Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   Air intake question for 6.2 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1130055-air-intake-question-for-6-2-a.html)

rafter3 01-11-2012 07:58 PM

Air intake question for 6.2

I just got a fully loaded King Ranch F250 with the 6.2 V8 and absolutely love it. Has anyone put an air intake system on this system and if so:

How Much did it cost?

How much fuel mileage do you gain?

Does it void the warranty?

Which brand did you get?

kmonty2 01-11-2012 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by rafter3 (Post 11270786)
I just got a fully loaded King Ranch F250 with the 6.2 V8 and absolutely love it. Has anyone put an air intake system on this system and if so:

How Much did it cost? $360

How much fuel mileage do you gain? Nothing noticable, but sounds better.

Does it void the warranty? Not sure, the dealer didn't say anything about it when I had it in for the transmission flash.

Which brand did you get? Airaid, it was the only one out at the time.

I like it, never have to replace the filter, and i got the non-oiled one.

RAPR 01-11-2012 09:26 PM

They only make noise and a waist of money UNLESS you get a tune to take advantage of the additional air. I use to buy CAI for every vehicle I owned, but I learned more about intakes and have since been a little more reserved before making the purchase. Most CAI that are sold are not truly Cold Air Intakes, but in fact Short Ram Air Intakes. True CAI take air from in lower parts of the fenders or in front of the vehicle, where true "cold air" resides. The problem is the intake is ceptable of intaking water if driving through lots of it. RAM intakes use the shortest route to get its air (least amount of flow restriction) but essentially pull in hot "under the hood" air. You may say "it has a heat shield and seals against the hood". Well, that heat shield lasts approximately 5 minutes until it is almost as hot as the engine itself and they usually don't seal against the hood all that well. Once you are going down the highway, fresh air will be more than sufficient to overcome the Heatsoak, but for bumper-to-bumper traffic it will actually give you worse performance.

Another thing, be careful with which filter you go with for your system. Many of these filters, especially K&N, sacrifice the filtration efficiency for increased air flow. Most aftermarket performance filters have poor to moderate filtration efficiency. Many only post their "Coarse" media filter testing result but not the "fine" media results (if they even performed the test at all). The only aftermarket filter I truly trust right now to ensure I get clean air for my engine is AEM Dryflow. It doesn't have as good of flow characteristics as K&N and many others, but it does what a filter is suppose to do....FILTER AIR.

I just figured I would put all this out there so you can make a more informed decision.

BMWBig6 01-12-2012 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by RAPR (Post 11271424)
They only make noise and a waist of money UNLESS you get a tune to take advantage of the additional air. I use to buy CAI for every vehicle I owned, but I learned more about intakes and have since been a little more reserved before making the purchase. Most CAI that are sold are not truly Cold Air Intakes, but in fact Short Ram Air Intakes. True CAI take air from in lower parts of the fenders or in front of the vehicle, where true "cold air" resides. The problem is the intake is ceptable of intaking water if driving through lots of it. RAM intakes use the shortest route to get its air (least amount of flow restriction) but essentially pull in hot "under the hood" air. You may say "it has a heat shield and seals against the hood". Well, that heat shield lasts approximately 5 minutes until it is almost as hot as the engine itself and they usually don't seal against the hood all that well. Once you are going down the highway, fresh air will be more than sufficient to overcome the Heatsoak, but for bumper-to-bumper traffic it will actually give you worse performance.

Another thing, be careful with which filter you go with for your system. Many of these filters, especially K&N, sacrifice the filtration efficiency for increased air flow. Most aftermarket performance filters have poor to moderate filtration efficiency. Many only post their "Coarse" media filter testing result but not the "fine" media results (if they even performed the test at all). The only aftermarket filter I truly trust right now to ensure I get clean air for my engine is AEM Dryflow. It doesn't have as good of flow characteristics as K&N and many others, but it does what a filter is suppose to do....FILTER AIR.

I just figured I would put all this out there so you can make a more informed decision.

Good points. I had a CAI on my Lightnings, but definitely had a custom tune to take advantage of it, and you're going to notice bigger gains with blown applications (vs. normally aspirated) most of the time anyway.

I haven't decided whether or not I want to add one to my 6.2. I look around at the OEM (not aftermarket tuned) ultra-high-performance cars featured in magazines, and they all still use the tried-and-true filter in a box design. This applies whether you're talking about Corvettes, BMW M3's, Porsche 911's or even exotics. The 2013 Shelby GT500 is one of the few exceptions I can think of right now.

Anyway, just make sure you keep your eyes open when doing something like this. OEM engineers generally know what they're doing, and obviously optimize product designs for different trade-offs and you might decide you enjoy more intake noise at the expense of other characteristics.

RAPR 01-13-2012 06:09 PM

There is one cheap (free) mod you can do to your stock intake....I discovered it on the internet a while back but can't find it again to save my life.

The stock airbox has a "snout" that sticks out from the engine bay into the fender, where it pulls in cold outside air. The website showed that you can cut the front side of the snout, converting it into an air scoop. This could provide a ram air effect to your vehicle and doesn't seem to pose any threats of scooping rain water into the engine since it is way up inside the fender. I plan on doing this once my AEM Dryflow filter comes in from Amazon.

biz4two 01-18-2012 03:26 PM

I tend to agree with these comments. Taking it one step further...and adding a free flow exhaust cat-back system.

1. custom tune
2. air intake
3. free flow exhaust

biz
;)

ford390gashog 01-18-2012 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by RAPR (Post 11280144)
There is one cheap (free) mod you can do to your stock intake....I discovered it on the internet a while back but can't find it again to save my life.

The stock airbox has a "snout" that sticks out from the engine bay into the fender, where it pulls in cold outside air. The website showed that you can cut the front side of the snout, converting it into an air scoop. This could provide a ram air effect to your vehicle and doesn't seem to pose any threats of scooping rain water into the engine since it is way up inside the fender. I plan on doing this once my AEM Dryflow filter comes in from Amazon.

It is the "GOTS" mod it involves a 3'' piece of black abs:-jammin

RAPR 01-18-2012 04:59 PM

Actually it isn't the GOTTS mod. That mod refers to replacing a round shaped snout on the airbox inlet....this truck doesn't have that.

I have been searching for DAYS trying to find this posted mod and FINALLY found it :-tap. I can't believe it was posted on this section of this very forum by none other than the sponser 5StarTuning. Talk about "if it was a snake, I would have gotten bit":eek:! This is the mod I was talking about. I probably plan on doing this to my truck this weekend, if I have time.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...er-duty-2.html

I've also ordered an Ultra-Gauge that should be delivered by this weekend. This will allow me to see if there really is an increase in air flow with cutting the intake snout. Once my AEM DryFlow replacement filter comes in, I'll be able to check out the difference again!:-X24