Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   Brake line flush (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1135607-brake-line-flush.html)

Y-oh-Y 01-31-2012 10:05 PM

Brake line flush

I have a 60 f100 that is getting a new brake system, everything is being replaced but the brake lines. I am planning on flushing the existing lines out with a large syringe and colman lantern fuel. I have been told that colman fuel dries leaving no residue. Master cylinder, hoses and wheel cylinders have been removed.

Any thoughts as to a better way to do a budget flush ?

Thanks, Mark

thundersnow70 02-01-2012 07:10 AM

i have never heard of the coleman fuel flush. if i was doing it, i would just flush the lines with more brake fluid. something about putting a fuel in the brake line that doesnt sit well with me. if you do go with the fuel flush, i would blow them out with compressed air when you are done. might not want to be smoking when you do it.:-X19

good luck!

GB SISSON 02-01-2012 10:20 AM

I've always used alcohol to clean brake parts. I think that is the recommended solvent. Coleman fuel (Dad called it 'white gas') is a petroleum product, and any left behind is bad for your new rubber parts. Alcohol, like coleman fuel leaves no residue. My .02

Grubbworm 02-01-2012 10:35 AM

I use denatured alcohol when I flush mine every couple of years. I get it at The Home Depot.

Y-oh-Y 02-01-2012 01:27 PM

I thank you for your thoughts. I figgered sometimes it's better to go with whats known than to go with a maybe. Alcohol it was, worked just fine.

Thanks, Mark

Rusting-Nuts 02-01-2012 05:13 PM

Ahhhmm....I think just using brake wash might be a good thing to use since that is what it is made for. But I'm with thundersnow70 on just using new clean brake fluid to flush the lines. I wouldn't want to contaminate the system with anything.

Good luck, Jack

Y-oh-Y 02-01-2012 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rusting-Nuts (Post 11371800)
Ahhhmm....I think just using brake wash might be a good thing to use since that is what it is made for. But I'm with thundersnow70 on just using new clean brake fluid to flush the lines. I wouldn't want to contaminate the system with anything.

Good luck, Jack

The alcohol is a lot more fun, just fill the system, drain and then light a match. no more debris and it dries the system at the same time.:-X21

spurredon 02-01-2012 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Grubbworm (Post 11370140)
I use denatured alcohol when I flush mine every couple of years. I get it at The Home Depot.

That sure makes me feel like a slacker! I have never flushed the lines except at replacement times. Of course, here in the lovely NE, that don't last that long anyway! They rot from the outside!

Grubbworm 02-02-2012 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by spurredon (Post 11372712)
That sure makes me feel like a slacker! I have never flushed the lines except at replacement times. Of course, here in the lovely NE, that don't last that long anyway! They rot from the outside!

Down here it is the high humidity that gets to them. The humidity gets absorbed into the brake fluid and causes issues from within.

Through the years I have found that the more preventative maintenance you do the less you have to do in repairs.

1959_f100 02-02-2012 03:43 PM

i would definatly re flush them with brake fluid after using anything else just to make sure you get it all out. you should not use regular shop air to flush out brakes.