Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   bubbles in de-gas bottle (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1132650-bubbles-in-de-gas-bottle.html)

rruid 01-21-2012 03:04 PM

bubbles in de-gas bottle

Bubbles in de-gas bottle only after engine reaches it's normal operating temp. A new EGR cooler was just installed as well as a new de-gas bottle with the venturi alteration. Never had a de-gas puking issue until after the previously mentioned work was performed and the issues started immediately afterwords. Possibilities other than head gaskets? Cavitation? I assume that my SCT monitor reads the EOT in degrees C, as it consistently runs about 90 degrees with ECT running about 190 with no fluctuation without load change. No steam from exhaust, or hydro locking issues. Radiator changed once and barely seeping now, thermostats are original.
Any thoughts?

senix 01-21-2012 04:55 PM

Upon cooling down do you need to add coolant? This sounds to me like air is still in the system.

What are the levels on the degas bottle cold and hot?

For your sct monitor you should be able to change from c to F.

Bounds-Electric 01-21-2012 09:24 PM

Bubbles in de-gas bottle may go away after a time of heating up and cooling down. I would keep bottle full to line and give it a week. If after that it is still bubbling I would take back to dealer.

rruid 01-23-2012 05:45 PM

I want to add an update. It appears that one huge contributing factor to all of my issues is a misunderstanding between myself and Innovative Diesel, who my tunes are through. When the truck was in the shop last the dealer loaded one of Fords P-30 flashes. I had to have my programer updated to work with this latest flash. A new option in the tuner asks if the EGR has been disabled. I chose no as it has not, but I found out on Saturday from Innovative Diesel that I needed to select yes, as there tune disables the EGR. Bottom line is the bubbling seems to be easing (and I am hoping) and the strange thing is that the coolant level is fluctuating. Checking the morning after driving the truck the level has ranged from 1" over the full line to 1" under where I filled it a couple weeks ago. This truck generally only moves to haul a camper. skidsteer or Jeep, I am putting on garbage miles right now just to run it through hot cold cycles. Thanks for the input and I will update when everything settles in.

rruid 02-01-2012 07:49 PM

No more wishful thinking. Is there anything other than headgaskets that can induce air into the coolant system? If I put a load on the truck and run it hard on a hill it will eventually start to vent a little out of the de-gas bottle. Sure acts like a head gasket doesn't it.

slowmans 02-01-2012 08:07 PM

maybe the cap on degas bottle is bad? cheap diag. worth a try?

rruid 02-01-2012 08:26 PM

I like the thought! the bottle holds pressure to the point of removing the cap when cool and the fluid level will rise as the pressure is released. I can put the truck in gear, hold the brake, load the tranny and watch the occasional bubbles turn to what looks like almost like foaming (no actual foam).

senix 02-01-2012 08:26 PM

cap will cost about 10-11 bucks. You could try that and hope. If this motor is till under warranty, I would put it back to stock for now till you get this figured out.

Sounds like a headgasket issue.

rruid 02-01-2012 09:18 PM

The problem with returning to stock is a long story with a short answer, I don't have a functioning cat/DPF, as mine seem to be hollow since 8/07. I have been looking for replacements lately and they are currently a bit hard to come by. I had a friend (a Ford Tech) tell me a couple weeks ago that his 2 cents was head gaskets, but it is harder to diagnose when the factory computer can't help and I don't want my dealer to go any deeper with the truck as is. From a guy looking for replacements, hang on to those stock pieces! I really think that the leaking EGR cooler and my countless long hauls from the Cameo and Fusion yards in the Elkhart IN., which let me run low on coolant as the motor was rarely cold and I didn't know about the leak as soon as I should have. I read another article earlier tonight about cooling systems and there link to head gaskets and sighed.

senix 02-02-2012 05:00 AM

long hauls have nothing to do with it. Sometimes mine will run 14-16 hour days with temps of 210-220 all day long.

It is the tuner pushing out more hp and heavy towing combined.

When I tow heavy I am in stock power.

Bounds-Electric 02-02-2012 05:37 AM

The long hauls are were this motor shines!

rruid 02-02-2012 05:12 PM

Sorry guys but you missed the point, as I probably didn't state it very well. I was not saying that the long hauls hurt the motor, I was stating that on the long hauls when the EGR cooler started leaking I did not know that the coolant was low as there were no warning signs until the damage was done. It was normal for me to run 1000 to 1200 miles/24 hours for three to a max of four days, then take the rest of the week off. I blame this problem on a leak that I did not catch due mostly to a lack of open hood maintenance. I have hauled 12-15000# loads for in excess of 40,000 loaded miles running a 230HP tune, as it had the best mileage. In my free time I enjoy fourwheeling (rockcrawling), Just because there is more power under your foot doesn't mean that you have to use it, finesse! Thanks for all the help!

Vinford 10-29-2014 10:47 PM

Where are you located Rruid?
Ive got a Cat/DPF you can have..................