Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Straight Pipe vs Muffler? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1131276-straight-pipe-vs-muffler.html)

Finally Powerstrokin 01-16-2012 10:56 AM

Straight Pipe vs Muffler?

Im gonna get a 4" turbo back exhaust for my truck. I am thinking of going for the one with the muffler delete pipe. My truck is a 2002 F250 Right now I have the 6637 filter kit from Clay. I have a SCT Livewire tuner with the EGT sensor that I usually leave on the 80HP economy tune but I also have a performance tune and a towing tune that I run every now and then too. Like I said I am going to put a new exhaust but I wanted to hear from some of you guys or gals why you perfer the straight pipe or the muffler. I love to hear my powerstroke so I am leaning towards the straight pipe but just wanted to know the disadvantages and advantages of both. Thanks in advance for your input on this.

Riffraff Diesel 01-16-2012 11:15 AM

I prefer a muffler on all of ours but here is something you could try cheap and see what you think.

Riffraff Diesel: Stock Muffler Delete Pipe

F250_ 01-16-2012 01:10 PM

My son simply cut and removed the muffler and tailpipe from off his truck. Sounds like crap ("ricer f*rt can") and has coated the entire underside of his truck with soot. I won't even get under there to help him work on stuff because you can't help but get completely covered in black soot from everything you come into contact with. He is now planning on getting a Walker Big Truck muffler once he graduates, and eventually replacing the exhaust system altogether with a new 4" setup.

blowhole 01-16-2012 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by F250_ (Post 11293051)
My son simply cut and removed the muffler and tailpipe from off his truck. Sounds like crap ("ricer f*rt can") and has coated the entire underside of his truck with soot. I won't even get under there to help him work on stuff because you can't help but get completely covered in black soot from everything you come into contact with. He is now planning on getting a Walker Big Truck muffler once he graduates, and eventually replacing the exhaust system altogether with a new 4" setup.

: "ricer fart can" --> bwahahahahahaha!! nice one ....

DesertStorm 01-16-2012 03:20 PM

Im running a 4" turbo back to a 6" single stack. I love the way it sounds especially when on it hard. (think low flying F-16) Then when the wastegate closes between gear changes(six speed), man its awesome.

But to each his own!!!!!

bulla 01-16-2012 05:22 PM

A 7.3 powerstroke just can't be to loud to need a muffler. My opinion!

Firefighter 1406 01-16-2012 06:02 PM

Straight pipe. Order the MBRP 4" turbo back with muffler. I figured I wasted my money after one 10 min test drive and the muffler came off and went on Craigslist. Love the sound of the 7.3 without the muffler, is not to loud when idleing but plenty loud when you want it to be.

muddywater 01-16-2012 06:03 PM

i have a 3 inch downpipe, 4 inch back to the rear with no mufflers and an huge 8 inch tip. sounds great when my tune is on 150hp and its rollin coal at the rices.

JOHN2001 01-16-2012 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by bulla (Post 11294224)
A 7.3 powerstroke just can't be to loud to need a muffler. My opinion!

^^^^^^^^X2^^^^^^^^^ WHAT HE SAID!!!!!!!! :-jammin

High Intentions 01-16-2012 07:08 PM

I have the muffler delete 4" on mine and love it as well.

1996pwrstrk 01-16-2012 07:13 PM

I put a MBRP 4" cool duals on mine 75,000 miles ago and threw away the muffler the day I put it on. I get all kinds of compliments on the way it sounds but it's not loud in the cab at all . And I agree with bulla a 7.3 can't be to loud to need a muffler .

Finally Powerstrokin 01-16-2012 08:32 PM

Ok so I see that there are some different opinions on the sounds of straight pipe vs mufflered, but is there any performance or fuel consumption difference? I mean it seems to me that without the muffler you would have less restriction and thus maybe lower EGT's:-huh I still think I am leaning towards the straight pipe but trying to learn everything I can and I do value Clay's opinion very much so I would like to hear more from him on why he prefers a muffler.

Finally Powerstrokin 01-16-2012 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance (Post 11292491)
I prefer a muffler on all of ours but here is something you could try cheap and see what you think.

Riffraff Diesel: Stock Muffler Delete Pipe

Hey Clay does this muffler delete pipe need to be welded or does it just slip over the pipe?

fordpower88 01-16-2012 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Finally Powerstrokin (Post 11295410)
Ok so I see that there are some different opinions on the sounds of straight pipe vs mufflered, but is there any performance or fuel consumption difference? I mean it seems to me that without the muffler you would have less restriction and thus maybe lower EGT's:-huh I still think I am leaning towards the straight pipe but trying to learn everything I can and I do value Clay's opinion very much so I would like to hear more from him on why he prefers a muffler.

Muffler or not is gonna be completely personal preference. The muffler on the new system is not gonna cause the egt's to go up hardly at all if at all because of the straight thru design. I think you are just gonna have to pick one and then see what you like. You can always add the muffler if you don't like the sound of the straight pipe. You might be able to go to a local shop and see if they have a scrap piece of pipe and have them bend it and throw it in with a couple clamps and see what you think.

Riffraff Diesel 01-16-2012 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Finally Powerstrokin (Post 11295432)
Hey Clay does this muffler delete pipe need to be welded or does it just slip over the pipe?

Just slips on and can be clamped or welded.