Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   FACTORY REMOTE START, INCREASE RANGE? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1130264-factory-remote-start-increase-range.html)

Big-Red-Lariat 01-12-2012 05:07 PM

FACTORY REMOTE START, INCREASE RANGE?

Would anyone have any tricks on increasing the range for remote start?
Mine works great from house kitchen window to a detached garage, but would be nice if it would work through the window of a 2nd floor office building to the parking lot below. I see my lights blink when I remote lock the doors from up there, but the start wont catch. Tried a new fob battery---no luck.

Is it possible to add an antenna to the receiver in the truck (&where is the remote start receiver anyway?)
Or maybe a handheld antenna near the fob?

Had a good half inch of freezing rain on the window after work today, & the remote start wouldn't work from the office--kinda useless.:(

kmonty2 01-12-2012 05:13 PM

Try this weird trick, use you body as a antenna. Hold the fob up to your chin, this should increase your range just enough. I know it sounds funny but it works.

Big-Red-Lariat 01-12-2012 06:35 PM

Thanks; heard that chin antenna one before & tried it---still getting only locks working from 2nd floor but starter not working...need a signal booster or antenna(s)??

mattd17 01-15-2012 10:43 AM

What model of RS do you have? Do you have an antenna on your windshield? Is your start button built into the key?

I just installed a 1 way, 200 series starter, and it has a great distance.

I believe that others have upgraded their factory instslled with a better unit. I dont know where the "brains" are from the factory, but adding one after the fact is done behind the glove box, it ties into the TPMS module.

jacknbella 01-15-2012 11:22 AM

The "chin trick" works amazing well...it works even better if you open your mouth really wide. It acts like a satellite dish when you do... I can get about a 150 ft range when doing it this way...

Big-Red-Lariat 01-15-2012 02:21 PM

not sure what the model is; was factory installed and yes the control is built into the integrated key. Works ok in a shopping centre if I am at the door on same level but for some reason it doesn't like operating thru the window of a second floor. (I would have guessed that extra height would give it BETTER range?)
Does anyone know if truck needs a clear line of sight to the remote, and is the receiver in the front or back? Does it use the little black antenna on the roof or is that just for satellite radio or navigation?

mattd17 01-15-2012 04:01 PM

the small black antenna on the roof is for your satellite radio.

the starter units built into the key are only rated for a range of about 33 feet. i have read that others have "upgraded" to get a better range kit. you can unhook yours, and then add the new unit in its place. to get the really good range, you need to get a windshield mounted antenna.

if you go this route, then you will get a seperate FOB to start the truck. some are one way, and some are 2 way (confirms each sucessful start so you know it is running). if you do this, the starter button on your key now will no longer work.

you can get a better unit for about 180-250 dollars. i dont know for sure if your computer would have to be reflashed to talk to the new unit or not though.

Big-Red-Lariat 01-15-2012 06:30 PM

Well that sucks---thought I had the best; genuine FORD remote start built into a genuine FORD integrated key?

greene.phillip 01-17-2012 11:02 PM

I'm new here but maybe this info will help. I bought an 09 recently that had standard keyless entry. I just ordered and received the "Gold" remote start kit (Ford OEM Parts) and it has an antenna in the kit. I'm not sure where it is located exactly on a factory install but there is a seperate antenna in the vehicle somewhere. I left the parts at work so I'll try to remember to check the manual and see where it says to install it. It had a long wire attached so it may be something you can relocate or extend to get a better location for your high level angle. Just a thought.

Part Number: 7L3Z-19G364-AA if you want to search for the manual somehwere.

SteveVFX4 01-18-2012 10:28 AM

^Phillip, the kit you have is slightly different and doesn't apply to the new 2011 models. The 2011 factory system does not have a seperate antenna and I don't think you can add an antenna to it. So people have been getting the new 2011 100 Series or 200 Series factory accessory systems instead which do have separate antenna, just like your "Gold" kit (and old "Bronze" kits) have for the 2010 and earlier trucks.

greene.phillip 01-18-2012 11:12 AM

Well darn, thought I was gonna be helpful :(

Ford8502 01-18-2012 11:55 AM

Did you try to park your truck in different directions and test each way? There is probably one that receives the best bounce compared to other directions.

Big-Red-Lariat 01-18-2012 04:17 PM

yes I tried it frontwards and backwards and neither works from a 2nd floor window---perhaps the industrial glass has some signal inhibiting material within it? The building glass looks sky blue from a distance.

greene.phillip 01-18-2012 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Big-Red-Lariat (Post 11304425)
yes I tried it frontwards and backwards and neither works from a 2nd floor window---perhaps the industrial glass has some signal inhibiting material within it? The building glass looks sky blue from a distance.

I'd say its quite likely it has some sort of metallic based tint that could be causing troubles. If it has a metal frame between the windows you might can hold it against that? Or maybe not...

EdCaffreyMS 01-18-2012 05:19 PM

My Mrs. had a remote start installed on my truck as a Christmas gift. Mine had the exta fob that I had to carry around.....range was terrible. I ordered a key from the dealership with the remote integrated.....MUCH better range.

While I was at the dealership picking up the new key, the service manager said there had been a few folks asking how they could increase the range of their remote start system(s).... he went on to tell me the separate fob has the shortest range, and the key has the longest....but there is no way to increase the range of either beyond what it is. He also explained that range of either is limited as a "safety factor" by Ford.