Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   69 F350 Bump Side Crew Cab Restoration (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1118144-69-f350-bump-side-crew-cab-restoration.html)

smitty3215 03-02-2014 06:21 PM

For turbos what are you going to be doing with the truck and what are you looking to spend on a turbo? There are a ton of 300 series turbos that are awesome if you want to spend some money.

brobrad 03-02-2014 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by smitty3215 (Post 14125322)
For turbos what are you going to be doing with the truck and what are you looking to spend on a turbo? There are a ton of 300 series turbos that are awesome if you want to spend some money.

Spending big money is not an option. I need the best bang for the buck. If I can by good used and rebuild. It would be fine.

brobrad 03-28-2014 12:51 PM

ONE step closer. I bought a Hobart 140 Mig Handler today. a guy had it and burned about 3lbs of wire and sold his project. He had 4 pair of vice grips, cutter, bottle, cart, auto-tenting shield, gloves, bottle and regulator for $420. It welds super sweet.

NOW, I'm hoping to start doing some patch panel work. Maybe just maybe I can get going good during April. I got a denny -t stage 2 pin for my 5.9 cummins as well. BTW, also got a used HE351CW turbo. Little by little the parts are coming in so I can get her rolling.

grinnergetter 03-28-2014 07:50 PM

Got the same welder and I'm sure it will treat you well. Only thing I ever replaced was the whip and it was recently. I bought it about 15 years ago.

Awesome price...:-X22

crazed87bronco 03-28-2014 10:15 PM

Good score on the he351 I just picked up the same one for my crew this week.

brobrad 03-29-2014 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by crazed87bronco (Post 14209975)
Good score on the he351 I just picked up the same one for my crew this week.

Good deal, let me know what kind of difference it makes for you compared to what you had! Is the current one an HX35?

crazed87bronco 03-29-2014 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by brobrad (Post 14210509)
Good deal, let me know what kind of difference it makes for you compared to what you had! Is the current one an HX35?

Yea i have the stock charger that came on the 96 12v's haven't got to drive my truck yet still more work to be done. From what I gather it's a nice upgrade with a killer spool up. Only thing is the exhaust housing is small but still capable of putting out some nice numbers.

brobrad 04-04-2014 03:29 PM

OK, sold another project so i have few dollars to work on this one again for a while. I plan to buy some upgrades to build my 47RH 4x4. I have several upgrades i did on my 2wd that I'll do on my 4wd. One thing i need to do is get the steel planetary gears. WHERE's A GOOD SOURCE? should i find some used ones out of a 47re or search for new ones. I'm going to leave the stock number of clutches ( i think) in the tranny, upgrade the servos, accumulators and a few valve body mods.

Also, i'm plan to clean up and re-seal the 5.9 VE out of a 92.5 Dodge. It was still strong, but I want to in good shape for the install. I'm going to check all bearings as well. I'm looking for 60lbs valve springs also. All gaskets and seals will be Genuine Cummins parts for sure.

BTW I'm using a 2nd gen dodge intercooler and a brand new radiator I had purchased to install in the truck I just sold.

brobrad 04-11-2014 10:18 PM

Short BED

I picked up a pristine Short Bed (72 model) in Tuscaloosa, AL today. I'm ashamed of price, but its in excellent shape. I was planning on going long bed (still might) But the short bed sure does look good. My biggest concern is shortening the frame that much. It will be killer on the short radius turns in 4x4. It'll wabble like a duck.

I'll post up some pics later as well. The guy threw in the ratty cab. It does have "cowl"???? that is in good shape. I spent the afternoon drilling out tach welds so I can swap it over to my 69 CC. the doors, floors, and corners are rotten. Seat looks good if anyone needs it.

