Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Maryland Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum186/)
-   -   Surge > Electric brake conversion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1133224-surge-electric-brake-conversion.html)

Blown284 01-23-2012 03:14 PM

Surge > Electric brake conversion

Converted "hydraulic" brakes over to "electric"? My toy hauler is currently surge (i.e. hydraulic) and while the brakes worked great last year, I wasn't exactly the most comfortable towing up and down the steep mountains of West Virginia with this much weight .... LOL.

Know of anyone that would be willing to tackle this job for me?

Thanks,
Tim

BPofMD 01-23-2012 03:16 PM

Do you know what's involved, Tim? That would be a great MOD DAY job!

Blown284 01-23-2012 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by BPofMD (Post 11326869)
Do you know what's involved, Tim? That would be a great MOD DAY job!

No idea.... lots of options that I've read about: Electric over hydraulic. Electric, etc. All look like decent options, however, not to be a cheapskate, however, money is tight and if it's going to cost too much I'll just wait and won't have any other options.

BPofMD 01-23-2012 03:24 PM

Did you know there is an RV/trailer forum on FTE? Go here: Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

I'll bet you could find out all you need to know about the conversion. Just ask...someone will be there that's done it.

Blown284 01-23-2012 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by BPofMD (Post 11326905)
Did you know there is an RV/trailer forum on FTE? Go here: Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

I'll bet you could find out all you need to know about the conversion. Just ask...someone will be there that's done it.

Done! Thanks. and no, I did look there. Guess my ADHD kicked in. :-jammin}>

BPofMD 01-23-2012 03:42 PM

..... hehehehe

dustybumpers 01-23-2012 03:55 PM

Well............. The only thing you re use between the 2 is the brake drum, so get ready to change some parts. A lot of people just drum to drum the axle. Cheaper in the long run, and much quicker to do the work. Cost wise, I would think it would even out by the time you add the labor and parts up between the 2.

Blown284 01-23-2012 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by dustybumpers (Post 11327029)
Well............. The only thing you re use between the 2 is the brake drum, so get ready to change some parts. A lot of people just drum to drum the axle. Cheaper in the long run, and much quicker to do the work. Cost wise, I would think it would even out by the time you add the labor and parts up between the 2.

Yep. I've read some folks saying that it actually, in the long run, might be cheaper to get the axles with the drum/disc already on it (for electric). Sure sounds like a very costly adventure.

dustybumpers 01-23-2012 04:02 PM

Not that bad. depending on the weight, you only have to brake 1 axle. I did my equipment trailer, 2 axles for $500. That was labor and all. Go to camping places, sometimes you can get a drum to drum used and in decent shape for about $100 each

Blown284 01-23-2012 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by dustybumpers (Post 11327069)
Not that bad. depending on the weight, you only have to brake 1 axle. I did my equipment trailer, 2 axles for $500. That was labor and all. Go to camping places, sometimes you can get a drum to drum used and in decent shape for about $100 each

Ya that's what I figured. Thanks agian for all the help. I truly appreciate it.

dustybumpers 01-23-2012 04:08 PM

Not a problem. Just do like me, and start collecting everything. When you get ready, we'll do a blow by blow. If you need to make a list, you can come over, and get the creeper and check out the equipment trailer. You know there has to be a battery and a break away on it too with electric brakes.................

Blown284 01-23-2012 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by dustybumpers (Post 11327097)
Not a problem. Just do like me, and start collecting everything. When you get ready, we'll do a blow by blow. If you need to make a list, you can come over, and get the creeper and check out the equipment trailer. You know there has to be a battery and a break away on it too with electric brakes.................

Yep I'm aware of the electric/battery for breakaway brakes. I like that setup a lot better. Last thing I need is to risk my life potentially losing brakes with the trailer the way it is. Don't get me wrong, it performed fine last year and I wouldn't really have these concerns if I was only towing on flat ground, however, .........

dustybumpers 01-23-2012 04:19 PM

Well, They have their place, but I don't care for them, especially when backing up.....

Blown284 01-23-2012 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by dustybumpers (Post 11327154)
Well, They have their place, but I don't care for them, especially when backing up.....

It's fun and like pushing a car hahahahaha.

RV_Tech 01-23-2012 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Blown284 (Post 11327240)
It's fun and like pushing a car hahahahaha.

I addressed some of this on the trailer forum, but would note surge brakes have been around for decades and have a proven track record. Electric brakes are hardly without their weaknesses.

Steve