Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   headlight switch problems- on f450 superduty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1126261-headlight-switch-problems-on-f450-superduty.html)

bullit340 12-28-2011 05:11 PM

headlight switch problems- on f450 superduty

I know that its common for the headlight switches to overheat and after replacing mine I have noticed that the harness got too hot as well as the back of the fuse block. Is there anyone who does an upgraded aftermarket harness for these trucks?

Truck is a 95 superduty(450) with a 7.3
Ford has discontinued the harness

FORDF250HDXLT 12-28-2011 05:37 PM

Whiter Whites, Brighter Brights .: Articles

Edgethis 12-28-2011 07:14 PM

RJM Injection Tech — Headlight Harness

Here you go.

bullit340 01-02-2012 08:58 AM

thanks for the links, but I do have another question re the harness part number. My mechanic took the dash apart and wont do any aftermarket repairs, he only will repair it with another ford harness due to liability issues. I had a 97 harness but it had a few extra pins in the main computer plug. I am told any 94-95-96 harness from a 7.3 will work but 97 wont. Is there any truth to this?

My existing harness part number is F5TB 14401 E77825G-EN
Have a line on another one but part number is F5TB 14401 (remaining numbers are different)

I am wondering if this harness will work and if the remaining numbers on the tag are just specific to that trucks vin or serial number? Any help is greatly appreciated

Edgethis 01-02-2012 10:16 AM

If the part number is different it will be different somehow. Maybe have an extra sensor or missing one you need. That's if its even close...F5TB is prolly the year code and 14401the is prolly just a code for wire harness (if that). I think you'll need the exact part number to be safe.

cj06 01-02-2012 11:22 AM

if that mechanic wont fix the thing with a aftermarket harness witch is a lot better than the factory one then you need to tell him to take flying leap and go find some one that will do it right !

bullit340 01-02-2012 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by cj06 (Post 11227838)
if that mechanic wont fix the thing with a aftermarket harness witch is a lot better than the factory one then you need to tell him to take flying leap and go find some one that will do it right !

I keep getting different stories from different people as to how this repair can be done. I have never gotten anything but good advice from this forum so I am sure there are some here that have done this type of repair.
I might end up having to do it myself. He took the whole dash out etc and found out that there was a difference in pins from the original harness with the one that we thought would work. I wish I had known that it wouldn't work before he took the dash out. Now he wont do any repairs except replace the harness with the exact one that is in there. Thats nice since ford no longer makes that harness with that exact number. Now I will end up getting my truck back in pieces. Hopefully I get them all.

The headlight switch got hot and cooked the backside of the switch plug. And the fuse pannel where the flasher plugs in melted as well. Aside from that the harness seems fine. 40k mile 7.3 F450 way too much life left to give up on this truck

FORDF250HDXLT 01-02-2012 06:38 PM

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-upgrade.html

Originally Posted by bullit340 (Post 11229265)
40k mile 7.3 F450 way too much life left to give up on this truck

yeah,that's new old stock.them things have been reported to go well over a half million miles (yes literally) before being scraped.
time to learn more about the basics of the truck,and perhaps pickup some more tools.there isn't much the average joe can't handle for maintenance or repairs on their own for these old trucks.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/

oh.fyi:
Duralast/Headlight Switch Connector
Part Number: 262

from autozone.
this is the one i used when replacing my switch.i saw mine was burning up too.
direct replacement.hassle free.cut and crimp new connector on and done.

cj06 01-02-2012 07:03 PM

every ford that i own did the same thing and i just wired up some heavy duty push N pull switches for the headlights and running lights and have never had any problems since !
COLE HERSEE #
50088 Headlamp Switch
Extra Heavy-duty: SPST
Off - On, normally Off. 30A at
12V DC, 6-36V DC. Energizes
two circuits simultaneously
from a common feed for headlamps
and taillamps. Brass mounting
stem, 7/16" -28 thread. 5/16" (7.9mm) long.
Black plastic knob, 10-32 thread with set screw.
Zinc housing. Silver contacts. Sealed with a gasket under
the terminal insulator. Mounting hardware included.

