Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   Gearbox Z DPF-R Programmer (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1132166-gearbox-z-dpf-r-programmer.html)

cdruyor 01-19-2012 01:03 PM

Gearbox Z DPF-R Programmer

I am considering buying the Gearbox Z DPF-R Programmer and CAT/DPF delete race pipe. Anyone have experience with these units? Recomendations? (Brand-new to the forum, so please be gentle...)

pyro2nite 01-19-2012 01:23 PM

This question was asked several months ago. Allot of people chimed in saying get a Spartan, H&S etc. Several said they try ed it and liked it. If you are just removing the DOC/DPF sounds like it might work. The draw back would be there are no HP or trans shifting options and you cannot monitor pyro temps etc.

cdruyor 01-19-2012 01:30 PM

Gearbox Z

Thank you for the response. I am not interested in more power- just getting that crap off my truck and possibly better fuel economy. My main concern is screwing up my truck.

dman255 01-19-2012 02:27 PM

I am running the Gearbox Z DPF-R Programmer on my 2010 6.4 and it's been working great. They offer one that just shuts off the regen cycles and the egrs. That is what i am running. They also make one with a tune in it for economy if you want it. I run the banks 6 gun IQ for a tuner and the dpf-r for the dpf delete and so far it's been great.

senix 01-19-2012 02:36 PM

I'd recommend it. Simple, easy to install and is compatible with other monitoring devices.

smotrs 01-19-2012 02:59 PM

Yeah, if your only looking to get rid of the junk, I would say that's the way to go as well. I've heard from owners that the mileage results are very good. Installation is super easy, plug it into the OBD port and follow the prompts, when done unplug it and store it in the center console or in your home. Back to stock is just as easy.

sdcowman 01-19-2012 03:32 PM

well , I tried one based on mostly good reviews found on the 'net

mine is the 4.0+ version , I first loaded the econony tune and all was well for around ten days.....then the truck went into a mode where it was spewing fuel smelling white or grey smoke out the tailpipe , and wouldn't even pull its own weight ...running and chugging very rough

called gear box z , and they claimed I needed to install EGR blockers to cure the problem , I could be wrong , but I didn't buy that explanation . there is absolutely nothing on their website or in the instruction booklet that spells out the need for blocker plates

as a last resort , I returned the truck to stock and installed the no power delete only tune....truck started and ran fine for about ten miles then went into the same problem mode...I was lucky to get it home .

since then I have been running a minimax with zero issues

another quirk with the DPF R is the fact you have no screen to run the tuner...you have to follow a voice prompt menu...this is a problem if you are an old fud like me that is somewhat hard of hearing , I simply could not hear the little speaker well enough to follow the menu and had to have my son in law come over to run the tuner for me

my recommendation is to spend a couple hundred more $$ and get one of the more recognized tuners.

StanleyZ 01-19-2012 09:25 PM

Was the truck going into Exhaust cleaning? I asked because I have an Edge that I tried to run in the "stocck" setting. Right after I started the truck it went into exhaust cleaning mode and I could smell the fuel and see the smoke. Of course I shut it right off and reset the programer.

sdcowman 01-20-2012 08:06 AM

Stan , according to the system check , no , it was not trying to regen ..... and the truck had always ran fine even when it was in regen and stock

I was relieved when I got the minimax installed and the truck ran good ; I was beginning to think I had some bigger problem going on.....

smotrs 01-20-2012 09:20 AM

I've actually never heard that one before. The people I know with it haven't ever mentioned that problem at all. Makes me wonder if something else was going on.

BROWN DOG KTM 01-21-2012 06:11 PM

My gearbox z has been great & my trans shifts
like it's supposed too, unlike the superchips junk
Tuner I first ran & then sold.

I recently removed my stock intake elbow, egr
valve & throttle flap motor to install the
Alum intake elbow from powerstoke connection /
angel automotive.

It runs great but I'm getting the dreaded wrench
light & code P0488 from the the throttle motor plate
being removed .....

The gearbox z deletes the EGR circuit but NOT the
Throttle plate motor circuit that "only" regulates
air flow from the cooler.

StanleyZ 01-21-2012 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by sdcowman (Post 11311986)
Stan , according to the system check , no , it was not trying to regen ..... and the truck had always ran fine even when it was in regen and stock

I was relieved when I got the minimax installed and the truck ran good ; I was beginning to think I had some bigger problem going on.....

Yeah, it was just a guess. What you described seems strange. The tuner just reprograms the ECM, once the new program is installed it should either work, work with flaws or bomb and not work at all. Seems strange that it would work for 10 days and then bomb, unless you were doing something that you hadn't done for the first 10 days. like towing, or using the tow haul or pulling a bigger hill. But you can write a lot of books about what I don't know about computers. It's good your working fine now.

sdcowman 01-22-2012 09:09 AM

well , I sure wish the dpf r had worked out for me , the truck seemed to run very nice at first and it looked like the mpg would be great

I have to think my unit was defective , but as it turns out , having the voice prompts versus a visual screen is a deal killer for me .

BROWN DOG KTM 01-22-2012 12:11 PM

I don't care for the monitor screen deal with basically
a stock truck.

cdruyor 01-23-2012 02:34 PM

Took the plunge and ordered the kit. I will report back with how it goes... I do appreciate the opinions from everyone: made the decision a LOT easier!