Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   6.2L mpg update? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1140192-6-2l-mpg-update.html)

GoCamping 05-24-2013 09:09 AM

dpchristie and F16 thanks for posting up your mileage reports and especially with towing. Real interesting. And darn it F16, I wish I was in a position to buy a truck now. I'd be looking at yours for the 4.30s!

F16Vip3r 05-24-2013 10:32 AM

I'd be willing to sell! Actually, I'd rather go "private party," but don't have the time. I'm "tax free" for vehicle purchases while living in TN, and the dealer offered me $33,500 for my truck (that's above KBB trade-value, and almost 90% of what I paid for it last summer). I move in 2 weeks. I'm sure I wouldn't get a similar value for my truck, in CA, and deals on trucks aren't as prevalent in Prius country. I did my research.

Best I've seen is just over 16.0, all highway, unloaded, cruise set at 60mph, with ethanol free gas. That's the best she's got!

twofifties 05-25-2013 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by dpchristie (Post 13190103)
I wanted to give an update since I posted the above in March. We had our first long trip with the 2013 F250 pulling the 35' Camper. Estimate we were pulling about 8600 pounds, and there was a couple hundred pounds in the truck bed as well.

We drove from Omaha Nebraska to an area near Fort Leonardwood in southern Missouri. This amounted to about 900 miles total for the round trip. We stayed on interstates and 4 lane highways. The terrain was hilly, and the speed limit was 70-75 in most places. On the way down, I drove about 65-70 mph, and on the way up, I was at 70, sometimes a little over.

To recap, this is a 6.2L V8 F250. I also have installed Timbren's on the rear suspension. When I connect the camper, the front does not raise at all thanks to adjustments to the Equalizer hitch. This trip took us from 1200 miles to 2100 miles total on the truck.

Ok, now that all that is out of the way, over the 900 miles we averaged 6.4 mpg. This is no where near what i was expecting. I was hoping for 8-9 mpg. We have a 35 gallon tank and so we had to fill up fairly often. One nice thing, was apart from hearing the truck work harder due to the load, I really couldn't tell the camper was back there, so that was nice.

I did at times use the cruise control. The only problem with the cruise control, is that sometimes on a hill, it would kick into 2nd, and the RPMs would almost redline at 5800 rpms. Without cruise control on a similar hill, I could do just fine with it only kicking into 3rd. So the cruise control seems to go a bit overboard. I had it in tow-haul mode the entire time.

Our next test will be in Aug. We are pulling the same camper from Omaha to Burning Man, just north of Reno. This will be a 3000 mile round trip. The obviously tricky part will be going through the mountains in WY and UT. We will be on I80 the entire way. Some parts will be flatter (Nebraska). I hope to do better on average with the MPG than with this other trip.

No offense, by why would you ever, I mean ever, use cruise control pulling that weight in hilly terrain?

I just hauled about 12k back and forth across Iowa (hilly) with your same motor in my 2011 F-250 SRW and got 9.4 on average. It was a dump trailer with a skidsteer in it, so I wasn't catching near as much wind as you, but I also drove faster than is sounds like you did. I stay in tow/haul mode getting on after stops until I'm up to speed, and then switch to M mode once I'm cruising. I'm always worried about overworking the tranny when it's under a load, so I minimize shifting and allow for some acceleration and deceleration on the hills. The people behind me may not love it, but it keeps me from burning as much fuel and burning up the tranny. If you can't get 8 mpg going across Nebraska, you might need to re-evaluate the way you're driving it.

05v10 05-26-2013 12:00 PM

I wanted to put an update on the my mileage. I will have to say i've been impressed with mileage on this setup. On two round trips from Atlanta to Nashville at 75mph with cruise set i got an outstanding 15.4 on the lie-o-meter. I hand checked it and it was close at 15.33. This was the same as I got on a longer trip to Durham, NC. This has been a major improvement from the '05 V10. In combined mileage of intown and on the road is staying around 14 to 14.3 another big improvement. The most impressed was with towing the travel trailer(31'-9800lbs) at an average of 11.2 at 65mph. I had to learn the does and don'ts of the 6.2 when towing but it did better than expected. The new air bags didn't seem to matter with the equalizer hitch but they are great with the equipment trailer. I'm at 28,000 miles and not a single problem except for smut on the bumper. The 6.2 is no V-10 for low end grunt but many things it does better. I would like the 4.30's but it's not that big of deal for me. Maybe when I order next time I'll get them with new 8 speed tranny that will be out by then. LOL

