Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   tailgate help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1126358-tailgate-help.html)

ford1977owner 12-29-2011 12:45 AM

tailgate help

soon going to be tackling the tailgate, when i use the button up front it works to go down, but to put it up u have to push the tailgate to make it go up, anything help on this?

g_k50 12-29-2011 01:29 AM

I would start with the rubber weatherstrip that the window rides up into. Is it been maintained? It needs silicone lube.

Then look at the latches, there's a safety the prevents the window from going up if the tailgate is not fully closed. I check it by lowering the tailgate and closeing the latches and check the window operation at the tailgate. Just check it, don't roll it all the way out. Troubleshoot as necessary.

I did this to my 1990 and finally it quit altogether, replaced the motor with a junkyard replacement and that one failed the next year, took it apart and replaced the gears with new ones from Ford, works beautifully now, good for another 150,000 miles.

ford1977owner 12-29-2011 02:05 AM

weatherstripping seems fine, i just bought it a few months ago, so not sure how the P.O maintained it, but its just weird that it goes down normally but only goes up about halfway then someone has to push in on the gate to help it go up the rest of the way, maybe once i take the panel off and get inside ill find out the problem just seeing if anyone else had a similar problem, thanks for the input

b4hntn 12-29-2011 06:31 AM

Going up half way sounds like the weather stripping and glass channels need the Dry Lube spray can or possibly misalignment. If you lube the track below the glass avoid dust magnets like WD-40.

Edgethis 12-29-2011 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by b4hntn (Post 11209937)
Going up half way sounds like the weather stripping and glass channels need the Dry Lube spray can or possibly misalignment. If you lube the track below the glass avoid dust magnets like WD-40.

+1 :) Definately sounds like the weatherstripping could either used replaced or conditioned. Also make sure the top itself is bolted down tight, that may casue some window issues. Check around where the tailgate closes and make sure everything is tight also.

deadeyedevon 12-29-2011 10:06 AM

second all the above comments, I pull the back panel off mine once a year and lube all the the gears and slides. Right now mine is doing the same exact thing,im just waiting for a warmer day to fix it up.

Ive always used WD40, never thought of the dust magnet issue. What lube would work better?

Edgethis 12-29-2011 10:33 AM

I just throw some bearing grease on there.

deadeyedevon 12-29-2011 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Edgethis (Post 11210797)
I just throw some bearing grease on there.

thats gotta last longer than WD40,good thinkin

b4hntn 12-29-2011 11:48 AM

IIRC Greystreak's mixture is graphite and 3 in 1 oil.

ford1977owner 12-30-2011 04:48 PM

well since everyones saying about the weatherstripping ill wait and try it when i put my new cap on, i got it off a bronco that was well maintained but was in an accident, so everything on the parts one is in excellent condition, ill keep you guys posted, thanks