Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   56 Ford F100 NAPCO (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1132106-56-ford-f100-napco.html)

HarleyGyrene 01-19-2012 06:55 AM

56 Ford F100 NAPCO

Sorry if I offended anyone with my previous post on my 56 NAPCO by placing it here instead of the classifieds. That thread was deleted and I was appropriately reminded to use the classifieds.

Since I am in no hurry to sell (and can't post to the classifieds yet anyway), I'll just hang around here for awhile, if y'all don't mind.

Great forum, by the way and lots of good info !!

Jake

:-jammin

jmadsen 01-19-2012 09:33 AM

No offense taken here, Guess I missed that post anyway. ;) You came to the right place.

I still don't quite understand why a new memebr has to have 25 posts before they can use private messages and or post to classifieds??? maybe they worry about people coming here just to use the classifieds and not be an active part of the forum??? :-huh I personally don't see how it matters either way. selling a part, etc to someone is still helping someone, just in a different way.

So since you need 25 posts why don't you post up some pictures or links to pictures of your truck and tell us a little bit about it, what you know it's history, maybe what it was used for etc, etc. (in as many posts as you feel neccesary ;);) )

oh by the way, I though Napco only did conversions on GMC, Chevy Etc.... :-X19 :-X04 oh and where are you located?

Josh

wilsel 01-19-2012 09:56 AM

I never got to see your last answer to my questions before it was deleted, you can email me at lamar_wilson@hotmail.com

51PanelMan 01-19-2012 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by jmadsen (Post 11307686)
oh by the way, I though Napco only did conversions on GMC, Chevy Etc.... :-X19 :-X04 oh and where are you located?

Josh

That's correct, Josh. NAPCO was GM's supplier of 4x4 conversions just like Marmon-Herrington was for Ford. However, NAPCO did do a few Ford and Dodge conversions, as well as Coleman. Both, NAPCO and Coleman conversions, are rare on a Ford. Even more rarer than the M-H conversions.

truckdog62563 01-19-2012 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by 51PanelMan (Post 11307909)
That's correct, Josh. NAPCO was GM's supplier of 4x4 conversions just like Marmon-Herrington was for Ford. However, NAPCO did do a few Ford and Dodge conversions, as well as Coleman. Both, NAPCO and Coleman conversions, are rare on a Ford. Even more rarer than the M-H conversions.

Not sure I agree that a Napco Ford is rarer than a M-H, but if they are I sure don't think that would make them more desirable. No numbers exist to show how many of each were made so there's no resolving it. Since M-H was the approved Ford converter, there'll maybe be less Napcos for that reason. Also, the Napco conversion was a dealer installed set up which made them much less expensive. A M-H conversion doubled the cost of the truck. M-H had to disassemble the whole truck and modify the frames in most cases. Chuck has said that on later half tons only, M-H did allow a few dealer installations. Also Studebaker used Napco conversions.

Did we ever hear why the man's truck is missing its front drive shaft? That raises lots of red flags to me. Stu

HarleyGyrene 01-19-2012 11:00 AM

So since you need 25 posts why don't you post up some pictures or links to pictures of your truck and tell us a little bit about it, what you know it's history, maybe what it was used for etc, etc. (in as many posts as you feel neccesary ;);) )

Thanks, Josh. Here is a link to the pictures here

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - HarleyGyrene's Album: 56 F100 NAPCO

HarleyGyrene 01-19-2012 11:03 AM

No offense taken here, Guess I missed that post anyway. ;) You came to the right place.

Josh

Don't know much about the history: popped up in the local classifieds and I went to take a look. Had Wyoming plates (80's) on it. Had NEVER seen one before so I had to grab it ! The research said that most of the conversions went to fire dept. or to the forest service.

HarleyGyrene 01-19-2012 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by 51PanelMan (Post 11307909)

Absolutely correct: they were a dealer option/conversion. Don't know if they are more rare than the M-H, but try searching for one that's for sale ! :-drink

HarleyGyrene 01-19-2012 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by truckdog62563 (Post 11308029)

Did we ever hear why the man's truck is missing its front drive shaft? That raises lots of red flags to me. Stu

It's laying right here on the bench, my friend !

51PanelMan 01-19-2012 11:08 AM

I'll agree with Stu. Rare doesn't always equal desirable or expensive. However, completeness and completion does add to the value. Still a neat and different conversion.

If I were in the market for a different and unique truck, I'd probably go after the NAPCO or Coleman conversion than a M-H, but that's just my preference.

HarleyGyrene 01-19-2012 11:11 AM

By the way, it was located on a farm in Lyman, NE. Guy I bought it from didn't have any history on it either. But it started up (smoked like crazy, but started) and I drove it around the farm yard. Having not had any TLC or grease for years made it a pure joy to corner, but it MOVED under it's own power !!

truckdog62563 01-19-2012 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by HarleyGyrene (Post 11308122)
It's laying right here on the bench, my friend !

If you're intent on breaking forum rules by advertising your truck here, you need to expect critical commentary for all to read. "Laying right here on the bench" doesn't tell us that the front axle is intact. Stu

HarleyGyrene 01-19-2012 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by truckdog62563 (Post 11308153)
If you're intent on breaking forum rules by advertising your truck here, you need to expect critical commentary for all to read. "Laying right here on the bench" doesn't tell us that the front axle is intact. Stu

Stu, sorry, but I am not advertising my truck for sale here. At some point it may end up in the classifieds, but I thought we were having a "discussion" regarding this truck. The front axle is complete. The pices laying on the bench is the drive shaft between the NAPCO unit and the front axle.

Sheeesh, sorry: THE TRUCK IS NOT FOR SALE AT THIS TIME.

truckdog62563 01-19-2012 11:25 AM

Yeah, right. Stu

HarleyGyrene 01-19-2012 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by truckdog62563 (Post 11308216)
Yeah, right. Stu

Stu, we apparently got off to a bad start. You are a long time member and obviously know your stuff. This is not the only '56 I have and was happy to find this forum: the wealth of information (and cool pictures) is amazing. If I personally offended you somehow, I am sorry. I am not trying to thwart or break forum rules. I am a member of numerous motorcycle and other forums in good standing. I have already made the decision to NOT list the NAPCO unit here, if and when I decide it is for sale.

Again, sorry, don't know what else I can do... Didn't mean to screw up your day !