Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1139137-55-239-y-block-restoration-thread.html)

Harrier 07-19-2012 10:09 PM

OK, it's been a while but I think I figured out something.
When I was looking at the timing, I thought I was at #1 TDC, but the plug wires weren't in the right location and I moved them all....Well, It bugged me that I would have to move the wires since they hadn't been touched since it was running last back in 1972. It struck me tonight that the timing mark goes through twice and one time it is at the mark it is not TDC....So, I found the other location and moved the plug wires to this spot which should be back to the way it was. I then tried it briefly and didn't get anything. Next I poured a little gas down the carb and got this:

Attempting to start a 239 Y-Block - YouTube

That is a step further, but where do I look next?

52 Merc 07-19-2012 11:14 PM

That doesn't sound so good. You're a couple weeks late for that kind of fireworks. So lets review for a second.
Going back to timing, verify you have number one cylinder as the front one on the passenger side. Verify your TDC and that both valves on #1 cylinder are closed when the timing marks line up on the balancer and pointer. Verify your firing order and the wires are on the dist cap going in the correct order counter-clockwise to the plugs. If all this is good, it should fire up and run.

Harrier 10-16-2012 01:52 PM

OK, I finally got a few minutes to look at the engine again.
So, I have gas, compression, spark. Well there must be something wrong with timing...duh.

Now how do I get this figured out?
When I set the spark plug wires in their current position, I set it to #1 TDC and put #1 wire there then fed around in firing order.

Well, I decided to try something.
I moved the plug wires clockwise one space on the distributor and got this.
EngineStartExhaustFire - YouTube

Then I took it back counter clockwise to one past the original position and got this:
EngineStartCarbBackfire - YouTube

You ask when I had it here, why didn't I check things closer. Yeah, I'm scratching my head on that one.
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...gChain0042.jpg

So, is my next step pulling the timing cover and checking that out?
What other steps can I take to get this correct?

These questions seem so straight forward, but I've never done this before, so I don't mind looking stupid if I learn something from it.

tinman52 10-16-2012 06:12 PM

Joe, at this point I would try moving all of the wires around one position at a time till you get fire.....if it acts like it might run, then adjust the dist from there. It's worth a shot.
If that doesn't work then you can check the chain.....

Definitely a timing issue...

Harrier 10-16-2012 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by tinman52 (Post 12379391)
Joe, at this point I would try moving all of the wires around one position at a time till you get fire.....if it acts like it might run, then adjust the dist from there. It's worth a shot.
If that doesn't work then you can check the chain.....

Definitely a timing issue...

Thanks Scott,
I will continue that process and see what I get. It seems like a clunky way of working through this, but it's something I can understand and it won't hurt anything.

Harrier 10-18-2012 06:12 PM

ALMOST THERE!!!!!!! :-jammin:-jammin:-jammin:-jammin
It started for a few seconds. I have downloaded the videos to my pc now to edit and upload. (I might save my maniacal laughter.) and get the on the internet.
My 8 year old is watching netflix on that pc. I will let her watch for a little longer.....

I'm pumped. Got the garage door open with the fan running....wife's not home yet to smell it. :)

Harrier 10-18-2012 08:10 PM

Here is the video.
EngineRunsForFirstTime - YouTube

This is the first time this engine has run in about 40 years. It only ran for a couple of seconds, but it's almost there. I may sound crazy at the end, but this has been a long journey so far. I bought this truck about 10 years ago. Many things have delayed the project. I might have to sleep in the garage. :-jammin:-jammin:D

Now I need to get better fuel delivery.

Harrier 10-18-2012 09:32 PM

It is now running!!!! It still needs lots of work, but I can now move forward with things.
EngineRuningYEAH - YouTube
I need to get cooling for it.
Getting the crossover pipe on would be helpful.
I need to clean up the exhaust manifolds as well.
Not sure what else at the moment, just too excited. My ears are still ringing a bit....it's quite loud.

I was informed that I stink now. Having an attached garage is not the best thing for doing stuff like that. This spring I need to set things up so I can roll it outside for this type of thing.
I'm gonna need brakes one of these days too.....lots of stuff to do.
Very good day!!!

ben73058 10-18-2012 09:44 PM

Hey Joe,
It sounds good! Looks like you might have lost all the hair on your forearm!

Ben in Austin

tinman52 10-18-2012 09:58 PM

Congrats Joe, sounds great! Please get some coolant in the block if you are going to run it though........you don't want to fry it after all that work.:)

Harrier 10-18-2012 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by tinman52 (Post 12388076)
Congrats Joe, sounds great! Please get some coolant in the block if you are going to run it though........you don't want to fry it after all that work.:)

Yep, that will be one of the next steps. Dumb me, I didn't think about just having some in the block, I will do that right away. I wanted to get it started before I went further. Since it had been so long since it was started (about 40 years) I didn't want to spend money until I knew it would go.

The Horvaths 10-19-2012 07:11 AM

What did you find to correct the backfiring?
Congratulations!! Buy it a rose..
.. And get the wife eleven!

Harrier 10-19-2012 07:41 AM

Well I did it by rotating the spark plug wires around the distributor and trying to start it until one finally did. Yeah it sounds like an odd way of doing it, but it worked for me.

Previously, I had rotated the engine to #1 TDC and checked where the rotor was. I must have been off. When I get a chance, I will do that again and see where it falls.

I'm sure now I will need to adjust the carb and timing, but that will wait until I have the radiator back in...that will be a while since I have to clean and paint the radiator bracket and check out the radiator and get it all installed and hoses and and and...but at least I can move forward. :) I can't stop smiling.

Is it odd that I have watched the video a ton of times?

Harrier 12-04-2012 09:11 PM

Well it's been a while since I have had any updates.
I've got the radiator bracket cleaned and painted. Now I need to get the mounting hardware.
This weekend my daughter visited Southwest Baptist University in Bolivar Missouri where my parents and Uncle live. Well, I took my brake drums and had them turned and also bought a couple of parts.

Upper and Lower radiator hoses. Here are the part numbers for anyone looking:
Upper - Napa (NBH 8484) Gates (21794)
Lower - Napa (NBH 7133) Gates (20145)
Those were in stock. They will need to be cut down to fit (Napa website said that and holding them up in place, they will definitely need to be cut.)

I also got a clutch release bearing assembly. This one has a grease fitting. I was surprised he had it in stock. He said he had 4.
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...diatorHose.jpg

raytasch 12-04-2012 09:18 PM

Don't know how, but I missed that first run up after 40 years video. Congratulations.:-drink:-X22 Are we having fun yet?:-X04