GoCamping 05-26-2013 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by 05v10 (Post 13196186)
...In combined mileage of intown and on the road is staying around 14 to 14.3 another big improvement. The most impressed was with towing the travel trailer(31'-9800lbs) at an average of 11.2 at 65mph. I had to learn the does and don'ts of the 6.2 when towing but it did better than expected. ...

That's great mileage towing. That's not much less than what I get with my diesel and a 35' fiver.

What are your tips for the do's and don'ts of pulling with the 6.2?

I'm guessing to use M mode on the tranny, not use CC and work the hills (let is slow down a bit on the way up and stay in gear, then make it up on the other side).

If that's so it's kind of funny to me 'cause that's how I have to run with my 7.3. :p

dpchristie 05-28-2013 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by twofifties (Post 13194463)
No offense, by why would you ever, I mean ever, use cruise control pulling that weight in hilly terrain?

I just hauled about 12k back and forth across Iowa (hilly) with your same motor in my 2011 F-250 SRW and got 9.4 on average. It was a dump trailer with a skidsteer in it, so I wasn't catching near as much wind as you, but I also drove faster than is sounds like you did. I stay in tow/haul mode getting on after stops until I'm up to speed, and then switch to M mode once I'm cruising. I'm always worried about overworking the tranny when it's under a load, so I minimize shifting and allow for some acceleration and deceleration on the hills. The people behind me may not love it, but it keeps me from burning as much fuel and burning up the tranny. If you can't get 8 mpg going across Nebraska, you might need to re-evaluate the way you're driving it.

Hey twofifties,

No offense at all taken. Please keep in mind, that I am relatively new to towing. So I am open to any tips on better ways to drive, shift, etc. So if you would like to elaborate any further, I would definitely like to learn.

Thanks
Dave

gbraat 05-28-2013 11:46 AM

Mileage

2013 F250 6.2 Crew Cab 4wd 3.73 with 1,600 miles on it. 480 mile hwy trip yesterday averaging 74 mph - 15.7 mpg. 300 mile trip with 10,000 lb trailer two weekends ago averaging 68 mph - 8.1 mpg.

05v10 05-28-2013 12:14 PM

GoCamping, I haven't used the the M mode in the trans yet. I tried once to see how it did and that's about it. I locked out 5th & 6th gears and used 4th. It reminded me of years ago when 4th was one to one in an old four wheel drive. I did work the hills going down to pickup the pace some and let it work back up the other side without having to downshift. Just some anticipation of what's coming up worked for me. Tried not to go over 65 and just keep a steady throttle. The 6.2 is no barn burner off the line but if you let it go it can turn up some high rpm's quick so I worked the pedal to stay out of high rev's. During towing I would never consider using the cruise because as good as it is it still can't tell when a hill coming up and I need to gain some speed.

unyalli 05-28-2013 12:21 PM

To all that are towing.

Check the side wall of your trailer tires. Chances are very good it will say max speed 65.

Want better fuel milage when towing? Slow down.

Jeff

gbraat 05-28-2013 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by unyalli (Post 13201907)
To all that are towing.

Check the side wall of your trailer tires. Chances are very good it will say max speed 65.

Jeff

Hey Jeff - I didn't realize the tires were rated max 65 - thanks for the info! As for going 68 mph (110 km) - just maintaining the speed limit around here - I'll bring it down a notch now. In regards to fuel mileage - you're right, but I didn't buy the truck for mileage - enjoying the power and the view!

unyalli 05-28-2013 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by gbraat (Post 13202122)
Hey Jeff - I didn't realize the tires were rated max 65 - thanks for the info! As for going 68 mph (110 km) - just maintaining the speed limit around here - I'll bring it down a notch now. In regards to fuel mileage - you're right, but I didn't buy the truck for mileage - enjoying the power and the view!

