Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   F450 Rear Disc Brake Bleed Issue (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1136963-f450-rear-disc-brake-bleed-issue.html)

grainfedprairieboy 02-05-2012 05:27 PM

F450 Rear Disc Brake Bleed Issue

I've got a 2002 F450 V10 4x4 with rear disk brakes. I bought this truck a year ago with the intention of really using it at a later date. I recently noticed that both rear calipers were not functioning and that one of the rotors actually had one side completely ground off and this had likely been in this state since the previous owner as the pads were still essentially new.

There was no problem stopping the truck, even under load but as I want to start using the truck on a regular basis I decided to replace the rotors, pads and calipers. However, after bleeding the brakes for hours, cycling through at least 8 litres of fluid and including using a pneumatic power bleeder, I am unable to get the stiffness of the brakes to the point they were before I started.

Brakes will stiffen up just fine until truck is started then they are spongy and will eventually travel to the floor. Truck will stop while on a road test but definitely not tight like it should be or was before.

Anyone had experience with this sort of problem? Hate to just start randomly replacing things like a dealer.

critterf1 02-05-2012 07:09 PM

Are you still getting air out of the bleeders?

bucci 02-06-2012 05:39 AM

Perhaps there is air in the ABS module. If there is air in the ABS module, you have to take it someplace that can hook it up to a computer and cycle the solenoids to bleed the module.

T diesel 02-06-2012 08:00 AM

Are the bleeders on the top of your calipers?

grainfedprairieboy 02-06-2012 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by critterf1 (Post 11390797)
Are you still getting air out of the bleeders?

No air at all.

Originally Posted by bucci (Post 11390797)
Perhaps there is air in the ABS module. If there is air in the ABS module, you have to take it someplace that can hook it up to a computer and cycle the solenoids to bleed the module.

The ABS seems to work fine when I road tested it on a snow covered section. Also, I was able to lock up the front brakes just not the rear. Additionally, I don't know if it matters with the ABS module but there is no brake or ABS warning light on the dash or code thrown.

Originally Posted by T diesel (Post 11390797)
Are the bleeders on the top of your calipers?

On one side the bleeder is on top and the other side it is on the bottom as the calipers are the same just reversed.

T diesel 02-06-2012 11:16 AM

Both bleeders should be on top.

grainfedprairieboy 02-06-2012 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by T diesel (Post 11393458)

Yup. As usual the majority of failed repairs is due to my incompetence. Also should have paid more attention to the fact that the wrong part might be in the right box.

I`ll exchange tomorrow and update.

T diesel 02-06-2012 01:03 PM

Happened to me!:o

I believe you have to specify front or rear mounted.

T diesel 02-23-2012 06:11 PM

Did you get the problem solved?

Kajtek1 02-23-2012 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by T diesel (Post 11393458)

Not on Ford. I have the same situation when they manufacture only one side caliper and put it upside down on other side.
I removed the caliper, turned it upside down with a shim between pads and bleed it this way.

T diesel 02-24-2012 05:42 AM

Mine are on top.

fergie2012 11-10-2012 07:15 PM

nightmare brakes

I had the same problem with my 1999 F450,it is easy to get the wrong calipers,bleeders have to be on top to bleed properly,invest in a $50 vacuum pump as these calipers are huge and pumping the brakes too soon just adds more problems,was able to remove most of the air with the pump and a couple of brake pedal pumps with a helper got rid of the rest.Had a bit of an issue with low pedal when first starting truck but a few hard stops and the pedal was better than before.When bleeding calipers,it is easy to know if the air is out as they will start working as your helper is applying pressure while you are working the bleeder.

Charles Shank 03-03-2017 02:49 PM

07 f450...

I've got an 07 f450 here... Replaced rear pads, rotors,and calipers, bled system... Even hooked a computer to it to bleed abs actuators... Still have no rear brakes, front will lock up...
​​​​​

jetjockey99 03-03-2017 06:53 PM

Who ever told you that Ford only makes 1 rear caliper for these trucks, so that one will have the bleeder on the bottom is smokin' something and it ain't good ****. Both bleeders are always on top, there are 2 different part numbers depending if both calipers are mounted behind the axle or if 1 is mounted on the front side of the axle. With the bleeder on the bottom it is all but impossible to get all the air out of the lines, without a lot of extra work. Also air in the ABS does not always set a code. If the brake pedal slowly goes to the floor you may also have a bad master cylinder.