Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Windshield cracked (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1122348-windshield-cracked.html)

ruschejj 12-12-2011 03:51 PM

Windshield cracked

My windshield is cracked, about a 16" crack, so I need a new one.

Any input from y'all? Company or brand to avoid? Who's the best? What to watch for?

I just want the experience to go smoothly and everything to be right. I live in a state where insurance is mandated to cover windshield glass 100% so I have no issue with bang for the buck.

Thanks. Hope everyone is having a good Dec. and holiday season!

Hdslider 12-12-2011 03:58 PM

I have personally stuck with Carlite.

EpicCowlick 12-12-2011 04:46 PM

I just replaced the windshield in my wife's Mazda with a Pilkington windshield. I'm particular about them and sent the Safelite glass guy away when he arrived with no-name glass with waves in it. It didn't cost any more than the no-name, I just had to ask for it. There are few things that bug me as much as looking through a wavy windshield going down the road.

senix 12-12-2011 05:19 PM

safelite...and they come to you.

RM2738 12-12-2011 06:53 PM

If you were in Texas, I'd refer to you Milstead Glass. The BEST! As far as a nationwide company, I've used Safelite once and was pleased.

Painted Horse 12-12-2011 06:55 PM

I caught a rock 10 days after I bought my truck. Since fall/winter was coming, I lived with it all winter and this spring got mine replaced.. I'm pretty sure it was the Pilkington brand. My window guy knows I want the actual Ford replacement windshield and not some chinese glass. I want the SUPERDUTY across the sunshade portion of the windshield just like the factory glass.

fatboydiesel 12-12-2011 07:05 PM

I picked my truck up 12-30-10. Took it to get windows tinted on 12-31-10. Told them I wanted a strip of tint on top of windshield. Guy didn't have tool to take mirror off. I told him no problem don't worry about it. Another
guy in the shop said " I can get it" with a screw driver. I
watched and saw where this was going. Told him your gonna break my windshield... Sure enough he got the mirror off, with a chunk of my glass.. Told him make sure it gets replaced with OEM and it better say SUPERDUTY up top...

CascadeF250 12-12-2011 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by ruschejj (Post 11145595)
My windshield is cracked, about a 16" crack, so I need a new one.

Any input from y'all? Company or brand to avoid? Who's the best? What to watch for?

I just want the experience to go smoothly and everything to be right. I live in a state where insurance is mandated to cover windshield glass 100% so I have no issue with bang for the buck.

Thanks. Hope everyone is having a good Dec. and holiday season!

Sorry for your cracked window. I just had to replace mine about 2 months ago. The insurance company recommended Safelite so I used them. They came to my home and replaced my window with a Ford OEM window. Service was good and window is good. My truck was less than a year old and this was the first window I have ever replaced by a insurance claim. I hope your experience with window replacement goes as well as mine did.:):)

ruschejj 12-13-2011 06:38 AM

Thanks to all of you. I plan on going to the dealer this morning to check on their procedure, sticking with CarLite seems to be a good idea, then it will be SafeLite if the dealer process is too slow.

I will be sure to demand OEM glass. Last time I had to replace a windshield it was on a 2000 Silverado 2500HD that I had. I had no problems with Safelite doing that truck but I also did not really care that much about the truck. This one's different.

doczenith1 12-13-2011 04:18 PM

When my 2002 needed a new windshield I insisted they use the OEM carlite. Also, I've heard others say that you don't want them to come to you to replace the windshield because they only send one person and the windshield is too big for a one-man job. You're better off taking the truck to their shop which is what I did and I was very pleased with the job that the local shop did. The irony of it is that I too just caught a stone in my 2011 and really am not looking forward to having to replace the one year old glass. My fingers are crossed that the chip won't run. That said, does having the chip filled really reduce the chances of a crack developing?

Chad149 12-13-2011 11:51 PM

It depends on the glass company. Our guys that we use at my dealer send a two man crew without exception, but they are a local company and some insurance companys won't accept them because they charge too much-but never had to have them comeback for rework. Make sure they use OEM glass.

dschuffert 12-14-2011 05:11 AM

I had to replace the windshield on my previous F250. I used Safelite and was very pleased with the product and service.

ruschejj 12-14-2011 02:47 PM

Conclusion to the situation: I went with safelite, they did a great job, replaced my original windshield with an identical Carlite with the ford logo and super duty logo on top with the identical tinting along the top. Truck is just like new and the windshield is really nice. It's amazing how hazy windshields get over time from road dust and whatever degrades them. The new one is so clean it makes me feel as though I could put my hand through it, like it's not even there.

2000silverbullet 12-14-2011 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by ruschejj (Post 11153864)
The new one is so clean it makes me feel as though I could put my hand through it, like it's not even there.

You confirmed it's actually there though right? (RE: scene in Gung Ho where Michael Keaton is pretending to scratch something off the windshield of a car that doesn't have one..) :-X04

ruschejj 12-15-2011 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet (Post 11154192)
You confirmed it's actually there though right? (RE: scene in Gung Ho where Michael Keaton is pretending to scratch something off the windshield of a car that doesn't have one..) :-X04

Very funny. I will check this morning! I had the guy leave the wiper arms off so that I could get new wiper blades, so it could be a problem if there is no glass.....