE RADIO MODEL # 94BT WITH DASH RING | eBay

The small white knob in the middle is always difficult to find,and is usually missing.It appears to be missing the chrome dial surround bezel.

GB SISSON 02-25-2012 11:28 PM

Maybe I could get send it out and get it converted to an ipod setup and program in some Little Jimmy Dickens and Minnie Pearl along with some static and white noise. ;)