Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   led bulbs for gauges (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1141288-led-bulbs-for-gauges.html)

goosehunta 02-20-2012 10:17 PM

led bulbs for gauges

anybody got the info for what size leds i need to replace the old bulbs in the gauges of my 06. also i see the blub for the 4x4 selector switch is a different type what is it? im not worried about the radio because i have a after market one. but i need sizes for the gauges, auto climate control, 4x4 selector. i think thats all. i looked online and found website that sold them but cant find what sizes i need.

thanks in advance.

the truth 02-20-2012 11:48 PM

I would love to swap mine out for amber one's.

BigAlsPSD 02-21-2012 12:06 AM

You need these, this color is Blue but if you look up on superbrightleds.com Another thing to consider is that the actual gauge card is printed green so if you want a color to shine through you need to remove(scrape) the card. Very time consuming and tedious. These are just for the gauges. The led's in the switches have to be removed and soldered in new leds. Here is a great write up https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rking-now.html

2 x "B8.5D" LED (AC control panel) Instrument Cluster and Gauge Backlights - Super Bright LEDs

6 x "74-xHP" LED (Gauge Cluster) #74-xHP LED CAR BULB Specifications

cbzdel 02-21-2012 12:08 AM

I think I looked this up several weeks ago, and if I remember correctly all bulbs for the switches are not serviceable, well it requires breaking the units apart and then gluing then back together. But dont quote me on that haha.

WE3ZS 02-21-2012 07:28 AM

Here is another good article on changing the dash over to LEDs, thanks to 1975Stroppebaja for the writeup!
2004 F250 LED Dash Lighting

goosehunta 02-21-2012 06:54 PM

thanks guys. now how about the upfitter switches???

i havnt pulled the switch box out to see if i can see the bulbs.

willietwosix 02-27-2012 05:03 AM

when i did my uplifter switches i had to open the actual uplifter switch unit and cut the old less off the circuit board and solder new ones on to the extra long original leads... takes a bit of skill... but its not that hard... just make sure you solder the correct terminals (++ --)

xmontex4 02-27-2012 07:05 AM

Also dont forget if you remove the gauge card you need to find out some way to put the needles back on in the correct spot.

goosehunta 02-27-2012 07:32 PM

kool thanks for the info

AirborneCav 02-28-2012 05:40 AM

I have a bulb out in my dash and would like to switch to LED's. I have a 2001 SD, would it be the same LED's as mentioned in comment #3? I just want to do the dash lights is a bright white (to display as bright green).

xmontex4 02-28-2012 05:55 AM

yup should be if not you could always double check with post 5's link its a 2004 so its identical.

cmartin248 05-12-2013 06:27 PM

I just changed out all my dash bulbs on my 2006 King Ranch and I ordered them from ebay for $5 for 20 of them. They are T5 or #74 LED's and are about twice as bright as the original. Two things to know.. You must install the LED in the proper polarity or it will not work. I marked one side of the bulb holder with a black marker and checked each bulb in the holder so that the black mark was the positive side. Turn the black as looking at the back to the 2 o'clock position. The second thing is that if you change the "battery" (charging failure) to LED, you will notice that the battery light will be dimly illuminated even if everything is okay. This is due to the very low amperage draw of the LED and the way the charging circuit is made. The next time that I take my dash out, I will change it back to the old bulb type.

Yahiko 05-12-2013 10:37 PM

I did mine a few months back and was not that happy with it
so I will be doing something else or going back to the old style
lamps. I was not happy with the hot spots the LEDs creates.
Hot Spot as in too bright. If I could get it to defuse more I would
be happy. Any ideas?

Sean :-drink

cmartin248 05-13-2013 06:50 PM

Yep,, I know what you mean by the hot spots, but they are much brighter and I like them anyway... I did try two different LED types and they both had the hot spots. Best of all you should never ever have to replace them...

Necronommicon 11-07-2015 09:19 PM

Hey guys, just found this during a search. Are the bulbs for an '06 250 cluster 194's or the 74's? I think I'll just stick with incandescent. I can't get a straight answer anywhere I look. Thanks.