Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   HELP - Clunking in 4 wheel drive in 2007 FX4 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1120780-help-clunking-in-4-wheel-drive-in-2007-fx4.html)

geostone 12-06-2011 01:54 PM

HELP - Clunking in 4 wheel drive in 2007 FX4

There is a clunking sound and feel from the front end of my 2007 Ranger FX4 when in 4 wheel drive. This happens sometimes but not always on engaging or disengaging 4 wheel drive, as well as sporadically while driving along. I took it back to Ford on warranty with this problem last year, and after a few attempts I had them admit that something was wrong and they finally diagnosed that it was the front drive shaft that was binding where it leaves the transfer case, this was replaced. I have now put maybe 50km (max) on in 4 wheel drive and the problem is back, I don't think the problem was ever fixed. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Dutter 12-06-2011 07:41 PM

what do you do to make it clunk, sometimes you brake shoes will move back and forth in the caliper iv had that happen

geostone 12-06-2011 09:03 PM

It sometimes but not always clunks when going in or out of 4by, also when just driving along straight, but only in four wheel drive, it can clunk about every 10 to 30 seconds. The faster I'm going to more impact there is.

Dutter 12-06-2011 10:47 PM

hmmm sound like there not fully unlocking, or a hub got broke. But to break a hub you would of had to been doing some hard wheeling. So what id do is put the truck up on jack stands when you take it out of 4x4, And start spining the tires by hand and try to find the sound. What im thinking is that, its a hub or the T cast not fully unlocking. But that just my guess

reddog99 12-08-2011 12:43 PM

Dutter, these models don't have locking hubs.

My vote goes to a bad CV joint on one of the half-shafts....

Dutter 12-08-2011 04:29 PM

Ok then maybe the T case isnt unlocking, But i agree it very well could be the CV

geostone 12-08-2011 04:55 PM

Yeah from what I can feel it is probably the Tcase, I've had bad cvs in another truck before and it doesnt feel like this, that was more on turning and even in two wheel drive, this is strictly in 4wheel and often when engaging or disengaging. Sometimes after I click out of 4 wheel there is a few second delay and then the final clunk comes and I can feel it has actually popped out.

reddog99 12-08-2011 07:40 PM

The clunking going in and out of 4-Low is normal, but it should be nearly undetectable when shifting into 4-High. Clunking while driving is no-good either. Have you checked the transfer case oil level? (grasping at straws here).

Dutter 12-08-2011 10:21 PM

Yeah check the oil, it should take ATF, now iv herd that if you tap the little electric motor on the T case with a hammer itll get that motor to turn the Tcase into 4 and 4low easier. And if that dosnt do it, try taking it off and cleaning out the motor with electronic cleaner spay. And thats assuming that you have a push button 4x4 like me. So try those ideas and get back to me :-X22

grandmas77f150 12-08-2011 10:25 PM

Wait, do you still have the warranty? If you do, take it to them

reddog99 12-09-2011 12:36 PM

I assume that it's off warranty now, but you had it in and worked on under warranty for this issue last year, and it was never actually repaired. Take it back in and see if you can get them to complete the repair under warranty.

tjbushey 06-08-2012 06:25 PM

Hey there wondering if you found out what it is ? i have the Exact same problem with my truck and being trying to figure out, ive replaced both cvs as well cause i thought that was the problem but i still have it... ive checked all Fluids as well and electrical connections.

Bruker 06-08-2012 08:11 PM

^I don't know if you've checked but a dry slip-yoke will cause a "clunk".

gridleak 09-27-2012 08:47 AM

Hi all,

I have the same issues with my 2006 Ranger. But mine feels and sounds like it comes from the behind me. No clunking when going into and out of 4 wheel drive. Only when driving.
Sounds like something is gonna snap each time it does it. Checked everything external with no luck. Looks like I need to start taking things apart and looking.

cpb2.3 10-01-2012 06:35 AM

sounds to me like the chain in the transfer case is stretched and slipping