Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   Block heater not working... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1128088-block-heater-not-working.html)

FarmBoyFords 01-04-2012 03:38 PM

Block heater not working...

Ok so I plugged my truck in last night to see if the block heater was working and it's not. I checked the cable back to the block and it's good and it's plugged in... Is there a fuse to this I lost my Manuel so I have no way of checking it... Any suggestions???

bashby 01-04-2012 04:41 PM

No fuse, just the 120v cord. If you're sure the cord is good then its gotta be the heater. You could check for continuity at the heater also.

tjc transport 01-04-2012 04:41 PM

you checked the cord visually or with a volt meter?

FarmBoyFords 01-04-2012 06:41 PM

Visibly... Should I plug it in an then check it at the block?

tjc transport 01-04-2012 06:47 PM

yup. about 90% of the time the break in the wire is at the plug.
on my 88 i have shortened the wire to replaced the plug 5 times over the past 23 years. it is now plugged into a surge protector on the passenger fender because the wire is so short it will not reach outside. i use the wire from the surge protector to go through the grill. this also gives me multiple outlets under the hood so i have a place to plug the battery maintainer in and trickle charge the batteries while the block heater is working.

FORDF250HDXLT 01-04-2012 06:48 PM

you need a block heater in Texas?
if your having issues with starting,did you test the GP system yet?
you should have instant,within the second starts with just gp's.

FarmBoyFords 01-04-2012 06:54 PM

It was starting just fine until last night. I have a glow plug or plugs that went bad. I need to replace them but can't until this weekend... If I knew of a easy way to get it started then I'd do it until this weekend and plugging it in at night seems best.

vfelix702 01-04-2012 07:03 PM

The best way is to ohm them element out and see if you have continity probe hot to nuetral and see if it ohms out if it does not then (A) you have a open wire either at the plug or (B) the element is open internally not completeing the loop...

FORDF250HDXLT 01-04-2012 07:41 PM

for the next couple of days,grab yourself a gallon of gas,a rag,and some rubber gloves.
damp the rag with the gas with your gloves on,remove the air cleaner lid,and set the rag over the intake opening. she should fire right up with the help from the gas fumes.
it's not ideal,but you only need a couple more days to make it to the weekend to replace your GP's.if your careful,you won't smell like gas when you get to work either lol.

better still,since the truck is obviously parked where an extension cord reaches.grab yourself a hair dyer and let this blow down the intake for 5 mins.this will get you buy for the next couple days too and a lot less messy.

depending on where she's parked at work,will help determine which temp starting aid you bring with you.

FarmBoyFords 01-04-2012 08:21 PM

Thanks for the ideas but I'm good on the whole gas and rag idea and I'm afraid if the wife found out I was using her hair dryer to crank the truck she would shoot me... What about WD-40? Will that help any? I'm about to go change the plug on the cord and see if that works...

IDI guy 01-05-2012 04:43 AM

If you are going to replace the gp's anyway just use starting fluid.

IDI guy 01-05-2012 04:45 AM

Starting fluid burns out glow plugs.

tecgod13 01-05-2012 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by IDI guy (Post 11239795)
If you are going to replace the gp's anyway just use starting fluid.

Originally Posted by IDI guy (Post 11239797)
Starting fluid burns out glow plugs.

NO!!!!!

Starting fluid does not burn out glow plugs. Starting fluid violently ignites when it reaches the glow plugs. Since this happens while the intake air is being compressed, and before ignition is supposed to happen, starting fluid has a tendency to bend rods and wreck engines.

IDI guy 01-05-2012 06:10 AM

Hmm I've never heard that before but it makes sense

IDI guy 01-05-2012 06:16 AM

What if you we're to un plug your glow plugs before using it?