Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   My 1996 F350's doors won't unlock? Any way to manually open a door? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1116817-my-1996-f350s-doors-wont-unlock-any-way-to-manually-open-a-door.html)

CountryGirl3294 11-20-2011 03:22 AM

My 1996 F350's doors won't unlock? Any way to manually open a door?

I have power locks and etc and the locks went nuts and keep clicking and when I press the unlock button they wont push up for I can open the door. My luck my key for the door doesn't work because they people before me changed out the ignition. First I thought maybe the battery is too low for it to push the locks up (happened before) so I charged the truck and I can remote start the truck and it started up fine but the doors won't unlock. So I was wondering if there is a way of manually opening the door without breaking a window.

DRRXR 11-20-2011 06:55 AM

All sorts of answers

There are several answers to this from

Call the police and they may help you
Call a locksmith and they will help you
Pry the back sliding glass and bump it open with a thin metal strip and find a thin person
Use a coat hanger (doubled up) and un a U slide in by the pasenger door and wiggle and feel until you hit the armature and then pull up.
Pry the top of the door out and shim it and then use a wire to lasso the lever handle.
Under the outside door lift handle theres a slight gap (left side of handle) passenger side too. and a Z- shaped rod/bar can be worked in there. Flipped around and then watching the lock pin up top know when your on the lock armature and then twist the z-rod to lift the lock armature up
Slip a coat hanger through the top of the flap window and poke the unlock button.
Break a window- not
ALL PRYING INTO THE DOOR AREA, SHOULD BE DONE ON THE PASSENGER SIDE
Easier
If the window is slightly down use a coat hanger to push the auto unlock switch button shapping the hanger as you go.

My pick
Get two butter knifes and bend each over , work one in until it can hit the button on the fold out window. Then work the other knife in over the top of the other slowly and aim at the flip handle of the fold out window. Then pull back on the one knife and push in the button and the press the other to flip the lever handle up. As soon as you get it turned a little, the button stays in and then you can push the lever all the way over with the other knife.

Once inside I would disable the add ons till you figure out the failure of the electronics or leave a window cracked all the time with a coat hanger thrown in the bed.

Welcome new FTE member
Let us know how that works out.

RubberDuck 11-20-2011 07:16 AM

ABSOLUTELY there is a way to get in your truck. Use the universal OBS key! It kinda ties into what DRRXR said in the end about the butter knives.

On older model Ford trucks and cars they have a brake master cylinder with a metal lid with a wire metal latch that runs over the top of it to keep the lid sealed. This wire latch, is perfectly formed to open your wing window.

Fish the latch/wire under the rubber of the wing window and the bend is almost perfect to push in the button, and grab the handle at the same time. And the wire is thick enough were you can twist on it to rotate the latch on the wing window.

I keep on just laying the bed of my truck. Nobody ever knows what it's there for except people that know this trick. I've used my so many times from locking my keys in the truck that I can actually open the wing window as fast as using my keys to unlock the door. Hope that helps. Trust me, when you see this work, you'll be amazed how easy it works.

RubberDuck 11-20-2011 07:23 AM

Also, you might check out my other thread I just posted for a possible solution once you get the doors open. The thread is "OBS crew cab owners read this".

DIYMechanic 11-20-2011 07:40 AM

I have to admit, I have used the sliding back window as an emergency entrance at times. My latch is pretty easy to open just by prying between the two windows with a pocketknife or butter knife, screwdriver, etc.

I like Rubberduck's idea about the Master Cylinder latch trick though. Might have to grab one of those next time I'm at the JY.

JamesHajek 11-20-2011 10:07 AM

That's what wing windows are for...

CountryGirl3294 11-20-2011 10:25 AM

Thanks, I used a butter knife and a wire and managed to get the door opened by opening the triangle window.

CountryGirl3294 11-20-2011 10:27 AM

I dont have a back sliding window to my truck.

DRRXR 11-20-2011 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by CountryGirl3294 (Post 11058774)
Thanks, I used a butter knife and a wire and managed to get the door opened by opening the triangle window.

Originally Posted by CountryGirl3294 (Post 11058788)
I dont have a back sliding window to my truck.

GOOO DEAL

:-jammin:-jammin:-jammin

Ford4Life7.3 11-20-2011 06:34 PM

Welcome to FTE! Glad you got it unlocked. Now the fun part is diagnosing it lol. Once again, wing windows save the day.

f350rebel7788 11-20-2011 10:51 PM

Just for everyone's information: a few months back my dog broke my rear drivers side window out (jumped right through it to get at someone who walked too close while I was in the store :D). When I got a new window, the tech said he's seen hundreds of these trucks, and that the large door windows are the best ones to break if you have to. At about $140, I wouldn't recommend it, but it's way cheaper than the vent window. He said that's the most expensive one on the truck for two reasons: it's small with more precise angles/cuts so it requires more attention when making it, and it's the most commonly broken window so Ford decided to raise the price... he said the cheapest one he's ever seen replaced new was $400, and he's seen as much as $700 for one. So if you HAVE to break one, pick a big one! Lol

oldbird1965 11-20-2011 11:22 PM

I usually just reach under and get my magnet hide-a-key out, }>. If I lose that then the big window it is!

Talyn 11-21-2011 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by RubberDuck (Post 11058170)
ABSOLUTELY there is a way to get in your truck. Use the universal OBS key! It kinda ties into what DRRXR said in the end about the butter knives.

On older model Ford trucks and cars they have a brake master cylinder with a metal lid with a wire metal latch that runs over the top of it to keep the lid sealed. This wire latch, is perfectly formed to open your wing window.

Fish the latch/wire under the rubber of the wing window and the bend is almost perfect to push in the button, and grab the handle at the same time. And the wire is thick enough were you can twist on it to rotate the latch on the wing window.

I keep on just laying the bed of my truck. Nobody ever knows what it's there for except people that know this trick. I've used my so many times from locking my keys in the truck that I can actually open the wing window as fast as using my keys to unlock the door. Hope that helps. Trust me, when you see this work, you'll be amazed how easy it works.

I'm unfamiliar with the part you are talking about.
But I discovered the trick when it was below freezing outside.
I used 2 coat hangers. Put one into a hoop to pull the latch, and the other to pull in the button.

Just pull the button with one and the latch with the other.

I'll have to check into this magic tool, cause my 94 has a plastic lid on it.

Talyn 11-21-2011 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic (Post 11058232)
I have to admit, I have used the sliding back window as an emergency entrance at times. My latch is pretty easy to open just by prying between the two windows with a pocketknife or butter knife, screwdriver, etc.

I like Rubberduck's idea about the Master Cylinder latch trick though. Might have to grab one of those next time I'm at the JY.

one night at the airport I had to open my truck with the rear window.

It had the replacement no break latch on it.
That was a joke, it was no match for my leatherman.

I poped it in at the top and worked it down towards the latch then twisted it.

The window never did shut right after that though.

DIYMechanic 11-21-2011 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Talyn (Post 11062808)
one night at the airport I had to open my truck with the rear window.

It had the replacement no break latch on it.
That was a joke, it was no match for my leatherman.

I poped it in at the top and worked it down towards the latch then twisted it.

The window never did shut right after that though.

As far as I know mine is just the plastic OEM latch, but it takes about 5 seconds for me to MacGuyver it open with my Swiss Army knife's screwdriver. Now if I could just find that can of spray paint and borrow your chewing gum I will have us out of this prison in a minute or two....