Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   Won't turn over - no spark?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1118770-wont-turn-over-no-spark.html)

Redonkulous BOB 11-28-2011 02:11 PM

Won't turn over - no spark??

Truck has fuel. Bought new ignition coil, ignition control module and voltage regulator. Truck cranks but nothing there, it wants to kick over but can't, checked for spark - none.

Red-Tail 11-28-2011 02:48 PM

did it run before the new parts? when did it last run?

Redonkulous BOB 11-28-2011 06:00 PM

Yes it ran, it ran last in Auegest. People are telling me it's a poosibly distributor problem. It might not be "in" right.

Red-Tail 11-28-2011 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Redonkulous BOB (Post 11089831)
Yes it ran, it ran last in Auegest. People are telling me it's a poosibly distributor problem. It might not be "in" right.

did it run like crap then? did you do anything to in since it last ran (besides the tune up stuff)? did you check your plug wires to make sure they are on correctly? did you adjust the distributor at all since it last ran?

made sure you have all the wires on the coil correctly?

Redonkulous BOB 11-28-2011 06:35 PM

It did run like crap then but only because the previous owner did replace the head gasket he blew causing antifreeze to go in the oil. So that being said I rebuilt the engine. Everything is wired up properly and rechecked. Distributor wasn't touched other then pulling it out to rebuild engine. Coil hooked up properly too.

Redonkulous BOB 11-28-2011 06:44 PM

Previous owner did not* replace the head gasket he blew.

Red-Tail 11-28-2011 09:35 PM

pull the cap and plug #1 and make sure you are getting compression when the roter comes around to #1. you might have your dist 180* out. It's an easy check.

Redonkulous BOB 11-29-2011 09:57 AM

There's compression. Turned distributor to either side and some spots it back fires.

OldStyle 11-29-2011 10:14 AM

So if you have a test light on the pos side of the coil and turn on the key, do you have power? If not you might need a new ignition switch.

If you do have power then check to see if it happens at the correct time.

Distributor wasn't touched other then pulling it out to rebuild engine.
Mark your dist where the number 1 plug wire is. Then turn the engine over and with the #1 plug out. When you feel compression at TDC #1 note where the rotor is pointing. It should point to the mark you made. If not reclock the dist.

For a engine to run it needs to have fuel, spark, and it needs to happen at the correct time.

Redonkulous BOB 11-29-2011 02:57 PM

If my truck ran before how could I need an ignition switch? Because of the possiblity of no power would mean that the switch would not be letting the power through till the key is turnt to "start"?

If I do have power and it don't happen at the right time what does that mean? Timing? If so, the timing chain wasn't touched.

Red-Tail 11-29-2011 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Redonkulous BOB (Post 11093925)
If my truck ran before how could I need an ignition switch? Because of the possiblity of no power would mean that the switch would not be letting the power through till the key is turnt to "start"?

If I do have power and it don't happen at the right time what does that mean? Timing? If so, the timing chain wasn't touched.

sometimes when you disturb old wiring (or when a car has sat for a year or more) parts just go bad.

make sure you have power with the key in the 'run' position, and make sure you have power to that wire when cranking. Sometimes you will not have enough power when you are cranking.

you can also put a timing light on while you are cranking to see if you have spark, and you may have better luck getting the timing close to get it to start.

also make sure your battery is charge up real good. I have had many issues solved by just charging the battery.

OldStyle 11-29-2011 04:58 PM

You said you have no spark.

The first thing I would check would be see if there was power to the coil.

You said you took the distributor out.

To make sure it is installed correctly you bring the number one cylinder to Top Dead Center. Then you see where the rotor is pointing, it should point to #1 plug wire location on the cap..

Redonkulous BOB 11-29-2011 07:48 PM

i understand parts going bad but it started and ran fine before just a lil rough. what wire or where am i checking out for power? the wire(s) on the coil? reminder: coil, voltage reguator, ignition control module, starter coil brand new. battery does have a fresh charger to it.

Redonkulous BOB 12-06-2011 12:10 AM

Truck runs now!!! Problem was timing was off. Now just to get the odds and ends tied up and put her back on the road. Thanks for your help guys!!

Red-Tail 12-06-2011 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Redonkulous BOB (Post 11119112)
Truck runs now!!! Problem was timing was off. Now just to get the odds and ends tied up and put her back on the road. Thanks for your help guys!!

awesome! glad to help out!