Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Flathead Aluminum Intake Manifold (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1118797-flathead-aluminum-intake-manifold.html)

1951flatheaddave 11-28-2011 03:52 PM

Flathead Aluminum Intake Manifold

Hello, I have a 1951 F1 Flathead V8 with a cast iron intake. I found a guy selling an aluminum intake for a very reasonable price but he is unsure of the year. My iron one has 2 holes towards the front, oil fill and breather tube I believe, did the 48 and older or 53 and newer in take have these too? The aluminum one has these two holes as well so I think it is the same design but would rather be safe than sorry. I tried looking on Jegs and Summit for a comparison but they use the "representative image" for their intakes and they had both designs shown for older and newer engines and some that said they would fit from 38-53, maybe they are interchangeable and I just dont know it.

Thanks!

ALBUQ F-1 11-28-2011 04:12 PM

Canadian engines for some years in the 48-54 era used aluminum versions of the stock intake manifolds. I have one, paid about $75 for it as I recall. They weigh about 100 lbs less than the cast iron ones (not really but it feels like it). They also used cast aluminum timing covers, but those aren't necessarily a direct bolt on.

You "can" use a 38-48 car/truck intake manifold on an 8BA, but you lose the improved crankcase ventilation of the 8BA style manifold, and have to make some easy internal changes (removing a stovepipe that is under the manifold). You'd also have to use the early-style fuel pump stand and probably the pump itself, and use an early style pushrod.

It sounds like you are looking at a Canadian C8BA manifold; it's easy to tell as it will have casting marks "C8BA" or "C8RT" in plain view.

1951flatheaddave 11-28-2011 04:18 PM

Thanks Ross, if it isnt the 48-53 style I am not interested. I am not looking to make all of those changes. Here is the link to the intake, let me know what you think.

Its the intake on the right

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

ALBUQ F-1 11-28-2011 05:02 PM

I can't figure why he's selling the two together?? I'd tell him to throw the c.i. one away rather than ship it.

It's real hard to tell as dirty as the one on the right is, but it appears to 8BA and if he says it's aluminum, it's probably a Canadian intake. You can see the fuel pump stand behind the c.i. intake is the earlier style, and that carb looks like junk. If you want a Canadian intake, PM me and I'll give you the address for a source.

1951flatheaddave 11-28-2011 05:11 PM

He said it has the casting "C8BA" on the intake. He said he would sell the aluminum intake seperately and just relist the cast iron one and the carb. He said for $20.00 he would include the shipping. He said he feels the carb is worth the most money and only really wanted $10.00 for each intake and $50.00 for the carb. So I thought for$20.00 it was worth the gamble. Thanks again Ross!