Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   f250 7.3 diesel CHIP HELP (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1141663-f250-7-3-diesel-chip-help.html)

jshansen 02-22-2012 09:02 AM

f250 7.3 diesel CHIP HELP

sorry if this isnt in the right forum i just registed for this site. but anyway i bought a 1999 f250 7.3 diesel exteneded cab long box about 2 months ago. i finally have some money now and am considering doing some work. i am thinking about buying a chip. first off whats the difference between a chip, tuner, and a programmer. i want to get one for 2 reasons . a) blow black smoke an b) boost my fuel economy a little bit. currently i get around 13 or 14 in town. the reason i havent got one yet is my buddy says they mess up your truck. i no they can be hard on a transmission but i push snow so i already know im going to have to get a new tranny at some point. he was saying they hurt your engine and mess up for injectors. any truth to that? finally if they is a decent chip in the price range around 300 to 400 any suggestions. i was looking at the Superchips 1855. but i dont no if that any good or not. thanks in advance for your help

acf6 02-22-2012 09:52 AM

You arent going to get very many friendly responses when you start your first post with " i want to blow black smoke"... but i know pretty much all the 7.3 guys run DP tuners

powerstroke72 02-22-2012 10:23 AM

Moved to the 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel forum.

fuelman 02-22-2012 10:33 AM

You can't get mileage and "black smoke" at the same time. As mentioned not many are real keen on the black smoke thing, it just brings a bad name to the diesel world. As for damaging the injectors not really true. About the only two things that damage injectors are bad fuel filtration and dirty oil. No one here will recommend a "superchimps tuner, so look at DPTuner, Power Hungry Performance or Elite Diesel. Those are the TOP three programmers for the 7.3l. As for your transmission the torque converter will suffer first. As for mileage you can get better mpg with a chip if you keep away from enjoying the increase in hp and torque, but mpg is mostly driving style.

overthehillbill 02-22-2012 10:38 AM

Don't even think about a chip til you get gauges.

01PS 02-22-2012 10:49 AM

As recommended to another user I would suggest working ALL of the bugs out of your stock truck before getting a tuner. It's a PITA to remove the tuner every time you need to chase a gremlin you ignored 'cause you wanted to "go fast". X2 on the gauges first also. Black smoke = high EGTs = motor work if you don't watch it.

jshansen 02-22-2012 11:39 AM

so pretty much buy gauages then get a DP tuner or chip. im still lost at what the difference bettween a tuner and a chip is

Tormz 02-22-2012 12:08 PM

What gauges besides boost Should Some one have

acf6 02-22-2012 12:15 PM

Boost, EGT (exhaust gas temp), Trans temp

crop harvester 02-22-2012 09:48 PM

from what i understand a chip is a part that connects to your trucks sytem and a program is loaded through your data link connector, while storing your stock program in its memory. i like the chip idea so you dont have to stop and reprogram when changing, the chip can be changed on the fly.

1WildPig 02-23-2012 12:24 AM

I got my 6 position PHP Phoenix chip from Kenny at KT Performance (.net) for $295 + Shipping. If you decide to go with Kenny, you can email with him or talk to him on the phone to discuss your needs and wants...real nice guy to do business with....

By what I gather, the stock injectors will support an extra 100 HP and you can get higher HP settings but the injectors can't really make as efficient use of the fuel and this is where you'll get smoke from...not really good for anything but putting on a show...but, if that is what you want, tell whomever you decide to order from (they'll need the number off your PCM too) and they can recommend a setting....as I'm sure some on here that already have a Phoenix type chip can as well...

With the type of chip I have there are 6 positions that you can fill - you should discuss how you use your truck with whomever you are ordering from to get the most benefit from your choices...other choices of chips can have many more positions....more money will get you more choices...

My particular needs are met with the following settings; Stock, Whisper, 80 HP Daily Driver (used most of the time), 100 HP Performance (not really needed but it will let it roll), 65 HP Tow, and Anti Theft ... If I had to do it over, I might would get a higher idle setting instead of the 100 HP...but, if I can find a good deal on a auxiliary power control module (idle controller) that'll take care of it...

Luck to ya..

Tormz 02-23-2012 01:27 AM

Whisper setting? What does that do

BigAlsPSD 02-23-2012 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by jshansen (Post 11471508)
so pretty much buy gauages then get a DP tuner or chip. im still lost at what the difference bettween a tuner and a chip is

Tuner is the person doing the tuning to the on performance chips or programmers

DP Tuner is still a chip although it is not a TS style chip like nearly every other tuner uses.

Chip is what a TS style, DP Tuner or other manufacturer use to write the performance programming on. You install it on the PCM(Powertrain Control Module AKA Computer) and have an option of "switch on the fly" changes.

Programmer is usually either a handheld device, ie superchips, diablo predator, etc., or an inclusive device that is mounted in the cab to also allow monitor of certain gauge features and some have the ability to pull diagnostic codes.

Originally Posted by Tormz (Post 11475225)
Whisper setting? What does that do

Quiets down the motor, DP tuner calls it Drive-thru tune. Idea is to keep from turning off the truck at Teller lanes and Drive-thrus

roostercrows 02-23-2012 05:02 AM

Welcome to FTE!!
Chips and programers are a hotly debated subject and some get pretty excited over the matter.
In any case you should start with gauges and tunes that are built for your truck.
There are a few that are heavily supported by many on this forum and all have good results. Do lots of reading and pick the company that you feel the most comfortable with.

tommyl 02-23-2012 06:23 AM

You probably need a bigger trans. cooler, if it hasn't already been upgraded.