Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   59 Hood hinge/springs ?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1137921-59-hood-hinge-springs.html)

theodore/teddy 02-08-2012 11:03 PM

59 Hood hinge/springs ??

I recently purchased a pair of "NOS" hood hinges off Ebay they look like my old ones with two exceptions the stop on the new ones is pin incorporated with a rivet where the old one used a step in the stamping where one of the levers (same lever on new one bangs into pin) would bang into it. The other difference is the location of the spring mounting hole (hood side of hinge). You might be able to see the changes in these pics.
[IMG]https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=247529&.jpg[/IMG]

My concern is that on the new hinges the holes when hood is open are 3/4" further apart then the old ones, and a full inch furthers when closed. Also the new hinges didn't come with springs! So I'm not sure if I should try to use my springs on the new hinges. My old springs when relaxed are about 8-3/4" and when I stretch them to a little over 10" they look like this.[IMG]https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=247530&.jpg[/IMG]

Could I get some of you to take a look at yours and tell me what your hinges look like and what your spring length is. Opened would be fine, as it would be troublesome to check with the hood down.LOL
Thanks

ibuzzard 02-08-2012 11:54 PM

Wally, I'd just try them, as is.They probably made an improvement in design, correcting a bad design.And, I'd guess, the part number would have remained the same.If NumberDummy sees this,he can tell you if spring lengths were also changed,but I'd bet not.But if they were,he can locate a set for you - if anyone can.But try them first.

ibuzzard 02-09-2012 06:50 AM

I will try to get a measurement today when I get home form work.

theodore/teddy 02-09-2012 10:14 AM

Steve thanks for the reply! I have some time before I hang the hood. Thought I would get some input, incase there is a need to search out some longer springs.
Maybe by adding an extra inch in stretch to these springs I'll be able to lift the hood with one hand HA HA!
These new hinges have the motorcraft / fomoco stickers and tags with the right # C0TB-16796/7 on them they are stamped made in brazil.
If anybody knows, Bill will!
P.S.--Steve you going to measure the hinges on your truck or the one on the shelf in your garage? LOL

ibuzzard 02-09-2012 08:50 PM

Sorry, I did not get the measurements,we worked late today,and got home just awhile ago.It's dark.You know,I believe I actually might have another pair,now you mention it,from an eBay auction of a few years back.They would still be in the box,unopened from when I bought them.

I will get the measurements on my truck tomorrow night.Would not be able to dig through my shop to check on the other pair till Sunday,as we are working 6 days per week for the next month or so,which will be good for my wallet.

theodore/teddy 02-09-2012 09:14 PM

Steve; Thanks! I'm not in a rush, and I appreciate your help.
Just cleaning and painting some of the smaller parts while avoiding other work that I should be doing (sheet metal). I would be interested to know if your hinges have the pin stop or the stop incorporated in the stamped metal.
Its good to hear your adding to your wallet. Lately seems like I've been emptying mine.

rgs4x 02-10-2012 10:26 AM

I like the home made spring extender!

ibuzzard 02-10-2012 07:16 PM

Wally,my springs,with the hood fully open,were extended to about 9 3/4".As for mounting,the top(hood side) hooks into a hole.On the bottom(cab side) are three graduated notches.Hope this helps.

Steve

theodore/teddy 02-10-2012 08:13 PM

Thanks Steve!
Guess when the time comes I'll try the shortest selection, and wear eye pro.

ibuzzard 02-10-2012 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by theodore/teddy (Post 11414874)
Thanks Steve!
Guess when the time comes I'll try the shortest selection, and wear eye pro.

And maybe a cup!

spurredon 02-10-2012 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by ibuzzard (Post 11410248)
till Sunday,as we are working 6 days per week for the next month or so,which will be good for my wallet.

Steve, are you doing new construction or what? Have things picked up out your way? Hope so! I ended up taking a job in a "food ingredient" factory and find myself doing more plumbing and repairs than the electrical instalations I was hired for! It all pays the same though. I use to think I didn't care for plumbing, now I know I don't. Unless it is brake or gas lines!:-X21

ibuzzard 02-10-2012 08:59 PM

At present,there is tons of (commercial)work here in the South S.F.Bay area.Pent-up construction/remodel demand by companies who could no longer put projects off.I've missed very little time this winter.I was not expecting that,but am not complaining.I do not like to work overtime,but you look like a horses ass for turning down work in this economy.I prefer to keep my desire for things to a minimum,so I don't need more money.They do keep short accounts in remembering who it was that helped them out in their hour of need.

NumberDummy 02-11-2012 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by theodore/teddy (Post 11406227)
I recently purchased a pair of "NOS" hood hinges off Ebay they look like my old ones with two exceptions the stop on the new ones is pin incorporated with a rivet where the old one used a step in the stamping where one of the levers (same lever on new one bangs into pin) would bang into it. The other difference is the location of the spring mounting hole (hood side of hinge).

You left out one very important detail...what are the Ford part numbers for the NOS hinges you bought?

In 1960, Ford replaced the 1957/59 hinges with 1960 hinges. The '57/63 Ford truck parts catalog sez that 1960 springs must be used with these hinges when installed on 1957/59's.

C0TB-16796-A (replaced B7C-16796-A) .. Right Hinge / C0TB-16797-A (replaced B7C-16797-A) .. Left Hinge

Use with C0TB-16789-B (replaced B7C-16789-A) .. Hood Spring / Updated applications for hinges/springs: 1957/60 F100/1100.

The thing is, most ebay sellers haven't a single clue what the NOS (or used) parts fit that they are selling. Sometimes they list the Ford part number, sometimes not.

At least once a week, someone whines, :'( moans that the NOS part they bought doesn't fit the same (if at all!) and/or looks different :-blah

Who is to blame? The buyers are, because they failed to research the part numbers, didn't ask for them if not listed....to verify if the parts were correct...before they bought them. :-X15

The 1957/63 FORD TRUCK PARTS CATALOG is available on a CD from hipoparts.com for 22 bucks. This is the first thing you should buy after buying the truck!

I'd be willing to bet you don't have it...because if you did, you would have known and I wouldn't have had to type this jazz.

ibuzzard 02-11-2012 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 11418187)
The 1957/63 FORD TRUCK PARTS CATALOG is available on a CD from hipoparts.com for 22 bucks. This is the first thing you should buy after buying the truck!

I'd be willing to bet you don't have it...because if you did, you would have known and I wouldn't have had to type this jazz.

Ouch!!!I think we've been "spanked".LOL!

(I own it.)

theodore/teddy 02-11-2012 11:04 PM

Hello Bill; nice to hear from you!
You are a cranky old fart when you don't get a nap! I understand it takes a lot out of you, when you jump to conclusions and can't take the time to read the thread! LOL
If you had, you would see that I posted the part numbers in my second post. I would not buy parts off ebay without doing some homework!
If your memory really was good you would remember from our recent PM's that I in fact do own the books and the CD's. I should have taken the bet!
My question was concerning the springs, I did note the 1960 part number for the spring and I did read that it was for the 1960 hinge part number. What I didn't know was if Ford changed the number and the spring or just the number. Which is why I was looking for measurements and if those measurements were for the new hinge. That is why I put pictures and asked if Steve's hinges had the pin stop. The pin stop is the most obvious difference in the new style, the other is the spring hole location, plus some stamping differences.
I do appreciate your help and your contributions to the FTE! As cantankerous as you are, you still provide some help!
Do you know if the spring length or specifications were changed, or just the number.
I did locate one spring cotb-16789-b, however if they are in fact different then mine I will need two. Any chance you have a line on some of these?