Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   Independent REAR Susp. in my truck??? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1120259-independent-rear-susp-in-my-truck.html)

fast58 12-04-2011 02:37 PM

Independent REAR Susp. in my truck???

I've started another thread about a Crown Victoria IFS swap I am getting ready to do and elgemcdlf(elder user) posted a pic of a Lincoln Mark VII IRS under his truck. I'm just curious if anybody has done this swap and if so how difficult is it? What are the pros and cons? How will the IRS hold up to a built 360 W (351 W bored .030 over)? And how does this suspension ride compare to the traditional solid rear axle setup? Thank ya'll in advance for your input.

kg6tai 01-22-2015 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by fast58 (Post 11113086)
I've started another thread about a Crown Victoria IFS swap I am getting ready to do and elgemcdlf(elder user) posted a pic of a Lincoln Mark VII IRS under his truck. I'm just curious if anybody has done this swap and if so how difficult is it? What are the pros and cons? How will the IRS hold up to a built 360 W (351 W bored .030 over)? And how does this suspension ride compare to the traditional solid rear axle setup? Thank ya'll in advance for your input.

It's not to difficult to do there is a company that makes a kit for it I just did one in mine without a kit can't tell you how the ride is as mine is at the body off the frame stage.

DeadPhish 01-23-2015 10:48 AM

I am actually getting ready to start mine this afternoon, I ordered a kit from truckirs.com team321 I will take some pictures and try and see if I can help you out. I do know the kit does not include the 2x2 section of square tubing so I am off to pick a piece up. Will probably get a few sections of thread all his instructions do not say to use it, but he does is all of the install pictures he has on his website.

kg6tai 01-23-2015 12:37 PM

Fuel tank with thunderchicken IRS

Only prob I am seeing with the IRS install is the amount of space it takes in the rear of the truck where a fuel tank could possibly go Does anyone have any Ideas on a tank or placement?
Inside the cab is not an option for me as I am thinking about running this on a road race course and do not want a bath in gas :-hair

DeadPhish 01-27-2015 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by kg6tai (Post 15021527)
Only prob I am seeing with the IRS install is the amount of space it takes in the rear of the truck where a fuel tank could possibly go Does anyone have any Ideas on a tank or placement?
Inside the cab is not an option for me as I am thinking about running this on a road race course and do not want a bath in gas :-hair

I have heard that a 67 mustang tank might fit. Haven't tried though

kg6tai 01-27-2015 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by DeadPhish (Post 15034928)
I have heard that a 67 mustang tank might fit. Haven't tried though

Thank you I have a friend that is finishing a 67 mustang restore I will check with him on some measurements