tjc transport 01-03-2012 09:07 AM

the stock ford switch and harness burned up in my 88 in 92. i replaced both with parts from napa. and it has been fine since then.

bullit340 01-18-2012 08:43 PM

I am still having problems with my headlights, I know you guys gave me some good info but I am not great with electrical, and I will upgrade later. For now I am not really looking to upgrade my lights just trying to get the stock stuff to work as it should. Trying to figure out how this system works. What is going on is this-

If I pull the headlight switch out 1 click to the running lamps position, they do not come on. If I pull the switch out another click (all the way out)to the headlight/running lamp position, only the headlights come on, BUT if I push the switch back in between positon 1 and 2 I can get the running lamps to come on and the headlights to stay on as well. Works fine until driving down the road and the vibrations make it malfunction.

After removing the headlight switch there is a pin on the harness plug that is a little brown discolored, but the plug is not melted and the wires look fine. The discolored pin is in the middle of the plug with a brown/with white stripe wire. I was told this wire runs the running lite portion of the switch but they still work the same even if I disconnect this wire. I bought a new upgraded plug from Ford and replaced the old one with the upgraded one, as well as a new headlight switch. Still having the same problem.

After removing the dash harness the only other problem I see is the backside of the flasher on the fusebox got real hot and melted. There are two wires that go into that portion of the fuse box that cooked. My flasher do not work they just stay solid if you turn them on. I am not if these two wires go to the steering column yet. I am thinking they do. These wires are not brown /white stripe, so I do not think this is the cause of my headlight problem. I took pics but still trying to figure how to post them. Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially since all my mechanics dont seem to have a clue how to fix this problem.

danr1 01-18-2012 09:00 PM

Upload your pictures to a free hosting site like "Photobucket" for example but there are others.

Then simply copy and paste the images URL (IMG code) into your post and they'll appear in the thread/post. There will be options under the picture in your album, that is where you will get the IMG code.

Do so for every picture you wish to post, each picture you upload will have its own URL.

Midnite1987 01-18-2012 09:48 PM

My 92 had the same problem. Just replace the switch and it fixed it.

Midnite1987 01-18-2012 09:50 PM

I believe the park lights are the solid brown wire

FORDF250HDXLT 01-18-2012 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by bullit340 (Post 11305778)
I am still having problems with my headlights, I know you guys gave me some good info but I am not great with electrical, and I will upgrade later. For now I am not really looking to upgrade my lights just trying to get the stock stuff to work as it should. Trying to figure out how this system works. What is going on is this-

If I pull the headlight switch out 1 click to the running lamps position, they do not come on. If I pull the switch out another click (all the way out)to the headlight/running lamp position, only the headlights come on, BUT if I push the switch back in between positon 1 and 2 I can get the running lamps to come on and the headlights to stay on as well. Works fine until driving down the road and the vibrations make it malfunction.

After removing the headlight switch there is a pin on the harness plug that is a little brown discolored, but the plug is not melted and the wires look fine. The discolored pin is in the middle of the plug with a brown/with white stripe wire. I was told this wire runs the running lite portion of the switch but they still work the same even if I disconnect this wire. I bought a new upgraded plug from Ford and replaced the old one with the upgraded one, as well as a new headlight switch. Still having the same problem.

After removing the dash harness the only other problem I see is the backside of the flasher on the fusebox got real hot and melted. There are two wires that go into that portion of the fuse box that cooked. My flasher do not work they just stay solid if you turn them on. I am not if these two wires go to the steering column yet. I am thinking they do. These wires are not brown /white stripe, so I do not think this is the cause of my headlight problem. I took pics but still trying to figure how to post them. Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially since all my mechanics dont seem to have a clue how to fix this problem.

whats year is this truck?
you may want to check out your multiswitch.