Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   Tire Pressure Sensor Fault (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1129857-tire-pressure-sensor-fault.html)

aquaman 01-11-2012 01:24 AM

Tire Pressure Sensor Fault

I've been getting this warning intermittently for the past couple of days. 3 months ago, I got a false alarm for low tire pressure.

Is there a way to see which tire is complaining? Do I need to retrain the wheels? I rotated them 10K miles ago, but all 4 are at 75psi so there should not be any complaints.

Or is this something only the dealer can fix?

senix 01-11-2012 07:13 AM

To the best of my knowledge you cannot tell which one.

Perhaps a tire shop could tell?

Harley250SD 01-11-2012 08:34 AM

I'm running at 55 lbs a tire and just had the sensor light go one a few days ago as well and stay on. What is the proper pressure for normal driving? (without load)

senix 01-11-2012 09:11 AM

door cert label will have it..but mine says 65 psi.

keep in mind that is min...max will be on your tires.

Also the lower the pressure the more rolling resistance you have. Maybe a better ride but also less hauling capacity too.

Higher loads then you need to increase the air pressure.

I run all mine at 80 psi.

smcnulty 01-11-2012 03:50 PM

check the spear tire I had low pressure in the spear
and it set off the light

Tom 01-11-2012 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by smcnulty (Post 11269608)
check the spear tire I had low pressure in the spear
and it set off the light

This doesn't sound right to me, as there is no TPMS sensor in a factory spare tire. Did someone swap a factory rim into your spare position?

aquaman 01-13-2012 11:33 PM

Got the truck back from the dealer. They scanned everything and no trouble or stored PIDS found. Weird since I thought there was some counter that stored how many miles since the last fault or something.

They reset my tire pressures back to 65psi in front and 80psi in the rear and then retrained the sensors. I had all 4 set at 75psi earlier.

What's not clear to me is why that would fix a "tire pressure sensor fault". If my tires were low or too high, it'd make more sense to say tire pressure 'low' or 'high' instead of 'fault'

I guess I'll keep an eye on this. I asked the service adviser what happens if I have the same problem after my 3/36 expires. It sounded like they'd still fix it at no charge since I complained about it already

BTW, I've been driving without my spare for a long time. No issues. It's sitting under my workbench in my garage. When my wife drives without her spare, her car is expecting the 5th sensor and complains accordingly.

senix 01-14-2012 06:50 AM

gotta ask...why no spare?

aquaman 01-14-2012 10:34 PM

It's 125-150 fewer pounds of mass I have spend fuel on accelerating around town :-) Probably doesn't make much difference in the truck, but for sure my wife says without her spare, she feels a big difference in her car, as if she got a few extra HP.

In the past 25yrs, I've yet to need my spare tire(s)...knocking on lots of wood. The few times I've had nails/screws in my tires, I just drove it like for a short distance until I could get it fixed. If I'm going on a cross-state trip, the spare goes back in.

senix 01-15-2012 07:22 AM

seems around here alot of peopl emply that spare tire removal. I usually drive by them on the side of the road waiting on a jack or on the cell phone.

Neil64 01-16-2012 03:26 AM

Air Pressure

I keep 60 in front and 50-55 in the rear in my factory 20s with Goodyear Wrangler AT/S'. They seem to wearing OK and I rarely haul anything with any weight. When the snowplow goes on, the front go to 80psi and the rear to 65psi with a bed load of old wheels and tires for ballast. For you folks that run 65 or 85 psi empty, are your tires wearing evenly?

senix 01-16-2012 05:15 AM

Mine are at 80 and wear just fine.

slowmans 01-16-2012 06:36 AM

I know a lot of people don't, but you SHOULD keep your tires at max. I was told this by the gentleman who is a tire distributer and changes our tires on our fleet trucks at work. That being said I keep mine at 72 all around and max is 80.

Enviroguy 08-07-2013 12:16 AM

Tire Pressure Sensor Fault

Ok so I spent 6hrs at the dealership today :-arrgh trouble shooting my "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" on my brand new F-250 Platinum Super Duty I spent way to much on. What we've come to conclude is, the module that receives or controls the receiver for the tire sensors, also controls the receiver for the remote keyless entry. It gets radio frequency interference or RFI from various apple products and motorola gadgets that may be plugged into any outlet in the truck (including the USB's in the dash) getting juice. Ford motor company only indicates that "some" electronic devices that are being charged in the vehicle "may" cause RF interference to the TPMS module. The dealership basically said, "don't charge anything in the vehicle" which leaves me wondering why the heck they even bothered putting outlets in the truck to begin with :-arrgh.

I've noticed that when my "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" message comes on, my truck is nearly impossible to remote start/lock/unlock/panic unless I'm literally within a 12' radius of the truck. After unplugging my iPad, my key fob miraculously started working properly. I'm hoping to figure out how to shield the "module" in the passenger door frame/toe kick so that I can charge my phone, iPod, iPad, and cellular booster since my truck is my office.

So far, my plan is to line the cover panel with some foil and grounding it out, kind of like shielding an electric guitar pick up. If anyone else has any ideas, I'd really appreciate some serious input :-drink.

Thanks.

datsmoke 08-07-2013 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy001 (Post 11270214)
This doesn't sound right to me, as there is no TPMS sensor in a factory spare tire. Did someone swap a factory rim into your spare position?

i dont know about that specific vehicle but some cars do have a tpms sensor in the spare tire