Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fuel Injection, Carburetion & Fuel System (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum72/)
-   -   460 ECM problem? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1130840-460-ecm-problem.html)

85lebaront2 01-14-2012 07:22 PM

460 ECM problem?

I am going to post this in several forums so if it shows up twice, just bear with me.

I have been working on updating my 1986 F350 with carbureted 460 and C6 to EFI 460 and E4OD. I installed the EFI top end on my short block in December and got it running using a manual transmission ECM. The engine ran fine, a little noisy due to open exhaust, but seemed to run quite well.
I discovered that the E4OD exhaust pipes wouldn't fit the C6 cross member and the old exhaust pipes wouldn't fit the EFI manifolds (Ford changed the angle of the flanges). In order to save doing the exhaust twice, I decided to go ahead with the E4OD installation. After getting it installed and finding that the front driveshaft a friend had gotten for me was too large a spline diameter to fit my rear section I was at an impasse. This was over New Year's weekend, so finding one was out of the question. I finally had my old front section cut to fit.

After getting this done, I installed the ECM for the E4OD as I could now run it and check operation. First problem, it ran like crap so I put the manual transmission ECM back in, same problem. Started checking and found only the center 4 injectors were working. After several hours of going through wiring etc., I took apart the ECM plug and found that bank 1 injector female receptacle was loose. Being cautious, I checked bank 2 also and found the same thing. Now it at least ran on all 8 again.
After filling and running through all 4 gears on jack stands, I put it on the ground and went to drive it up the street and back. The engine cut off several times like it had some bad signals so I got my scanner out and checked, there were several codes, ACT open, ECT open, EVR open, PIP erratic. I ended up taking the ECM plug apart again and going through all the pins, most of the codes turned out to be loose connections. After fixing these I figured I had it. I went to drive the truck to the muffler shop, and just about every time around 12-1500rpm it would buck, miss, and frequently cut off. If you kept enough throttle it would keep running.

I figured, ok it's probably the TFI module, I have a spare, so I changed it, no help, ok, I was getting an erratic PIP code, I'll put the spare distributor in, nope, no change, maybe it's the coil, nope didn't help either. Now the only code I was getting was 32, EVP voltage low. Today I started by addressing the code 32, voltage at closed is supposed to be .4v I measured .401v and EVP voltage swept from there to 4.5vdc with vacuum. Then I got my Extech dual trace handheld scope and hooked it to the two injector banks, nice pattern, slight hiccup when the engine cut out. Checked primary side of the coil, same thing. Checked TPS (new Motorcraft) for sweep, good sweep, put the spare MAP sensor on, no change. On a whim I put the manual transmission ECM back in, no more problems, just I can't control the E4OD with it.

It looks like I need an ECM, I think anything up through 95 will work, or at least up to where Ford changed the suppression diode location on the E4OD. Anybody got one?

LxMan1 01-15-2012 11:34 AM

Sounds like you are on the right track. Have you searched the web for a reman unit with your calibration numbers?

85lebaront2 01-15-2012 01:03 PM

460 ECM problem?

Originally Posted by LxMan1 (Post 11287502)
Sounds like you are on the right track. Have you searched the web for a reman unit with your calibration numbers?

Yes, they are few and far between. I would like to find a newer, say 93 or so one with live data capability as the truck is not quite stock. I don't have or need a catalytic converter so exact calibration is not an issue.

LxMan1 01-16-2012 03:29 PM

Good luck in your search.