Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   6.7 OIL FILTER LOCATION (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1118789-6-7-oil-filter-location.html)

Rick Eady 11-28-2011 03:19 PM

6.7 OIL FILTER LOCATION

HAVE ANY OF YOU HAD PROBLEMS WITH KNOCKING THE OIL FILER OFF, OR DAMAGING IT DUE TO IT'S LOCATION?

Hdslider 11-28-2011 03:28 PM

Haven't heard of not 1 person having a problem.

kper05 11-28-2011 03:44 PM

No. I don't see how this is possible.

Biggziff 11-28-2011 04:16 PM

A few speculated early on that this could be an issue, but I've yet to read of it happening.

720Deere 11-28-2011 05:11 PM

If you manage to knock the oil filter off, you need to write Bill Engvall so he can make you a sign! Seriously, it does seem to hang down, but the front axle offers a lot of protection for the filter. It would be virtually impossible to have a problem going forwards. I could see how something could happen in reverse, but again that would almost take a very careless act on the part of the driver.

kper05 11-28-2011 05:47 PM

I'm guessing, were this to somehow happen, breaking the filter off would actually cause major damage to the hardware holding it on or would the filter bend/tear off (being thinner metal)?
The compacted graphite iron is supposed to be fairly strong stuff though.

2. Oil pressure switch
3. Engine Oil Temperature (EOT)
sensor

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=86229

Pacman51 11-28-2011 06:21 PM

Come on guys....a screaming troll at his best. Joined in March 2011 and his first post is today and it's a internet "scream" about a nonexisting "problem". Troll.

Biggziff 11-28-2011 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pacman51 (Post 11089932)
Come on guys....a screaming troll at his best.

I disagree....it was a legitimate question asked without any attitude that I could read.

Lots of low post count posters on here that aren't trolls. :D

Hdslider 11-28-2011 07:24 PM

I imagine there's alot of us when we 1st seen it thought oh this isnt a good design. But it has proved itself to be well thought out. No problem. My truck has seen some places I woulda thought I might tear up the filter, but it hasn't happened.

rollerstud98 11-28-2011 08:11 PM

Back before I joined this site, I used to come and read a lot, then one day it made me sign up to read any more, it was still a few more months after that before I posted anything I'm sure.

CornTruckDriver 11-28-2011 08:48 PM

:-whudWhats rong with being a troll? Popping out from under bridges and collcting tribute. And the outfits are so cool.:-whud

TRENT310 11-29-2011 01:14 AM

I think this ties into the recent discussion about the oil pan... and they both hang down at the same level.
I'd think you'd hit the front axle arms first before anything. So if you guys somehow manage to destroy the oil pan and filter on your trucks then you must be totally ripping the guts out of the undercarriage when driving normal vehicles right?

http://img.ahtr.net/DSC_1737.JPG

You could have the oil filter behind a skid plate like on a Tundra... but how many times have I heard complaints from Tundra owners about having to pull the skid plate (which takes all of like 90 seconds, really) before changing the oil filter?

I think we want the thing right in the middle of the engine bay when you open the hood (like on the Navistar engines) and gravity drains the filter for you when you take it out ... but then you're looking at the open hood of a 6.7L equipped SD and you're wondering 'where the heck would I fit an oil filter in here?'

But for fun, let's consider the failure mode. The filter is made out of material thicker than a pop can but more or less like a soup can right? (You guys punch them by hand when doing oil changes so it's not THAT thick.) I think it would take the hit without ripping part of the engine block off, although spewing all your oil out in the process.

Rick Eady 11-29-2011 08:34 AM

OIL FILTER PLACEMENT

THANKS FOR THE AMMO. JUST ADDED NEW TRUCKS TO OUR FLEET. THE ASSIGNED DRIVERS HAVE CONTACTED THE OWNER , WANTING TO MODIFY BY ADDING REMOTE FILTER AND REMOVING LOWER FRONT AIR DAM AND MUDFLAPS.

DemonRace6 11-29-2011 08:47 AM

Trent is that a pic of the 2011 F350? or the tundra?

Either way its not likely that you can rip it off, I had an extra long fuel filter that hung below everything and I never even noticed dents on it. I don't do any serious off roading but there are dirt roads and rocky roads I drive on with no problems.

TRENT310 11-29-2011 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by DemonRace6 (Post 11092357)
Trent is that a pic of the 2011 F350? or the tundra?

Either way its not likely that you can rip it off, I had an extra long fuel filter that hung below everything and I never even noticed dents on it. I don't do any serious off roading but there are dirt roads and rocky roads I drive on with no problems.

That's my 2011. Note the plastic 1/3 turn oil drain plug and the composite pan that has stirred quite a discussion lately. I took pictures of the underside on day 2 while it was still clean so I can use it for demonstration purposes when making posts lol.