Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   DVD Head unit with GPS, BT, etc. Looking for suggestions... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1117378-dvd-head-unit-with-gps-bt-etc-looking-for-suggestions.html)

RUNVS 11-22-2011 11:32 AM

DVD Head unit with GPS, BT, etc. Looking for suggestions...

I would post this in the audio section but as many guys are in this section I'll probably get more replies.

My truck should be done TODAY!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!

I'm already planning the next few upgrades including an alarm w/remote start and a new head unit to replace the factory CD unit.

For the HU I keep adding features I want so I know it's going to be a costly unit but for those who have upgraded I am looking for the following:

- DVD
- DVD output (for rear monitor)
- GPS Nav built in
- Video input (for input from rear camera)
- Bluetooth
- Voice commands
- Integrated ipod controls

I don't need things like Pandora or Satellite radio but wouldn't turn down a unit b/c it had those things. I'm doing a lot of research and it seems that a unit may shine in the ipod integration and BT but lacks on the GPS side or vice-versa.

Anyone installed a unit in their truck with all those capabilities that they'd recommend?

Anyone have a 2-way alarm with remote start that they are happy with?

Looking for suggestions on both as the wife stated these are on my Xmas list and I can point her in the right direction!! Thanks!

SlickYamaha 11-22-2011 12:14 PM

I'm looking at skit of the same features in a head unit. I have been looking at pioneer 3300bt unit. I think amazon was around $350 without nav.

Sarge261 11-22-2011 12:37 PM

I have the Kenwood DNX5120 it was served me well for over 5 years now. I need to update the Garman maps but other than that I love it. It has all the features you are looking for, I have a SIRIUS box hooked to it and love it for long trips. Also the Ipod feature works great, I cant report on anything else because I havent hooked a BU camara to it or sync'd my blackberry to it either.

I am sure there is a newer version with more options out there too. The fit is great as well. Looks like it belongs in there.

I have heard great things about the newer Pioneer stuff as well.

Sarge

rjfetz1 11-22-2011 12:39 PM

I have the pioneer avic-x920bt - love it!

Fosters 11-22-2011 06:37 PM

I had the kenwood ddx512 - same one as Sarge's but without navigation - in the excursion and hated it. First, they decied to save money on a set of rear RCA jacks and made one set configurable in the software to function as either rear channels or subwoofer outs. In the excursion I needed 6 channels to begin with, so that left me 4 channels short. Ended up having to run line output converters off the amplified outputs to get 4 extra channels for the mids/highs amp.

In the marauder, I went with a cheaper but surprisingly good no name brand, a valor stereo. Unlike the kenwood, they didn't go cheap on the jacks, and provided one for everything needed. It didn't have as many settings as the kenwood, but it sounded better for some reason. This was a valor dd858w. In the new truck I picked up another Valor, dd-806, and it does absolutely all of the stuff i want it to, has jacks for everything, and the one feature that both the kenwood and the previous valor didn't do, it handles USB drives and SD cards over 4gb (up to 32gb on this one). And it is way faster at accessing usb drives and starting up. The craftsmanship may not be as good as Kenwood's, the interface is not as cool or refined, but once you get over this stuff, the rest of the stereo is top notch.

For the next stereo I think I'm going to build a double din indash pc and put it in the mustang. That way I can get rid of the worthless optical drive (I don't think I've bought a cd or dvd in ages), get rid of the built-in amplifier (haven't ran speakers off the deck in a while either) and instead add the ability to run car related apps, play Mp3s and capture video at the same time...

MisterCMK 11-22-2011 06:47 PM

Run away from Clarion. Their customer service SUCKS and their product is lackluster at best.

IROCKWITHDIRT 11-22-2011 09:51 PM

I'm thinking about one of these Features | Ca-Fi Infotainment

jh818 11-23-2011 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by IROCKWITHDIRT (Post 11069211)
I'm thinking about one of these Features | Ca-Fi Infotainment

Very interesting! What kind of subscription do you need to use this? Do you sign up with Verizon or ATT? No more unlimited plans with them.

sammy77 11-23-2011 06:14 AM

Personally, I'd stay with a Kenwood, Pioneer, or Alpine. Kenwoods has the Garmin built into it, which IMO is the best/user friendly Navi out there. Just get a unit that comes with free lifetime updates. Shop around and find the model that best suits your needs. As far as remote start, I love my Smart Start. I can do everything from my phone.

sammy77 11-23-2011 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by jh818 (Post 11069615)
Very interesting! What kind of subscription do you need to use this? Do you sign up with Verizon or ATT? No more unlimited plans with them.

Very good point!!

IROCKWITHDIRT 11-23-2011 06:56 AM

Can't say I know for sure. It has it's own GPS antennae so I'd guess that would work with no data connection.

As far as a data goes, they say U can add a USB modem. That tells me you should at the very least be able to tether an android phone to it if not connect wireless.

Dunno, it's pretty new. Waiting for some actual hands on reviews before I pull the trigger. Sounds good!

Fosters 11-23-2011 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by IROCKWITHDIRT (Post 11069965)
Can't say I know for sure. It has it's own GPS antennae so I'd guess that would work with no data connection.

As far as a data goes, they say U can add a USB modem. That tells me you should at the very least be able to tether an android phone to it if not connect wireless.

Dunno, it's pretty new. Waiting for some actual hands on reviews before I pull the trigger. Sounds good!

the price is crazy high for what is essentially a tablet made to fit a double din format... :-hair

Kindle fire is 200 bucks; or 1/4 that price... Definitely needs some competition :)

IROCKWITHDIRT 11-23-2011 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Fosters (Post 11070143)
the price is crazy high for what is essentially a tablet made to fit a double din format... :-hair

Kindle fire is 200 bucks; or 1/4 that price... Definitely needs some competition :)

Dunno, I think your really comparing apples to oranges. The kindle woudn't get you GPS and can only connect via wi-fi. In the market of in-dash 2din navigation receivers $799 is middle of the road.