Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   Rear Window Seal (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1119938-rear-window-seal.html)

cparks 12-03-2011 07:29 AM

Rear Window Seal

Has anyone seen a rear window rubber seal for the big wrap around window (1960 F250) that would be without the chrome? All of the seals I have found so far have the grove for the chrome.

spurredon 12-03-2011 12:39 PM

I have only seen those with the trim but will look around a bit.

theodore/teddy 12-03-2011 03:06 PM

Cparks; according to my parts guide, there was just one seal for the wrap-around back window for 57-60 B7C-8142084B That would be channeled for the chrome trim as it was a custom cab. I don't know if the lack of trim in the seal would effect the function of the seal. A quick check shows green sales has a dozen of the seals. I have been known to give misinformation, so maybe numbers dummy (or someone else) will set us straight.

cparks 12-03-2011 04:09 PM

I have been looking on and off for a few months, and have yet to find one. Maybe like you guys are saying, it is because it does not exist. I was figuring that it did not come factory this way based one some research, but was hoping maybe an aftermarket company may be making one.

NumberDummy 12-04-2011 04:28 AM

From the 1957/63 Ford Truck Parts Catalog (available on a CD from hipoparts.com):

1957/60 F100/1100:

B7C-8142084-A .. Back Glass Weatherstrip-Use without Wrap Around Glass / Reproduced

B7C-8142084-B .. Back Glass Weatherstrip-Use with Wrap Around Glass / Reproduced

That's it...there isn't another.

If you have a Custom Cab, but it does not have the mouldings...now...it did originally. A previous owner, at some point...likely replaced the back glass, as it had broken, omitted the mouldings.

With mouldings: The weatherstrip has a groove in it. It can be a PITA to install these mouldings, one possible reason why they were omitted.

Or...one or more of the mouldings (there are four) were damaged when the back glass was broken, possibly caused by something in the bed moving forward when a PO came to a stop.

B7C-8142404-B .. Back Glass Moulding-Lower Right / Obsolete

B7C-8142405-B .. Back Glass Moulding-Lower Left / Obsolete

B7C-8142430-B .. Back Glass Moulding-Upper Right / Obsolete

B7C-8142431-B .. Back Glass Moulding-Upper Left / Obsolete

AFAIK, not reproduced. No Ford Dealer or obsolete parts vendor has any.

cparks 12-04-2011 07:55 AM

Thank you for the help. I actually damaged one of the pieces removing the window, and was thinking since I did not have the chrome around the windshield, I would just delete it on the back window too. But I will now see if I can have the piece repaired or find a replacement. Thanks again for the info.

lwclark 10-04-2013 10:52 AM

Thanks for doing this research two years ago guys.

I just took my '60 with a new LMC windshield and a seal in the bed to a glass shop here in Austin. The glass shop was recommended by Austin Speed Shop. The seal has a channel for the chrome around the windshield, and the glass shop won't install that. They'll only install it without the chrome, and the seal with the chrome channel won't seal if you don't put in the chrome. They said the last time they did a chrome trim windshield, it took them 6 hours to get the trim in the seal.

My back glass seal is shot, but I guess if I get a new one I'll have to do it myself. I wonder if a chromeless front window seal would work in the back window if I cut it. Any opinions on that idea?

Fridge on.

cparks 10-04-2013 11:54 AM

I am not sure, but would be interested if it would work. I will be needing to figure out something this winter. This would be the only chrome trim on my truck. Not very hard to install it. Sort of surprised a glass shop would say that though. I could put the back window in with one helper and install the chrome in under 30 minutes.

59Terry 10-04-2013 07:52 PM

I also bought new seal from LMC. I am not a glass man but I could not get the chrome in, so I put it in without it. It does not seal up all the way. Not sure what I will do next. There is another company that makes seals with ford factory molds. Dennis Carpenter, They have both.

Danleig 10-04-2013 08:05 PM

Silly question, but what about just blacking out the trim?

lwclark 10-04-2013 08:22 PM

Danleig, It's not a question of the chrome appearance. It's about getting a seal that doesn't have the slit for the chrome. Putting the chrome in is very difficult, but if you leave the chrome out then the seal... isn't.

Above ND stated that there never was a big back window seal without the slit for chrome.

theodore/teddy 10-04-2013 08:51 PM

I put my front in the way the manual said (put the glass and chrome trim in the rubber first then mount to the opening using a string and soap. Managed to do it with some help from my wife. The wrap around back may be more difficult, I don't know, mine is the small flat back, non custom but I added the chrome trim to the front for a little bling. LOL

lwclark 10-04-2013 09:10 PM

That's encouraging. Thanks.

Walston 10-05-2013 05:53 AM

I installed the windshield myself and put the SS trim in, it was quite easy. I am not sure what the shop guys are concerned about. Might need a different shop.

NumberDummy 10-05-2013 11:04 AM

The stainless steel back glass reveal mouldings are installed on the weatherstrip FIRST .. then the weatherstrip is installed on the back glass.

There is no way...NONE...that once the weatherstrip is installed on the glass, that the mouldings can be installed, as the groove cannot be expanded far enough for the mouldings to fit

Most people...in todays world...including some autoglass shops...are unaware of this procedure which is the same for installing the stainless steel windshield reveal mouldings.