Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Cab Heater (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1116177-cab-heater.html)

bearqst 11-17-2011 10:43 AM

Cab Heater

Looking for ideas for a cab heater, not an extra inline heater that runs off the H2O lines, but an electric one I can run when the engines going.

JC Whitney shows 2, the first seems a bit low in the heat out put, based on comments and the 2nd one "ZeroStart" looks like it'd work, but no controls for temp levels.

We hit -41 (f) below yesterday and today and man was she cold inside the cab. I use my rig for work-to-home travel, about 15 miles and its just not enough to keep me comfy at these temps.

Any ideas ?

Chief901 11-17-2011 11:10 AM

This is an option from Ford when you order your Super-Duty, you might be able to order one.

Rapid-Heat Supplemental Cab Heater
The available self-regulating Rapid-Heat Supplemental Cab Heater helps bring the interior temperature up to a comfortable level more quickly. It raises the cabin temperature until the Power Stroke® Turbo Diesel engine gets warm enough to provide the sufficient heat. (requires Power Stroke™ diesel engine, extra heavy-duty alternator or dual alternators, and air conditioning)

bearqst 11-17-2011 11:16 AM

Thanks Chief,

Would of thought the dealer would of said something about it considering that -40 is pretty normal during the winter up here.

Guess I'll be calling today :)

jack_pine 11-17-2011 11:22 AM

I thought I read a thread here somewhere that said they would be very difficult to install after the fact.

Will see if I can find that. -40? Where are you?

uscgmkcret03 11-17-2011 11:31 AM

Bearqst, Auto trim has grill inserts for our trucks, they are proud of them, bought one last weekend and was gonna put it on this weekend, but I'm not taking grill apart in these temps, cant fit it in garage.
The rapid heater will be on all the time because the engine temp never comes up. Wondering what this would effect if it is running everytime we drive.

Only -38 this morn, love this enterior Ak weather

slipry14 11-17-2011 06:42 PM

Would have been nice if Ford would have offered a cold front for us owners in cold climates. Really helps the warm up of diesels.

darren32 11-18-2011 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chief901 (Post 11048176)
This is an option from Ford when you order your Super-Duty, you might be able to order one.

Rapid-Heat Supplemental Cab Heater
The available self-regulating Rapid-Heat Supplemental Cab Heater helps bring the interior temperature up to a comfortable level more quickly. It raises the cabin temperature until the Power Stroke® Turbo Diesel engine gets warm enough to provide the sufficient heat. (requires Power Stroke™ diesel engine, extra heavy-duty alternator or dual alternators, and air conditioning)

IMHO, the rapid heat does very little at those temps. I actually didn't even know I had it until someone asked me about it. It's good for keeping the window defrosted a bit until the truck heats up but adds very little heat to the cab. Winter front and high idle is what I do when it's really cold.

Thanks

Painted Horse 11-19-2011 12:50 AM

You could look into a cab heater like the big rigs and marine boats use to heat. Go on Ebay and search for Espar heaters. They run on 1 gallon of diesel for 8 hours and will the sleeper on full size semi. You can find them on Ebay for around $800. They also make a version that taps into your engine coolant and keeps your engine at 170° for double or triple that price. Which would give you almost instant cab heat.

Either version can be set up with a timer to start up at pre-defined time to pre-heat the cab for you or for the gallon of fuel they consume just be left on for your 8 hours at work.

darren32 11-19-2011 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Painted Horse (Post 11054511)
You could look into a cab heater like the big rigs and marine boats use to heat. Go on Ebay and search for Espar heaters. They run on 1 gallon of diesel for 8 hours and will the sleeper on full size semi. You can find them on Ebay for around $800. They also make a version that taps into your engine coolant and keeps your engine at 170° for double or triple that price. Which would give you almost instant cab heat.

Either version can be set up with a timer to start up at pre-defined time to pre-heat the cab for you or for the gallon of fuel they consume just be left on for your 8 hours at work.

A lot of guys that work out of town in my area use the espar and love them. They say they work great. Two people that live on my block have them. I have never had one, I am almost always somewhere I can plug my truck in.

Dim Sum 11-20-2011 06:21 PM

I really wish Ford made a cold weather front for this truck. I miss it from my 6.4.

I don't want to install those ugly stick on tabs either for the aftermarket ones :/

bearqst 11-21-2011 02:13 PM

Jack-Pine, Fairbanks Alaska, were breaking record low temps for Nov. At this rate I expect top see -65 (f) come Jan.

uscgmkcret03 - brought the inserts from Auto trim, work to about -15 / -20, then I'm wearing my parka or at least a light coat. Ordered a padded grill bra from Ak Tarp and Tent, hopefully they'll have it done by Tuesday or Wed.

I was looking for a decent cab heater but couldn't find one that would safely fit in the extended cab. So I'm back to bra and supp cab heater. The drive from North Pole to town is just to short to get the cab warmed enough, hoping this helps before the real cold hits :D

lkbrow1 11-21-2011 02:42 PM

I was in Whitehorse in a 56 Ford truck with a camper on the back when it was -72. Left truck run all night. No wind that morning thank goodness.

cford716 11-22-2011 01:42 AM

Someone looked into adding the supp heat after the fact last winter I believe. I remember them saying it was very expensive. If you didn't get it from the factory I don't think you will be adding it now.

uscgmkcret03 11-22-2011 11:22 AM

Bearqst plz let me know how padded cover works, it attaches with the snaps like their other cover's ???, if you dont mind me asking how proud of it are they, I had cover for my f-150 was gonna see if I can adapt n over come with it but I cant find it.

Painted Horse 11-22-2011 12:04 PM

A truck purchased in Alaska probably does have the Rapid Heat option, But a Darin stated, At those temps it doesn't do much. The Rapid heat has nothing you as a driver can control. It is just an electrical element that heats up when you first start the truck. As soon as your coolant is up to temp it automatically turns off. It's a 1500 watt element. (Similar to a hair bolwer/dryer) You can imagine how long it would take to warm your truck if you were just running a hair dryer. It's purpose is to help get the windshield defrosted and start to take the chill off the cab until the coolant gets up to temp. And yes it is expensive to retro fit,Since you would be pulling the dash out to install new heater core.

The aftermarket heaters like Espar or Webasto offer multiple products, from forced air cab heaters to coolant heaters that bring the coolant up to higher temps. I would think, if your trucks heater is not able to keep up with the cold in your area, Some sort of external extra heat will be needed.