Also got my hammer/dolly sheet metal set in from HF. Finally getting a little momentum. I hope I can stay on it this time.

brobrad 04-19-2014 09:48 PM

Finally Home

Finally Got her home today. I just brought the cab with me so I could get it ready for blasting. I found more rust damage up front than I expected. I really need another core support. I don't think there's enough to build to for me at this point.
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...psb94a93d0.jpg

some of my brackets up front are completely gone. Here's what it should look like and the next is what the rusted out ones look like.
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...ps602a5dfe.jpg
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...psff5d62b8.jpg

Core support rotten!
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1194bc32.jpg

Many of my bolts had to be cut off with my grinder. They were "FUSED" to the clips. The biggest issue are those that I can't get the grinder to. The clips broke on couple of them. Of course its the hardest to reach. I'm having to cut them with a pair of vice grips and hacksaw blade.

HOWEVER, I'm very glad to have it home to work on it.

brobrad 04-21-2014 08:46 PM

Body Preperation

I just spoke with a guy who is doing the dustless blasting locally. I looked up the cost on their website and he seemed a little high. I'm just wanting cab, doors, hood and short bed done at this time. He said it would be about 1400 (cutting me a deal) to blast it and hit it with an epoxy primer. He said material and labor cost about the same. ACCORDING to the dustless blasting website, the media/chemicals would only cost about $200-$250 at the most. I'm going to shop it around a bit and see what I can find, but I simply can't afford to spend $1400 on the blasting.

Having said that, I don't want to spend a hour here and there and take three months to prep the body. Anybody have any suggestions or care to share your experience with the prep time/cost?

brobrad 04-22-2014 10:26 PM

I did get some original west coast mirrors on the way todayhttp://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...ps31df8134.jpg

I've talked with a few guys today about dustless blasting and have come to the conclusion that I can't afford it. It would be great, but I'm going to do it panel by panel on the small stuff and work on the big sections over a weekend or day off here and there. I tried out my orbital sander with some 100 grit tonight and it will shuck it to the bare metal pretty quickly. I plan to get some 80 grit and epoxy primer to get it working in the right direction. When I loaded it up at my dad's I noticed 5 lbs of rat dung in rear portion of the cab and a big hole tunneled under the truck. APPARENTLY, I brought him home as there were fresh pills in the truck. I put a live trap baited with cheeto's in it a few minutes ago. We'll see what happens.

grinnergetter 04-23-2014 09:42 PM

Sanding isn't thaaaat bad...just change paper more than you think you should and you'll have her done in no time. Loud motivational music helps too.

brobrad 04-24-2014 07:52 AM

[QUOTE=grinnergetter;14288167]Sanding isn't thaaaat bad...just change paper more than you think you should and you'll have her done in no time. Loud motivational music helps too.[/QUOTE

Agreed, it is much easier to bite the bullet and roll through the paper without trying to use it up completely. The orbital sander makes it pretty simple, but you've got to be carful not to flatten out places along the body lines. I'm going to use some aircraft stripper and maybe a small sand blaster to take care of some places.

brobrad 10-30-2014 04:33 AM

Update

A few things I'm considering on the build. First, (its decided) I'm using a P7100 97 engine with 75 original miles. I had a guy offer me 2700 for it, but passed it up. I pulled oil pan and cross hatching still visible on cylinder walls. I've spoken with TST products and plan to use their 3k gov spring and #4 fuel plate. That should get me close to 300 hp and plenty of torque to the ground.

Second, I've found a couple different ways to get the body prepped. A guy 90 miles north of me has a vat to remove all rust and then go through an electro coating process-cost =2500 with a 6 month waiting period. It is an electro-alkaline process and a zinc coating would be added before the elector coat primer that covers every area with paint. The other option is a guy about 80 miles south that has been restoring for decades would sand blast and epoxy primer for 1200. The extra 1300 is killer, but it would be dipped. How much difference will that really make in the long run?
After either process there would be the need to do the body repairs.

Still not much time to proceed with the project list, but having a great time with the family. I guess this will be around when the Kids have all flown the coup.