Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Should I buy a 6.0 powerstroke? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1130006-should-i-buy-a-6-0-powerstroke.html)

dahoserman 01-11-2012 05:42 PM

Should I buy a 6.0 powerstroke?

Hello my name is Jeff and I want to buy a 2006 F-350 FX4 crew cab 4x4,with the 6.0 powerstroke it has approx 152,000 miles it looks like new inside and out i'm going to take it for a ride on Sat.I stopped by the dealer today and got a oasis report and it came back pretty clean they replaced the #6 injector,left valve cover,water seperator manifold.It also states that it had a hard starting issue hot and cold they hot leak tested high pressure system and found a failed high pressure oil fitting and that is all I know about it the repairs were between 85,000 and 98,000 miles. I know that your not sychic but the truck has every option you can think of and if it runs and drives good do you think it would be a good buy they want $17,000 for it.It's just the bad reputation that the 6.0 has that is making me nervous but most diesels will run forever just asking for everyones opinion.Thanks Jeff :-drink

jkudera 01-11-2012 05:45 PM

well its hit and miss with them. sounds like there was some work done to it just like almost every 6.0

wulfman 01-11-2012 05:48 PM

Jeff welcome to FTE if you really want a 6.0 then go buy a scangauge 2 and program the 6.0 x codes in it and go shopping it will tell you what is going on in the motor. and once you buy your truck you will need it anyway.

dahoserman 01-11-2012 06:06 PM

Will the scan guage tell anything if the check engine light isn't on? And also I live in New York where they test for emmisions what are the best mods to do?

69cj 01-11-2012 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by dahoserman (Post 11270217)
Will the scan guage tell anything if the check engine light isn't on? And also I live in New York where they test for emmisions what are the best mods to do?

Coolant and p.s. filters. Leave the rest stock including the intake and use only OEM filters. 6.0 is a good platform but demands regular maintenance. No skimping. If you plan on using it as a grocery getter, get a gasser. They need to be worked. They love it.

wallace32 01-11-2012 06:38 PM

Hi Jeff. I would recommend looking into the Tech Folder at the begining of the forum. This will give you an ideal of some of the issues and the fixes. As well as some base line numbers if you chose to buy the Scan Gauge. Will help with some of the numbers you should be looking at. Goodluck and welcome to FTE.

dlibson 01-11-2012 07:45 PM

Welcome to FTE!

Don't be worried about the 6.0 rep. It's really a good reliable motor. You do have to be religious about maintenance though. Oil changes and fuel filters every 5k. The truck sounds like a good enough deal for what it is. I'd advise having it checked out at another shop for things like brakes, ball joints, and the like first as well...

dahoserman 01-11-2012 08:11 PM

It's a beautiful truck but I guess I'll just have to roll the dice.All I know is everywhere I go there is a lot of them out rolling around so they all can't be bad.

Jakebrake 01-11-2012 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by wulfman (Post 11270100)
Jeff welcome to FTE if you really want a 6.0 then go buy a scangauge 2 and program the 6.0 x codes in it and go shopping it will tell you what is going on in the motor. and once you buy your truck you will need it anyway.

x2. That is some good advice...get something to monitor engine vital signs!

Jakebrake 01-11-2012 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by 69cj (Post 11270246)
Coolant and p.s. filters. Leave the rest stock including the intake and use only OEM filters. 6.0 is a good platform but demands regular maintenance. No skimping. If you plan on using it as a grocery getter, get a gasser. They need to be worked. They love it.

x2. More good advice! Also as prviously mentioned...READ the tech folder. Also...find a good 6.0 mechanic and invest $100 in letting him look the thing over top to bottom...drivetrain, chassis, brakes, suspension, etc. It will be money well spent and I have never had a dealer object to this! Post in the state chapter where you live and you will probably get a recommedation for a known 6.0 mechanic who is good at his trade! Good luck!

egregg57 01-11-2012 10:18 PM

I agree with most of what has been said. The 6.0L likes to be payed attention to and "played" with.

Asking before buying is a good idea. You're armed with some information you may not have known otherwise.

The HPOP has been taken care of, by the sound of it, I would be looking to find out what the delta is between the EOT/ECT (Oil and coolant temps) to make sure you are not going to have an Oil/EGR cooler issue.

Installation of a Coolant filter to help protect the sytem and definately, most assuradly get a set of gauges. Edge, Scanguage, Pillar mounted peanut gauges, what have you.

I use 5W-40 Rotella T-6 and I can't say enough on how well the truck runs and starts even in cold weather. I stick to the 5K oil change, 10K fuel filter change schedule.

Use only the proper filters, fluids, etc. I use strictly motorcraft oil/fuel filters, Diesel Clean summer and winter formulas with the appropriate season.

Another benefit is most everything that can happen with this vehicles engine has been hit on in this forum. There arent many mysteries left. So if you get into a jam, you have help.

Had I known about this site before I bought my 2005 F-350 in 2010 I would have check some particulars and probably would have the dealer look into issues that I am sure were there. I just did not know it.

So far I have changed (with labor costs included) the EGR Valve, ($250) EGR Cooler / Oil Cooler ($2500), and HPOP STC Fitting ($899). The EGR/Oil Cooler requires a pretty invasive tear down of the engine. The STC fitting also is labor intensive the part is relatively cheap, unfortunately!

I more than likely would have been able to see a delta between the oil and coolant temps with a gauge and had that fixed by the dealer at no cost to me. The HPOP, that one isn't so easy to diagnose unless you are looking specifically for it and monitoring specific pressures, or you start having hot no-start issues.

In the end, if I had to go back and buy the truck again, I would, in a heart beat.

I have to be honest, I love that truck. But I know she's a jealous and posessive woman that likes to be paid attention to and taken care of (What woman doesn't!?). If taken care of properly she'll perform for you and put a grin on your face everytime you tap the accelerator.

You have gotten some clear sound advice in this thread. Should you take and apply it, you'll be very happy I am sure.

Eric

zhilton 01-12-2012 05:34 AM

Welcome to FTE, you in the right place to learn just about everything there is to know about the 6.0L. The price is something you'll have to compair to what others like it are going for around you. Might talk to your insurance agent, they usually know what the fair market value for autos/trucks are since most insurance companies pay off on market value (usually within 30-50 of a zip code, depending on company). The high pressure oil fitting was more than likely the STC; but would have to see the Oasis to know for a fact (assuming the part number is listed). Not sure if you want to shell out the $130-$160 for a ScanGauge...but you might check in your state's FTE chapter and see if there is someone near you that might have a ScanGauge. Or even better an AutoEnginuty.

New York Chapter
New York Chapter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Chapter leader
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Profile: tiny1

Originally Posted by dlibson (Post 11270722)
You do have to be religious about maintenance though. Oil changes and fuel filters every 5k.

You don't have to replace the fuel filters at every oil change (5k miles). Changing 'em at 10k miles...every other oil change is quite acceptable. I've been doing that with my truck for the last 80k miles with no issues.

dlibson 01-13-2012 06:24 AM

True, you don't have to Zhilton. But it's cheap insurance to me, so WTH.

69cj 01-13-2012 09:03 AM

15 grand motor vrs. 20 buck filter. No skimping like that on my truck.

Chad01 05-04-2017 10:20 AM

Curious

I'm curious...how did the 6.0 work out for ya?