Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Any problem in CA. with smog cert running w/o a muffer? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1134534-any-problem-in-ca-with-smog-cert-running-w-o-a-muffer.html)

smithrock 01-28-2012 10:31 AM

Any problem in CA. with smog cert running w/o a muffer?

Any of you in CA. know if there is a problem running an exhaust without a muffler when getting your truck smogged? I'm looking at getting a new exhaust for my '02 F250 and don't want to have smog issues

Kajtek1 01-28-2012 11:11 AM

did you try to call smog station?
Muffler is not part of emission system, so IMHO it should not matter on smog test.
On the other hand CHP might pull you over for that, but they never do that to Harley owners.

12pump 01-28-2012 11:23 AM

I just went to get my smog check done. The tech looked at my truck and asked if I still had the stock air filter box. he told me to put it on. He said the exhaust was fine as long as your is a non-catalyst. I'm sure all techs are different. My current air filter is a 6637.

smithrock 01-28-2012 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by 12pump (Post 11350798)
I just went to get my smog check done. The tech looked at my truck and asked if I still had the stock air filter box. he told me to put it on. He said the exhaust was fine as long as your is a non-catalyst. I'm sure all techs are different. My current air filter is a 6637.

I was also looking at putting on a 6637 filter kit. I thought they were CA smog legal? Why did he want you to put the stock set up back on? would he of failed you if not? so tired of CA. emissions crap!:-arrgh

Stewart_H 01-28-2012 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by smithrock (Post 11350912)
I was also looking at putting on a 6637 filter kit. I thought they were CA smog legal? Why did he want you to put the stock set up back on? would he of failed you if not? so tired of CA. emissions crap!:-arrgh

Because the tech is uninformed.

Any intake filter is CARB approved.

Stewart

smithrock 01-28-2012 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 11350982)
Because the tech is uninformed.

Any intake filter is CARB approved.

Stewart

So then the 6637 kit has the CARB sticker? I'm also looking to put on a 4" turbo back exhaust. Any problems there? I have no other mods at this time. April of 2012 will be smog time for me. Just trying to avoid the headache!:(

12pump 01-28-2012 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by smithrock (Post 11350912)

Not sure. I left without getting a smog.

Bonanza35 01-28-2012 02:28 PM

Go down to the CARB web site and print out the part on the air cleaner. When I read it last it was fine on diesels to change air cleaners to any kind, along with exhaust if you don't have a cat. I just pulled a cat apart. The center section is a 5inch thick square piece that is right in the center. So you should be able to weld your four inch pipe right on to both sides of the cat without changing the inturnals of the cat. I know that isn't like removing but would let you have four inch all the way back.

Chet

smithrock 01-28-2012 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bonanza35 (Post 11351340)
Go down to the CARB web site and print out the part on the air cleaner. When I read it last it was fine on diesels to change air cleaners to any kind, along with exhaust if you don't have a cat. I just pulled a cat apart. The center section is a 5inch thick square piece that is right in the center. So you should be able to weld your four inch pipe right on to both sides of the cat without changing the inturnals of the cat. I know that isn't like removing but would let you have four inch all the way back.

Chet

My truck doesn't have a cat. I'll check that website.

A/Ox4 01-28-2012 04:17 PM

Listen up. I am tired of saying this...

AIR FILTERS WILL NOT (SHOULD NOT) FAIL A SMOG INSPECTION.
MUFFLERS WILL NOT (SHOULD NOT) FAIL A SMOG INSPECTION.

If they do go to a new smog place.

vthao 01-28-2012 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by A/Ox4 (Post 11351662)

What he said. If your truck has a catalytic converter, so long as nothing is modified before the cat you should be fine (ie no muffler).

smithrock 01-28-2012 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by A/Ox4 (Post 11351662)

Really? Listen up? It's not like you commented on my post earlier and I'm asking YOU again! And really, (will not) and (should not) are 2 different things. But yeah I hope you're right.

A/Ox4 01-28-2012 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by smithrock (Post 11352048)
Really? Listen up? It's not like you commented on my post earlier and I'm asking YOU again! And really, (will not) and (should not) are 2 different things. But yeah I hope you're right.

It wasnt really directed at any one person... It just to make a clear concise answer so any one who stumbles upon the thread doesnt have to ask it again.. :-X16

But I'll go sit in my corner...

Stewart_H 01-28-2012 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by smithrock (Post 11351174)
So then the 6637 kit has the CARB sticker?

No, it doesn't. But it doesn't need one either because ALL intake systems have been OK'd by the California Air Resource Board.

I'm also looking to put on a 4" turbo back exhaust. Any problems there?
No. Same as the intake. All exhaust systems (turbo back) have been OK'd by CARB.

Originally Posted by Bonanza35 (Post 11351340)
Go down to the CARB web site and print out the part on the air cleaner.

Just find a post by Marv (SpringerPop) and check his sig. The last time I looked, he has all the CARB smog check stuff linked in his sig.

Originally Posted by smithrock (Post 11351360)
My truck doesn't have a cat. I'll check that website.

Does your valve cover sticker state your rig came with a cat? You might also have a sticker on the bottom of your hood, next to the latch.

What year is your truck? What trans does it have?

Originally Posted by A/Ox4 (Post 11352164)
It wasnt really directed at any one person... It just to make a clear concise answer so any one who stumbles upon the thread doesnt have to ask it again.. :-X16

But I'll go sit in my corner...

Trey, post here long enough and you'll see the same questions get posted over and over and over and over and over and over.......

Stewart

A/Ox4 01-28-2012 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 11352516)
Trey, post here long enough and you'll see the same questions get posted over and over and over and over and over and over.......

Stewart

I know.. I should know by now :-X04