The RV dealers won't point this out in favor of sales expecially to someone new to rving which I think is criminal. My 2013 Rockwood has this embossed right there on the sidewall.

Jeff

05v10 05-28-2013 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by unyalli (Post 13201907)
To all that are towing.

Jeff

I'll go one more on this. Make sure that the tires are at the max pressure of either 65psi or 80 psi. Most trailer tires run at one or the other according to their specific range. This stops many blow outs and does help with mileage some what.

twofifties 05-29-2013 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by dpchristie (Post 13201728)
Hey twofifties,

No offense at all taken. Please keep in mind, that I am relatively new to towing. So I am open to any tips on better ways to drive, shift, etc. So if you would like to elaborate any further, I would definitely like to learn.

Thanks
Dave

Hey, I'm no expert. I just know what has worked for me over the years. I've seen a lot of blown transmissions at fairly low miles (IMO) and those guys tend to drive differently then I do. Like I said, I stay in D with tow/haul mode activated until I'm up to speed, and then switch to M. That part's mostly out of laziness though. You could go with M right off the bat, but I'm usually still getting everything situated or set up again after a stop and don't want to have to manually upshift. I also like that when I start that way, when I go to get off the highway/interstate I switch back to D and it's still in tow/haul and handles the downshifting and any hills appropriately. Then I just react to the hills. Let the truck speed up on a down slope if there's an up slope coming and gradually increase pedal pressure to maintain speed on the way up the hill, limiting myself to one downshift if necessary. Pretty basic, and like I said, I'm no expert. I don't drive for a living. I do pull trailers constantly though, and know what has worked best for me over the years in terms of gas mileage and vehicle longevity.

Unyalli makes a couple good points too. The difference in mileage between going 65 and 75 can be extreme. Everyone needs to find what works best for their truck with each particular load.

And it kills me when I see someone on the side of the interstate with a blown tire on their little utility/enclosed/jet ski/boat trailer and no spare. A lot of those tires shouldn't have been going that speed to begin with. Heck, most of those little 4.8-12's on jet ski and small boat trailer are only rated for 55 mph. And most of the tires that come stock on smaller enclosed and utility trailers are pretty cheap and not always rated for high speeds.

GoCamping 05-29-2013 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by 05v10 (Post 13201884)
GoCamping, I haven't used the the M mode in the trans yet. I tried once to see how it did and that's about it. I locked out 5th & 6th gears and used 4th. It reminded me of years ago when 4th was one to one in an old four wheel drive. I did work the hills going down to pickup the pace some and let it work back up the other side without having to downshift. Just some anticipation of what's coming up worked for me. Tried not to go over 65 and just keep a steady throttle. The 6.2 is no barn burner off the line but if you let it go it can turn up some high rpm's quick so I worked the pedal to stay out of high rev's. During towing I would never consider using the cruise because as good as it is it still can't tell when a hill coming up and I need to gain some speed.

Thx 05v10... I'm real curious on what it's like to tow with ... maybe Mike @5star will let me ride along one day, he's in SC too I think ;).

Jeff is right. Trailer tires are speed limited but they don't really tell you that at the dealer. Silly if you ask me. I replaced all mine with LT tires and haven't had a worry or a problem since.

Thanks everyone for posting in this mpg thread. Makes me more certain I can be happy with the 6.2!

goingnorth 05-30-2013 10:56 AM

I have a 6.2l F250 4.30 gears and a cap and I only get 11mpg's highway at 70mph and got 8mpg pulling a 8k# TT. I hope it gets better. 980 miles on truck, put 800 on before towing and I never go above 65 with TT. I even tried resetting the lie-o-meter at speed on the highway and it goes right to 12 then drops to 11 in short time. I have never been able to get the milage that others claim on any truck, even when I am using cruise on flat ground for hundreds of miles? I don't regret getting the truck it pulled the TT great, we got hit with front line winds from a storm last Wed. and got hit by at least 60~70 mph cross winds and I thought my TT was going to blow over but the truck held strong and stayed in my lane even though the tt was being pushed so hard, my F150 never could have handled that much wind, and I towed that in 55mph wind and could bairly hold my lane.

It seams every time I go camping I get hit with big storms, oh well.