Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   I'm Embarrassed - Fuel Filters (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1141470-im-embarrassed-fuel-filters.html)

Byram 02-21-2012 04:22 PM

I'm Embarrassed - Fuel Filters

I got to looking this weekend - thinking dang - I probably change the fuel filter on the 6.2... Anyway - I couldn't find it... So today I went on the internet - Ford parts.. & couldn't find a fuel filter for the 6.2 - Air filters, oil, etc.. but no fuel filter...

I assume there is something in the tank on the fuel pump - but no other filter???

Any help? I should have already changed it - If it has one - got about 35k on the truck...

jorlee 02-21-2012 08:42 PM

Page 382

FUEL FILTER
Your vehicle is equipped with a lifetime fuel filter (gasoline vehicles only)
that is integrated with the fuel tank. Regular maintenance or
replacement is not needed.

I don't think I like that.

rkmfordman 02-21-2012 11:06 PM

i was wondering when somebody was gonna start a thread about the lifetime fuel filter deal started to myself a time or two but never got around to it.i dont think i like it either i guess time and miles will tell.

fg250 02-22-2012 06:23 AM

I've never changed a fuel filter on any gas truck or car and don't know anyone else that has either. This one shouldn't be any different. It's nice to be able to lose the "diesel mentality" and just drive a vehicle without constantly worrying about bad fuel and water traps/filters:-blah

satxuser 02-23-2012 08:03 PM

Fuel Filter

I've never changed a fuel filter on any gas truck or car and don't know anyone else that has either. This one shouldn't be any different. It's nice to be able to lose the "diesel mentality" and just drive a vehicle without constantly worrying about bad fuel and water traps/filters:-blah
I wasn't real thrilled when I found out my '11 had a "lifetime" fuel filter. On my '08 I changed the fuel filter about every 10,000 miles (or less, they are cheap) and you would not believe the nasty stuff that would pour out of it each and everytime.

RZAR 02-23-2012 08:12 PM

Dodge and jeeps have been doing this for years without any problems. At work we have a large fleet of Fords, Chevys and Dodges (mostly pickups) and I have yet to replace a fuel pump on a filterless Dodge or jeep. The Fords and Chevys with filters are a different story. Mainly the Chevys.

biz4two 02-23-2012 10:18 PM

I think this is a good development for FORD 6.2L SuperDuty trucks. I also own Honda vehicles...and they have had this since my first back in 2003. Had well over 150,000 miles...and never an issue.

If FORD did it right...I can only imagine good! :-wink

Now...that is also to say...that with my '03 SD...it was a 10 or 15 minute job to change the fuel filter. Pretty easy...and I did it every 10,000 miles or 1 year.

biz
;)

fz1dave 02-23-2012 11:46 PM

One less thing to worry about IMO. Heck I didn't change the fuel filter on my Windstar until 170k.

I suppose the benefit of having to change the fuel filter is it would be an excellent excuse to add a larger tank. :-X10

ford390gashog 02-24-2012 01:14 AM

Having just done a tank swap in one of the f150 trucks with the 6.2 the lifetime filter has such a large surface area , that clogging would be 100's of thousands of miles down the road. The fuel pump will get replaced by then. The design looks good and should work well!

biz4two 02-24-2012 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by ford390gashog (Post 11480073)
Having just done a tank swap in one of the f150 trucks with the 6.2 the lifetime filter has such a large surface area , that clogging would be 100's of thousands of miles down the road. The fuel pump will get replaced by then. The design looks good and should work well!

Good to know! Thanks for reporting...

biz
:-wink