Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   excursion, 4x4 wont shift (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1140751-excursion-4x4-wont-shift.html)

fordssawslogs 02-19-2012 09:34 AM

excursion, 4x4 wont shift

hi long time member first question,
we have a 2002 excursion i have replaced the 4x4 selector switch on the dash as well as the front hubs they are now the warn premium hubs and the transfer case shift motor all part are ford all but the hubs.my question is it will not shift from 2 hi to 4 hi to 4 low,i have done all the right things that the book says to do,put vic in neutral keep foot on break,switch selector switch to 4x4 or 2 or low and it will not shift.when the transfer case shift motor was off i put the truck back in 2 wheel drive by hand with a wrench and it moves free no binding what else could it be the fuse under the steering wheel is good and new parts are good as well any help would be great
4x4 2002 excursion limited 7.3 only mod is cold air intake
thank you for your time

whitewhale 02-19-2012 10:41 AM

check all of your connections, and I actually pulled the shift motor off of the transfer case when mine was acting up. Cleaned up my connections and cycled the motor a few times and it worked fine

fordssawslogs 02-20-2012 01:03 AM

i will give it a try

as soon as i get home from afganistan i will give it a try i bought the big suv for the wife and kids to be safe in but with all the small things that have happened with it the wife just drive her mini van,heartbreaking haha but thank you for the advise is there any place under the hood they have a relay or a conetion that needs to be cleaned or just the ones under the truck at the shift motor

Studawg 02-20-2012 02:52 PM

You know you will have to manually turn the hubs to LOCK first, and then, turn the switch, for the 4WD to engage. If I am not mistaken, with those Warn hubs, your truck is no longer "switch on the fly".

fordssawslogs 02-21-2012 08:20 AM

the new hubs

yes i know about the new hubs but the factory ones were 4 times as much as the warn the warn has a lifetime warenty and the air house was also no good so i just went with the same hubs ive but on all my trucks,we live in fairbanks alaska so the hubs are locked for about 8 months out of the year

PaysonPSD 02-21-2012 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached is an EX wiring diagram for ESOF 4WD circuits. Bottom right hand corner shows the Low to High and the High to Low relays. Not sure where they are but on a truck they are under the hood near the master cylinder. If your EX has the tow package there might be another set of 2 relays. The 4WD relays will be the two mounted further forward.

The only pic I have are the 4WD relays under hood of my 99 truck.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...9&d=1255902728

Be safe over there and come home safely.

See bottom right hand corner of his wiring diagram for the 2 x-fer case shift relays.
Fuse 59 supllies power to the relay windings as well as to the x-fer case shift motor through contacts of these relays.

Edit : On the right side of drawing is the 4WD Control Module. Could be the problem.

PaysonPSD 02-21-2012 10:08 AM

I should have added this to my previous post.

The ESOF relays are a Bosch 5 spade type. They have a normally closed contact not found on the four spade relays.

I had the same problem you have. I removed and bench tested the relays for continuity from 30 through normally closed contact to 87a when non-opeated and continuity from 30 through the make contact to 87 when operated. All was good. Before plugging the relays back in I cleaned the spade contacts with emery cloth. Shifts to 4HI and 4LOW and back again then worked. I don't know if exercising the relays or cleaning the spade connectors is what helped.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...6&d=1323375657

Pitcrw6 02-21-2012 07:54 PM

I didnt know if you use Warn hubs that you cant use the ESOF. Is Ford hubs the only ones you can use with ESOF? Was thinking about changing mine out when I change out the rotors.

fordssawslogs 02-22-2012 04:12 AM

as far as i know you can use any hub ,what i do in Alaska
is leave the hubs"locked" and just shift in and out of 4x4 4x4low and 2 wheel drive(before the curent issue were having) shift out of 4x4 and the front drive line wont spin ive never had a problem doing this on older trucks and on the newer ones as well just my opinion and history

PaulDH 02-22-2012 04:27 AM

With the Warn hubs locked, the front axles and and the front drive shaft will be turning constantly, whether the transfer case is engaged in 2WD or 4WD. Which consumes some additional energy and accelerates the wear on the U-Joints in the front axles and front drive shaft, and on the splined joint in the front drive shaft.

fordssawslogs 02-22-2012 04:52 AM

wow this seems like it will help alot,i will be able to let you know if it works in about a month and a half thank you very much sir for the help

PaulDH 02-22-2012 12:44 PM

Hey,
I didn't mean to lead you to believe that you'll have 4WD functioning without the transfer case electrically engaging into 4WD High or Low. Without the transfer case engaged into 4WD, but the Warn hubs locked, your front axles and drive shafts will be rotating whenever the front tires are rolling because the front axles are mechanically engaged to the turning tires/wheels/hubs through the locked Warn hubs. But no engine power is being delivered to the front axles until the front drive shaft is mechanically engaged to the transfer case - which happens when the transfer case is electrically shifted into 4WD - either 4WDH or 4WDL. So you do need to get your transfer case to shift into 4WD via the electrical shift mechanism/motor attached to the transfer case before your 4WD will be functional.

My prior post was an effort to explain that your front drive shaft and front axles are always going to be turning with the Warn hubs locked, whether the transfer case is in 2WD or in 4WD mode. You'll only have 4WD functioning when both the Warn hubs are locked AND when the transfer case is engaged in 4WD. So running with the Warn hubs locked when you don't need 4WD causes unnecessary wear to the U-joints and the splined shaft on the front axles and drive shaft, when you're not utilizing 4WD (running the transfer case in 2WD). It is convenient to always run with the Warn hubs locked, because 4WD is then available simply by electronically shifting the transfer case into 4WD. But leaving the Warn hubs locked when you're not going to be needing 4WD is a waste of engine power and waste of wear and tear on the constantly rotating front drive train.

97 ford beast 02-22-2012 01:00 PM

you now have to manually do it because of the new hubs they wont shift electonicly any more it acually depends if you wired it correctlyi just fixed this in my 7.3 excursion.

Studawg 08-17-2015 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD (Post 11466078)
Attached is an EX wiring diagram for ESOF 4WD circuits. Bottom right hand corner shows the Low to High and the High to Low relays. Not sure where they are but on a truck they are under the hood near the master cylinder. If your EX has the tow package there might be another set of 2 relays. The 4WD relays will be the two mounted further forward.

See bottom right hand corner of his wiring diagram for the 2 x-fer case shift relays.
Fuse 59 supllies power to the relay windings as well as to the x-fer case shift motor through contacts of these relays.

Edit : On the right side of drawing is the 4WD Control Module. Could be the problem.

In that attachment that Payson posted above, can anyone tell me what "S124" is referring to where it breaks off from Fuse 27? I see that controls the Vacuum Pump Motor, which is what Im trying to fix. I have a new pump and I don't think its working. My Fuse 27 was blown and Im trying to figure out what controls the Vac Pump to see if that blew at the same time. Maybe its that S124, but I don't know what that is referring to.

PastorTerry 12-07-2019 12:25 PM

Reply with questions

That is the best response to a question with a wiring diagram that I have found. Now my question is, I have the 2003 with a 6.0......and can't find a wiring g diagram/schematic anywhere....I have my dash all apart..since I'm here, I'm replacing the lovely to get to flasher relay, but looking g for a broken wire or something..No blown fuse, and constant power to one of the two relays, not sure if that is good or bad...so, any help would be much appreciated....

God Bless,
Merry Christmas,
Pastor Terry

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD (Post 11466078)